More of the Usual Criticizing of UK Combat Troops by US Officers

I think you missed 'ex-colonial' ;-)

Oh, and it's 'criticising'...
I cannot win......I was castigated the other day on another thread for my previous practis....grrr...ce showing the "correct" spelling of terms so I dropped it in my usual effort to "just get along" and be a nice and agreeable person.

I am at a loss........

I cannot win......I was castigated the other day on another thread for my previous practis....grrr...ce showing the "correct" spelling of terms so I dropped it in my usual effort to "just get along" and be a nice and agreeable person.

I am at a loss........
Thats alright JJ, we are aware of your minor limitations and appreciate the endeavors you make to try and appear nearly normal. Now do you want a hug, a balloon and an ice cream or are you all cried out now? :thumright:

Thanks for the link btw, good to see.

Thats alright JJ, we are aware of your minor limitations and appreciate the endeavors you make to try and appear nearly normal. Now do you want a hug, a balloon and an ice cream or are you all cried out now? :thumright:

Thanks for the link btw, good to see.
I will be....ok.....in a few more minutes. Please bear with me as I really cannot deal with rejection or disapproval.

I swear, will the ex-colonial, evil, stupid, overaggressive, careless, arrogant (take breath) ungrateful, shallow, bigoted, cretinous, rednecked, ill-educated (note his degrees), fat (note his condition), etc. etc. septics never say a good word about us?

Gen Petraeus hails Paras for precision attack - Telegraph
Bloodt Septics... either at your feet or at your throat. He probably wanted a quick snuggle with the Mortar Platoon.

This ain't the first time Petraeus has given UK forces a pat on the head like McCrystal I think a lot of arrsers know him to be US ally friendly.
You don't have to go out of your way to prove a point JJH any fool (me for example) can see that all the competant members of the US armed forces all respect the combat troops of any other nation.
The only ones with anything bad to say are either a bunch of stupid politicians or those who have spent their entire careers sitting behind desks far away from the realities of the whole thing.

I feel I owe an apology to the vague entity that is 'US High Commanders' for my tarring of them with the brit-hating brush. I've always had a lot of respect for Patraeus as a military man and this shows him to have a little political savvy as well.

This ain't the first time Petraeus has given UK forces a pat on the head like McCrystal I think a lot of arrsers know him to be US ally friendly.
You don't have to go out of your way to prove a point JJH any fool (me for example) can see that all the competant members of the US armed forces all respect the combat troops of any other nation.
The only ones with anything bad to say are either a bunch of stupid politicians or those who have spent their entire careers sitting behind desks far away from the realities of the whole thing.
I know and do not mean to appear insulting to ARRSERs in general--I am merely using my usual ironic device to remind us all of the point you make with a wink and nod instead of a cosh.

I feel I owe an apology to the vague entity that is 'US High Commanders' for my tarring of them with the brit-hating brush. I've always had a lot of respect for Patraeus as a military man and this shows him to have a little political savvy as well.
I would humbly add USMC leaders to that list in spite of the characterizations by some to drive a wedge between our forces by conflating concerns about strategy and numbers of troops with actual combat performance as the lurid headlines try to suggest:

British Afghan effort criticised in Wiki cables

Fri, Dec 3 2010
By Michel Rose
LONDON (Reuters) - British troops were "not up" to the task of securing Afghanistan's troubled Helmand province and the local governor pleaded for U.S. reinforcements, American diplomats said in cables released by WikiLeaks.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai also thought security in the province, a Taliban stronghold, had deteriorated after British troops were stationed there in 2006, the cables obtained by the website and reported in The Guardian newspaper Friday said.
"We and Karzai agree the British are not up to the task of securing Helmand," U.S. diplomats from the Kabul embassy said in a 2008 cable published by the Guardian.
The Helmand governor, Gulab Mangal, told a U.S. team led by Vice President Joe Biden in January 2009 that American forces were urgently needed as British security in Sangin district did not even extend to the main bazaar.
"I do not have anything against them (the British) but they must leave their bases and engage with the people," Mangal said, according to a cable sent from the U.S. embassy in Kabul.
"Stop calling it the Sangin district and start calling it the Sangin base -- all you have done here is built a military camp next to the city," he added.
The Ministry of Defence and the U.S. officer now in charge of NATO forces in southwestern Afghanistan, where Helmand lies, defended the performance of British troops.
"UK forces did an excellent job in Sangin ... delivering progress by increasing security and taking the fight to the insurgency," the ministry said, referring to one of the most violent areas of Helmand.
U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the cables did not represent the opinion of U.S. President Barack Obama's administration nor the "vast majority of Americans."
"We greatly appreciate the British commitment," she said in an interview from Bahrain shown on BBC television.
"I personally want to convey to the government and the people of the United Kingdom both our deep respect and admiration for the extraordinary efforts and our regret if anything that was said by anyone suggests to the contrary," she said.
Major-General Richard Mills, a U.S. Marine Corps officer, said the performance of British troops was "nothing short of magnificent."
At least 345 British soldiers have been killed in the now nine-year long Afghan conflict.
BRITISH MESS
The public praise contrasts with the private appraisals of British performance in Helmand outlined in the cables.
The head of NATO forces in Afghanistan in 2007-2008 also criticised the British strategy, the Guardian said. "He was particularly dismayed by the British effort. They had made a mess of things in Helmand, their tactics were wrong, and the deal that London cut on Musa Qala (town) had failed," Commander Dan McNeil, was quoted by U.S. diplomats as saying.

McNeil was referring to a cease-fire agreement with the Taliban that allowed the British to pull troops out of the besieged town of Musa Qala in 2006.
President Karzai was quoted as telling U.S. officials that the arrival of British troops in the southern province in 2006 had coincided with a deterioration of the situation there.
"When I first returned to Afghanistan," Karzai was quoted as saying in a February 2009 cable from the U.S. embassy, "I had only 14 American soldiers with me."
"But we had the Afghan people with us, they believed in the moral correctness of what we were doing, and even Helmand was safe for girls to go to school. Now, 4,000 (sic) British soldiers are in Helmand, and the people are not safe."

British Afghan effort criticised in Wiki cables | Reuters

I am at a loss........
FFS

Practice (noun)
Practise (verb)

works for advice / advise too

And while I am on the subject, will you lot stop verbing nouns ;-)

msr

Factually incorrect. They love our grub, especially fish and chips on a Friday. Anyone who has sampled "$hit on shingle" in a US chow hall will know why.
I hope you did not believe the explanation that it really was "only" ground beef and cream sauce! Sometimes septics can be very accurate with their quaint idioms.

I think you missed 'ex-colonial' ;-)

Oh, and it's 'criticising'...
No, JJH is right, the common English usage is wrong. Inspector Morse said -ize was right, so there.

Words derived from Greek should be spelt -ize. Latin derivations should be -ise, the Romans originally didn't have a Z(ed) and adopted one for the zeta in the many Greek words they'd adopted.

It's a one-off event JJH so don't go getting all uppity about it.

No, JJH is right, the common English usage is wrong. Inspector Morse said -ize was right, so there.

Words derived from Greek should be spelt -ize. Latin derivations should be -ise, the Romans originally didn't have a Z(ed) and adopted one for the zeta in the many Greek words they'd adopted.

It's a one-off event JJH so don't go getting all uppity about it.
Moi? As I continue to assert, I am but a humble servant of truth and justice and would never get uppity.