More incentives needed for service in HM Forces?

I've never served in the US Armed Forces but when asked if I'm a veteran at checkout I tell them I was British Army, a couple have went away and checked but for the most part a lot of the places I go to accept my service and I get the discounts.
Is it normal to be asked if you are a veteran by the girl on the till? I just get asked if I want cashback.

Wetneck

Old-Salt
Is it normal to be asked if you are a veteran by the girl on the till? I just get asked if I want cashback.
I was on holiday in Texas about 10 years ago and they asked it almost everywhere as automatically as "do you have a clubcard" at a Tesco over here. It seemed strange at the time.

Every time I've been to the States, working or holiday, I've asked for and been given 'Government Service Discount' on production (originally) of my ID card, and then on more 'relaxed IDs - last time was my RNA membership card - which does look VERY official. It's got a photo, Union Flag and everything!

Quite a good amount off hotels.

The list of benefits that veterans and serving in the US military get are un-ending - Amex Platinum card with waived annual fee, the GI bill gives free college to veterans (and maybe serving?) after a minimum terms of service, all of which would cost thousands here in the UK considering their equiv of uni actually is college, they get treated like gods literally, alot of national pride and support also goes along way to boosting the morale of those who served, I'm sure giving a few extra perks to regs and reserves would go a long way...

There are probably a hell of alot more benefits of the US benefits vs UK but that's the few I could come up with off the top of my head?

No, it is not.

College is college, university is university.

A college based Associates degree takes notionally two years to complete. An Associates degree is somewhere at the level of ONC to HND.

A university degree takes four years. It takes four years because when they finish school at 18 here they are at the level of a european kid who finishes school at 16. The extra year is basically the first year which does the foundation subjects equivalent to doing A levels.

A two year college degree also includes many of the foundation elements of four year degrees.

Most two year college degree's can be used as stepping stones to a university where you then only need to do the final two years of a four year degree.

I have done courses at three colleges over here in the US. Each of those colleges had a dedicated walk in veterans office where you can discuss funding, allowances, and other issues you may have pertaining to a move from military to academic life.

I'm regularly asked that at a gun range I go to in Tampa and when I reply in the UK, they apply a discount anyway.

Much appreciated.

I have the 10% military discount with Lowes and Home Depot.

When we were down your way we used to have the annual pass for Busch Gardens and Sea World with a discount for being ex-military. Universal Studios we had the annual pass for too with a discount. Whilst we lived there we never actually went to Disney as it was always overly busy when we had previously been, but they vary in offering discounts to forces personnel. At the shows in Sea World they would actually ask serving and former members of the military to stand up for a round of applause.........meh, never bothered.

There are regular offers at car dealerships for an extra 10% discount for uniformed personnel; anyone from a paramedic, cop, firefighter, or serving military would benefit.

I have the 10% military discount with Lowes and Home Depot.

When we were down your way we used to have the annual pass for Busch Gardens and Sea World with a discount for being ex-military. Universal Studios we had the annual pass for too with a discount. Whilst we lived there we never actually went to Disney as it was always overly busy when we had previously been, but they vary in offering discounts to forces personnel. At the shows in Sea World they would actually ask serving and former members of the military to stand up for a round of applause.........meh, never bothered.

There are regular offers at car dealerships for an extra 10% discount for uniformed personnel; anyone from a paramedic, cop, firefighter, or serving military would benefit.
Have I missed something? I thought you were ex British Army, did you do a bit with the Colonials as well?

Have I missed something? I thought you were ex British Army, did you do a bit with the Colonials as well?

British army, I just wave the MOD 90 at the colonials, point out that we are all friends and it works wonders.