More new kit for Basra

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Richard_North, May 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here and here

C-RAM batteries for base protection
    Elbit Systems' Hermes 450 tactical UAVs for the Royal Artillery
    King Air 350ER special mission aircraft for the Army Air Corps

2. Interesting. The plan therefore seems to be turn basra airport

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/middle_east_and_asia/basrah_2003.jpg

into an unsinkable aircraft carrier, compleate with CIWS, housing a brigade, UAV's (450 and Preditor B), ISTAR aircraft and helo's, with the Iraqi Army 10th division doing the grunt work.

From the look of these report the powers-that-be are not only digging in for the long hall, but providing funding for the high-end equipment needed to do so.

3. What's being cut to fund this?

4. Well it won't be the bloody Corps of Musicians, not now they're getting all "tactical".

5. Its coming out of the UOR budget.

6. Oh so everybody's got to loose a bit of budget then?

UOR = Cuts for everyone :D

7. Luckily, thanks to the unique way the British Army is funded, we don't pay for ops!! All UORs come out of the Govt's contingency fund.

8. Why so cynical? The Goverment are right behind the Troops.............about 2500 miles behind.

9. On the brightside, at least the IDF attacks are being taken seriously now. glad to see it when it gets rolled out. Too late for some but this kit will save lives.

10. I thought IDF was bloody serious...near dropped my pizza once...LOL

11. Yep, The NHS pays, Education, Customs and Excise, Home Office etc etc as I said cuts for everyone! :x

12. Why do I suspect the Phalanx installations will be stripped from type 42 destroyers?

13. There should be 4 spare pairs from the T42 B1's in storage, together with a pair from Fearless.

14. There should be, but the MOD has a record of destroying perfectly good equipment istead of storing it.

15. The systems are new and not coming from the 42's!