More Huge Council Cuts Coming....

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by geezer466, Apr 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I see at last now they are getting down to the nitty gritty......

Then of course the fact we have all been living well beyond our means for a decade and more meant this was going to catch up sooner or later.

I've seen estimates of evasion and avoidance loopholes which if closed could net £25Bn, according to lefty types who might have a vested interest in 'bigging up' the number. Let's say it's accurate though. That leaves a mere £95Bn to find to close the Government spending deficit.

It's inevitable we'll be paying more for the same or less, or paying a lot less for less, as we ain't been paying the going rate for the current suite of services on offer for over a decade.

The standard of political discourse in the UK is a joke. The sooner we start having an honest debate about what we are prepared to pay for, and what sort of services we can realistically afford for that, without punting the costs down the line to future generations, the better. Unfortunately it seems on the current course we'll be rearranging deckchairs until the ship hits the seabed.

Free school meals may be scrapped by councils under 'tidal wave' of cuts - UK Politics - UK - The Independent
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I'm actually a fan of free school meals for all, but if they have to go, then they have to go. Perhaps after we've stopped all this sort of nonsense:

£450m Hub | Inside Croydon
    £32m new council headquarters to open on Monday (From York Press)

I don't accept that council offices have to be as lavish as the very best corporate offices, it's one thing to upgrade the offices out of your profits, entirely another out of taxes. Councils should try emulating businesses that are struggling to make a decent ROI rather then ape Fred Goodwin's worst excesses. Let them see if they can pickup some ideas about prioritising expenditure and measuring returns on expenditure by speaking to some of the local businesses that pay the business rates that keep them afloat.

BTW what ever happend to the idea of no taxation without representation? As a business owner I have no recourse to my local council about how they spend the rates I pay.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

if the councils spent what they received or recovered the missing council taxes they would be rolling in money. I think its something daft like 28 billion in unpaid council taxes
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Grumblegrunt

have you tried chucking their tea bags in the canal?

I agree about the offices though - a lot of councils have cut frontline while increasing office staff so they can justify a swanky move.

gloucester is trying for new offices but to be fair their 60's block is knackered. york spent a fortune but they did move into an abandoned railway building.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Free school meals could soon be scrapped

They get more than enough money to feed their fat little grunters

Closures of municipal theatres,

Never felt the need to go watch some 'performance theatre' by the West Islington gay lesbian bisexual transgender anti nuclear hamster wool farming co-operative.

leisure centres,

Never use them, full of fat sweaty people with poor personal hygiene

Full of scary weirdoes and no books on anything you'd want to look at unless you are into hamster wool farming

play groups

You had them, look after them yourselves
    • Like Like x 7
  6. Grumblegrunt

tell me more about this hamster wool - intrigues me it does.
  7. You do know there is absolutely NO legal requirement to print any Council Form, leaflet, letter, poster or vanity magazine in anything other than English, Welsh and Gaelic.....?
    • Like Like x 6
  8. Or to provide free alcohol to councillors attending evening council meetings.

The ****ing leeches.
    • Like Like x 6
  9. I bought my wife a coat made out of hamster wool, and must say it looks very smart, but it took me 4 hours to get her off the Ferris Wheel in Blackpool.
    • Like Like x 16
  10. I'm going to disagree with all of those comments as they do perform as useful service. Especially Libraries. After all, if you're after a job, what better way than improve your chances than by going to the library and reading books to educate yourself. I feel that we no longer have a base of self educated working class people who realise that knowledge can improve your chances in life.

We're in a similar situation up here in Scotland. However I think a lot of our problems are down to politicians trying to bribe the electorate with council tax freezes. Doesn't really work in teh long run though does it.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Well there's a cost saving straight away. What better way to integrate people into society than by ensuring they can speak and read the language.
  12. Grumblegrunt

the leaflets are cheap but the fact that they feel they have to offer an interpreter in everything is offensive. before labour everyone managed quite well by taking a family member or friend along.
  13. Agreed.

By removing the ridiculous requirement to print forms in Welsh and Gaelic we could well save a few bob.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Seeing as provision of free school meals is a statutory obligation on councils, how do the local government association think that councils are going to be able to do this without primary legislation?

unless of course the story is complete and utter hysterical arsewipe to try and play that classic political game - 'parade of the bleeding stumps'

Its about as much of a news story as the annual 'RAF may have to disband the red arrows' press release.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. We have a fairly good and comprehensive education system in this country, which, with a modicum of application by people, will provide them with a satisfactory education, complete with qualifications at no cost to themselves.

Left skool at 16 with nothing to show other than a record of exclusion?

Shame, enjoy cleaning toilets for the rest of your life because you got a certificate in fail.
    • Like Like x 2