More of Labours Dirty Election Tricks

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...lab22.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/05/22/ixhome.html

Labour supporters masqueraded as 'real people' during the election
By Elizabeth Day
(Filed: 22/05/2005)

Labour used its supporters to pose as independent members of the public during the general election campaign, it has been revealed.

The party's press officers were told to search through computer files entitled Real People when they needed case-studies of voters supposedly without any party affiliation.

Jenny Kleeman infiltrated Labour campaign HQ before the election
The files have been exposed by an undercover reporter working for Channel 4's Dispatches programme. They are organised according to topics such as community, mortgage and crime - and include family doctors, police officers, teachers and pensioners who toe the party line without revealing their links to Labour.

Jenny Kleeman, the reporter who infiltrated Labour's campaign HQ in the run-up the general election, said that she became aware of the files after co-ordinating Tony Blair's Election Pledge launch in Battersea, South London, in February.

She told The Sunday Telegraph: "Afterwards, a press officer told me with no hint of irony that 'at these events, we like to use what we call Real People'. Then, when I was in the office, I was browsing through the shared computer drive and I found this series of folders with lists and lists of names. Each name had comments beside it like 'enthusiastic', 'married', 'Catholic, six kids, not party member', 'young couple, early 30s, expecting first child'.

"One doctor had 'Will allow use of surgery/endorse NHS' on his file, and appeared in national newspapers, medical journals, Radio 4's The World At One and Radio Five Live endorsing the Government's plans for the NHS. Yet he had presented himself as an independent GP, speaking of his own volition."

Kleeman said that she was not sure whether the people in the files knew that their details were being kept in this way. She added: "Labour hides its own involvement so it looks like individuals are spontaneously inspired to rally to the cause.

"No one I worked with thought there was anything wrong or disingenuous with this - they said it was just politics. But it is relevant because Tony Blair is part of our political process.

"I listened to him give a speech in which he said that we need to explain, engage and listen. Well, he never had any intention of doing that - it was all a veneer of engagement, it was not reality."

Dispatches Investigation: The Dirty Tricks Election will be shown tomorrow at 8pm.

Shocking behaviour I agree, but these people are employed to ensure that their Party is re-elected. :roll:

Now may I suggest that you stick to reading the Lifestyle section of the paper on a Sunday as it won't send your blood pressure up. You do need to relax at the weekend. :wink:

Come the revolution I'll pull the trigger - if I can get to the front of queue!!! A plague of tight shoes and gout on all our politicians!!!