• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

More IT Help Needed

#1
Hi troops,

My poor brain cell is yet again overtaxed.

I have a PC and a Laptop, both running XP Pro SP2. Both access the internet via a NetGear Wireless Router secure connection to Virgin Media cable.

Now, being the bone idle tawt that I am and for the sake of simplicity I only want to host my personal folders on the PC and be able to access them on the laptop via the wireless connection.

It would also be handy to be able to access the PC via the internet but this is not essential.

So, how do I do this?

Cheers,

ST
 
#4
To access your "My Documents" folder on the PC from the laptop, run the Network Wizard (within XP).

You would need to make your documents on the pc available to share. Right click on the folder > Security & Sharing > Highlight the circle to share the folder > name the folder what you want to call it > apply.

To get to your pc from the internet, you could use Remote Desktop, but far easier (though you have to pay for it) is use Go To My PC

Hope this helps
 
#6
On the PC, right click on the folder in question. Click the properties tab and look at the sharing tab. Click on share this folder. Add permissions to who you want to allow read/write access to.

On your laptop, map the folder as a network drive. Double click my computer, click tools, map network drive. Using the browse button, click the shared drive. You can also setup some sync between the two. Let me know if you need to do this.
 

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
#7
Bravo2nothing said:
On the PC, right click on the folder in question. Click the properties tab and look at the sharing tab. Click on share this folder. Add permissions to who you want to allow read/write access to.

On your laptop, map the folder as a network drive. Double click my computer, click tools, map network drive. Using the browse button, click the shared drive. You can also setup some sync between the two. Let me know if you need to do this.
Mate, I have done all the above a while ago but the ability to sync is really useful - pse tell us how!! Thanks
 
#8
Cheers troops,

I'll put the above in to action when I'm home next on Wednesday evening.

Will report back any success or any evidence of gross tardiness (new meaning) on my part.

ST
 

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
#10
Thanks MSR. But my work laptop is not allowed to have unauthorised applications on it. I am allowed wireless and networking but not to bang on addition apps. Pain the bum. Is there a way through Windows XP?
 
#11
mysteron said:
Bravo2nothing said:
On the PC, right click on the folder in question. Click the properties tab and look at the sharing tab. Click on share this folder. Add permissions to who you want to allow read/write access to.

On your laptop, map the folder as a network drive. Double click my computer, click tools, map network drive. Using the browse button, click the shared drive. You can also setup some sync between the two. Let me know if you need to do this.
Mate, I have done all the above a while ago but the ability to sync is really useful - pse tell us how!! Thanks
Give this a spin - it's from Microshaft but works well. Idiots guide is on the link also.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...54-c975-4814-9649-cce41af06eb7&DisplayLang=en
 
#12
mysteron said:
Thanks MSR. But my work laptop is not allowed to have unauthorised applications on it. I am allowed wireless and networking but not to bang on addition apps. Pain the bum. Is there a way through Windows XP?
Er, run it on the other computer?

msr
 

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
#13
Good point.

What is that my man? Hat and coat are ready for my collection, thanks awfully...... and a taxi as well - you are just too kind.
 
#15
As a step further from this...how would I access a printer that is conected to my PC from a laptop when they are both connected to a bt home hub wireless thingymagig?
 
#18
FFS, I give up!!

I've got a Netgear Wireless Router with a wireless network set up named ABC.

I've set up the PC with a network called ABC and the laptop with a network named ABC. File and Printer sharing has been set up.

The network shows up in Windows Explorer on both the PC and the laptop but the PC only sees itself and likewise the laptop.

Both the PC and the laptop can access the internet independently but just can't see each other.

I've read through the suggested on-line literature but I cannot find any articles entitled "Wireless Home Networks for Complete Mongs!"

:? :? :?
 

Latest Threads