More Knee troubles

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Imshi-Yallah, Feb 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well chaps, I have had to stop running for the time being and have been advised that I have Crepitus and thinned cartilage in my left knee.

Now I've been advised by two different physios that I should be ok to run again once things are all strengthened up. But I have to avoid running with weight, or standing around with weight, as well as impact exercises like squats etc.

Has anyone here found a way to reconcile similar problems with soldiering and the inherent load carrying?

2. Are you a serving soldier? If so, you should get a biff note to excuse you from said activities. If you're a civvie, then put plans of joining on hold.

I'm not sure what your question is?

Squatting isn't an impact exercise, though obviously still don't do it.

3. Although 'bunny hops' used to be the preferred method of tearing completely a partially tyorn meniscus (cartilage) to enable surgery. I hope and suspect that current practice is less traumatic.

4. Well I'm a weekend warrior at present (outside the UK), so there is an amount of military activity that I can't really get out of without basically packing it in.

And really I want to do this sort of thing for a living. Which is my quandry, because I don't want to give myself up to a civvy life but I'm facing the prospect of an extremely short shelf life in the military.

No...but their light scales (Flipflops, dress, chest rig) would certainly take some of the load bearing out of the equation.

5. Do you know what your username means by anychance? I am slightly confused about why you would have that as your name lol.

J.