More Generals Than Ships!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by smallbrownprivates, Dec 29, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

You have faith in the Navy Media people? How quaint.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. I did point out that the RN website seems a tad neglected. I wasn't suggesting A2 was wrong, just pointing out that he couldn't use the dit he linked to to demonstrate that he was right, as it had been superseded by one which was contradictory.

3. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

HMS Gannet was lodged at Glasgow Prestwick airport which is not a naval air station and has other roles within civil avaition. A naval unit can be somewhere without owning the place.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jrwlynch

jrwlynch LE Book Reviewer

I've flown into Prestwick in a Lynx when the trials plan got rewritten at short notice... which was fun, especially since the crew did some "surface investigate" practice while being my taxi.

"You're not a nervous flyer, are you Jrw?"
    "No, why do you aaaaAAAAGH!"
    "Hands to waving stations as we pass them! Having fun?"
    "Will be once I'm back in my seat..."

Of course Prestwick doesn't do any internal flights, so the romance of arriving by military helicopter was sort of reduced when I left by bus for Glasgow... still a good day, though.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. What were you on trial for?

6. jrwlynch

jrwlynch LE Book Reviewer

Blue-on-blue missile engagements, putting a Type 45 in front of a Harpoon and seeing what would happen.

"...and the analyst whose bright idea this was, is aboard with us today..."

A confidence check rather than a difficult test, but everything did exactly what it was meant to do. (Unlike the gunnery serial the next day...)

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

Wholly irrelevant. Follow the link I posted, look at the ensign being lowered - we decommissioned - closed - GANNET. That we keep facilities there, via enabling mechanisms is irrelevant, it is after all a civilian airfield of which we can operate from any. Prestwick just happens to be strategically well placed for occasional (mayhaps increasingly) use.

You will not find a sailor with a GANNET cap tally, as an entity it is gone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  8. Wholly irrelevant. Follow the link I posted, look at the date.

9. A2_Matelot

It's website that you have even noted is not well curated. Do either of us think the content managers in Fleet Media really apply coherence checks on their content and even understand the difference between decommissioning a unit and retaining a footprint for possible future use?

In reality the PR blurb on the website states "GANNET didn't close", which is wholly inaccurate, it was decommissioned, whereas "Prestwick didn't close" would have been a better statement, but I'm guessing that it's been created by a civil servant who doesn't understand the history nor the nuance.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Sorry ... read the sub-headline quickly thought it said "halves the number of genitals ..."

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. A2_Matelot

Pointless. You're a civvy/pongo unwilling or unable to accept from a serving member of the Navy that a unit has actually closed and a website may actually be incorrect. You clearly know better.

Just because someone loads a website and says BAOR is still open doesn't make it so.

Your subsequent imaginative use of SABC speaks volumes but then again with almost 1400 to your name should I be shocked?

• Like Like x 3
  12. I'm using the same source that you used to support your statement (not only the same source, but a more recent piece which was unequivocal in its position on the status of Gannet). How come it's okay for you to use it if it agrees with you, but not okay for me to use it because it disagrees with you?
    It's the official RN website, not some sad sack's hobby-horse.
    How very hypocritical of you, to use the SABC first yourself, then criticise someone else for taking the same course of action.

13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Wasting your time A2, once Joe P gets his teeth into a subject he never backs down, regardless how wrong he is.

What is quite funny though is if you keep it up his pov will alter from post to post but at all times he will claim to be right. Eventually he will be posting almost 180 degrees from his original post.

It can be fun!

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. A2_Matelot

As we say in the mob, some people are thicker than whale omelette! I'm just intrigued by the mindset. Maybe he should stick to playing with stopwatches.

Won't continue as it will kill the thread.

• Like Like x 1
  15. A2_Matelot

Are you being deliberately dense? It's the content that's relevant. One post showed a decommssioning event with images. The other had a stock comment about an entity not closing. Simple analysis suggests one isn't quite right and the images are stronger supporting evidence.

which you had already noted was poorly curated. But of course couldn't be prone or susceptible to errors?

That's your view. My point of that SABC remains. You can take at face value a website you've already commented upon for poor content but can't take the word someone who provides a post with a differing view and supporting images.

But I now suspect you're just purposely trying to be contrary, everyone needs a hobby!