More MoD penny pinching

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, Dec 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

So BAe has won a multi million pound contract to carry out the maintainance of the RAF Tornado GR4/4A & F-3 fleet of jets,saving the taxpayer,(sorry,I meant the MoD!) over £510 million!!
    After a ex-Tornado pilot,Sqn Ldr Simon 'Budgie' Burgess, who was on my old Sqn in Germany was killed a few years ago thru pennypinching,I wonder if this a good or a bad thing.
    All of the RAF Groundcrew are extreemy proffesional in their work & I just hope that BAe can keep up this high standard.

Link;

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9069-2516824,00.html

Attached Files:

2. More civillianisation of the Forces :(

3. If it is like the 'privatisation' of the flight simulators a few years ago, the sequence will be like this:
    1. Prime Contractor wins with the lowest bid.
    2. Services Tradesmen currently doing the job made redundant, with a lump sum and a pension.
    3. Prime Contractor approaches said tradesmen with a derisory offer (because they bid below realistic cost) saying 'but of course you have your pension to make up your wages'.
    4. Tradesmen tell Prime Contractor to poke it - Prime Contractor employs unqualified, inexperienced herbert off dole queue, Equipment poorly maintained, Prime Contractor makes lots of money.

Didn't something like this happen with Tornado maintainance and a company at Hurn Airport a few years ago?

4. Cheap bids give cheap service, look at the NHS cleaning fiasco.

5. It's important to remember that the blokes who were competent to build and test fly the machine are equally competent to deep maintain it. That said, it's not good for military cohesion when civ contractors make up a large element of what should be the Eng Wing.

I think the Firm may have learned the lesson of cheapest isn't best from Airwork writing off all those Tornado mainplanes.

6. Quite