More IT Help Needed

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by SlimeyToad, Jan 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi troops,

My poor brain cell is yet again overtaxed.

I have a PC and a Laptop, both running XP Pro SP2. Both access the internet via a NetGear Wireless Router secure connection to Virgin Media cable.

Now, being the bone idle tawt that I am and for the sake of simplicity I only want to host my personal folders on the PC and be able to access them on the laptop via the wireless connection.

It would also be handy to be able to access the PC via the internet but this is not essential.

So, how do I do this?

Cheers,

ST

2. what i can remember from when i did networks at college, if both the pc and laptop top are linked on the same wireless network if you right click the folder you want and go to properties you should be able to set it to 'shared' and then on the laptop you should be able to view it via the network, if none of that made sense there's a guide thing here
    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/sharewinxpfiles.htm

3. msr

msr LE

4. To access your "My Documents" folder on the PC from the laptop, run the Network Wizard (within XP).

You would need to make your documents on the pc available to share. Right click on the folder > Security & Sharing > Highlight the circle to share the folder > name the folder what you want to call it > apply.

To get to your pc from the internet, you could use Remote Desktop, but far easier (though you have to pay for it) is use Go To My PC

Hope this helps

5. You could also use LogMeIn for remote access to your PC

For a single PC it is cost free

6. On the PC, right click on the folder in question. Click the properties tab and look at the sharing tab. Click on share this folder. Add permissions to who you want to allow read/write access to.

On your laptop, map the folder as a network drive. Double click my computer, click tools, map network drive. Using the browse button, click the shared drive. You can also setup some sync between the two. Let me know if you need to do this.

7. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Mate, I have done all the above a while ago but the ability to sync is really useful - pse tell us how!! Thanks

8. Cheers troops,

I'll put the above in to action when I'm home next on Wednesday evening.

Will report back any success or any evidence of gross tardiness (new meaning) on my part.

ST

9. msr

msr LE

10. mysteron

Thanks MSR. But my work laptop is not allowed to have unauthorised applications on it. I am allowed wireless and networking but not to bang on addition apps. Pain the bum. Is there a way through Windows XP?

11. Give this a spin - it's from Microshaft but works well. Idiots guide is on the link also.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0fc1154-c975-4814-9649-cce41af06eb7&DisplayLang=en

12. msr

msr LE

Er, run it on the other computer?

msr

13. mysteron

Good point.

What is that my man? Hat and coat are ready for my collection, thanks awfully...... and a taxi as well - you are just too kind.

14. Ever considered a home server? Old PC, throw in a couple of hard disks, install FreeNas and Bob's your Auntie. Access to all your folders, handy back up (depending on the size of the disks) all for very little outlay.

http://www.freenas.org/

Just a thought

15. As a step further from this...how would I access a printer that is conected to my PC from a laptop when they are both connected to a bt home hub wireless thingymagig?