More Military Cuts

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Acid_Tin, Apr 25, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is in The Telegraph today:

2. Dirt_Diver

Dirt_Diver LE Moderator

Words fail me. absolutely disgusting.

3. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

This is disappointing but not surprising; as usual those who can't fight back are being targeted. Can you imagine the government trying to cut the pay & allowances of nurses, police officers, teachers or even politicians?

It would be interesting to see if the allowances of MOD's own civil servants will be affected. For example, the huge allowances they get on posting, such as having a washing machine, dishwasher, telephone and tv aerial installed at public expense, on top of disturbance allowances already higher than those of the military.

The civil servants from Contracts Branch, with whom I dealt until recently, used to travel to meetings by Club Class air ticket, in order to spout about money-saving! Their latest ploy is to save money by unilaterally changing the terms of the contract to remove their responsibility for paying for various items.

The depths to which this deeply unsavoury and cynical government will sink never cease to amaze me.

It seems appropriate to post this link again: www.faxyourmp.com

4. Dirt_Diver

Dirt_Diver LE Moderator

looks like i won't be getting the higher rate of pay at all, then! ball sacks!

5. As a current NATO posted chap I love seeing the mighty arrive here. NATO regs are that you must be 3* or above to be treated well and get anything other than Cattle Class. It is wonderful to see them get all flustered and uppety, then deflate slowly. They just get on with it.

Fully agree with all the Civil Servants perks. I knew a couple of them that got themselves posted between 2 areas a couple of times. Got the MoD to fork out the differences in house costs and made it all back when they wangled a posting back to the cheaper area. Far more than we spend in a year I reckon. :roll:

6. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

The Sunday Times reports today that:

"In the past the government has publicly admitted only a 3% fall in productivity since Blair won office. Experts say the new figures suggest £20 billion a year of taxpayers' money - equivalent to almost 6p on basic rate of income tax - has been wasted on soaring wage claims and burgeoning bureaucracy, at the expense of frontline services."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1087272,00.html

The article goes on to describe how the Dear Leader has instructed the Office for National Statistics to change the way some of their figures are compiled so that the Party (New Labour - New Lies) can present a 'more credible story' at the next election.

7. This is why we need some sort of federation. There does not need to be the prospect of strike action, merely the "official" disapproval of the body representing AF personnel would make politicians think twice about cuts to terms and conditions and the very bad publicity this would generate.

When I get out (shortly) I will identify the local rags of the Armed Forces Minister and the Secretary of State for Defence and write to them, urging their electorate to consider the damage done to the Armed Forces when crossing the box on the ballot paper. It will achieve nothing but will make me feel better! :twisted: