More money wasted

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Speedy, Feb 5, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Make sure you read this to the very end...

http://www.jordanembassyus.org/102399006.htm

How many millions (billions?) did we just give away? No wonder the MOD keeps running out of cash.
    Surely a buyer could have been found somewhere in the world? Mind you, if Iraq is anything to go by whoever buys them from us would be invaded soon after by the US and our good selves.

2. ok do you know anything about what was going on in Jordan this time last year. Becuase i would say we're looking at repayment of a favour.

So thats were the Challey 2's that won't be needed when they disband the armoured brigade.

3. 8O

4. Repayment for a favour, improving the forces of our allies in the Middle East or just getting rid of old hardware that would otherwise have to be destroyed? Any one or all could be part of it. They'd cost more than the shipping costs to Jordan to scrap in the conventional sense. You can't just smelt them down for the scrap metal nowadays.

We can't just sell tanks to any old third world country like we used to be able to do in the 'good old days'. They might be used to oppress somebody!

The only other options available would have been to spend a fortune storing them and never having the trained crews to use them if we wanted to, or sit them on a range somewhere so the infantry can fire things at them and get all depressed when they fail to do more than dent them. Niether very good for moral.

Life..... sometimes not as complicated as you think :roll:

5. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Unlike the danger of 45 min WMD, which proved to be rather less widespread and serious than was apparently believed to be the case at the time.

Just how long can this lying cretin hang on for?

6. Gosh

I bet Israel are chuffed to bits , now one of their Arab neighbours has a very capable MBT.

I like that bit "Donated in recognition of King Husseins work in Middle East Peace"

Shome Irony shurley :)

7. did anyone read the date?

8. Good MBTs they may have, but using them effectively is something else :!:

9. Gosh

I bet Israel are chuffed to bits , now one of their Arab neighbours has a very capable MBT.

I like that bit "Donated in recognition of King Husseins work in Middle East Peace"

10. Gosh

11. I wonder what services the jordanians were being paid for?

Nothing to do with the hush hush work that was going on over the Iraqi border during the war, I wonder.... :wink:

In any case who else could we sell/give them to? Let's face it we could not sell them to anyone with the price of arguably better russian kit on the open market...

In any case I cannot think of a more deserving country in the Middle East to get them far better than the two faced saudis, etc....

As for the quaking Israelis, I think not - I am sure that the exported versions do not have all of our capabilities - know what I mean :wink: :wink: