• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

More media support - think theyve been reading ARRSE...

Least with the times, there seem to be some accurate reporting and not just half truths, I like the style of not dressing it up and tell it as it is. Would seem your right Hans.

Is it just me or are these sort of articles, which seem very hard-hitting to me, increasing in frequency over the past month?

AA Milne, Clarkson, psychological fears and now this (as an example)...when will the message get through?

An excellent piece of writing which, I think sums the situation up nicely. It remains to be seen if the pollies finally start to take note and do something before the whole house of cards comes crashing down.

Well done Libby Purves and thank you.

F

fozzy

"But it is not their fault. It is the fault of callow, modish thinking since 1997 and relentless cheeseparing before that. Politicians must grasp that it is not enough to wear a poppy on TV and pose with tanks. If you’re going to have an army, treat it with respect."

Absolutey spot on.

Can we send Libby a bottle of something nice for that?

As a regular reader of The Times and her articles, I find her very pro Armed Forces.

A spot on piece of reporting. Finaly, a writer who isnt afraid to let people know whats going on/being covered up.

as fozzy said, she deserves a thankyou!

stameen_s said:
Is it just me or are these sort of articles, which seem very hard-hitting to me, increasing in frequency over the past month?

AA Milne, Clarkson, psychological fears and now this (as an example)...when will the message get through?
A A Milne's last mention of the Army was in his poem about Christopher Robin's visit to Buckingham Palace to see the Changing the Guard. A A Gill, on the other hand, visited Iraq recently with Jeremy Clarkson. :roll:

Another excellent article by Libby Purves. Let's hope the government take note.

ViroBono said:
stameen_s said:

A A Milne's last mention of the Army was in his poem about Christopher Robin's visit to Buckingham Palace to see the Changing the Guard. A A Gill, on the other hand, visited Iraq recently with Jeremy Clarkson. :roll:
Freudian slip, my apologies :oops:

B

Biscuits_AB

Another 'feet on the floor' article. Thank you to the lady who wrote it.

How many of the decision makers will read it and how many will do something about it, which doesn't involve doing something for themselves in the process?

Is it now time for the Heads of Sheds to spell it out for Tony or is his head still buried so far up his own arrse that he won't hear them.

I too read Libby Purves - and it's very true article by someone who is respected as a quality journalist/opinion former.

Do two things today:

Write to your MP deploring the situation. I focused on the "historical investigation" aspect.

Write to The Times letters@thetimes.co.uk expressing your support for Libby Purves and her article.

Libby Purves said:
...the Army’s informal website...
Not the first time Libby Purves has quoted ARRSE as one of her sources for an excellent article.

Good to see us quoted in the same breath as Kipling!

what an outstanding article. airs alot of concerns already played out on the site and many other conversations in naaffi bars and mess's alike. the only trouble is it wont do any good. Wish one of the cabinets kids could join up and then tell daddy how much we are being shafted. Bet wills and harry dont see the true face of it all.

Makes a nice change I also read/listen to Libby Purves but give it a week or two and the scum/guardian etc will come up with something equally negative but then will probably run some self promoting scheme for 'our lads/lasses in the forces in Iraq' in the run-up to Christmas.
Big thanks to Libby!

sniper9 said:
what an outstanding article. airs alot of concerns already played out on the site and many other conversations in naaffi bars and mess's alike. the only trouble is it wont do any good. Wish one of the cabinets kids could join up and then tell daddy how much we are being shafted. Bet wills and harry dont see the true face of it all.
1. What a good article from Libby Purves.
2. Wills and Harry will see the damage but will not be able to do anything about it.
2. The political elite would never allow their children to join up: why waste a perfectly good education at very posh state or private schools, and all their contacts! No, only poor people join the Army and they don't have a vote, and are expendable.

Litotes

Latest Threads