More from Cherie - I persuaded Blair to stay on after Iraq

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by redgrain, May 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. LONDON, England (AP) -- Tony Blair considered not running for a third term as British prime minister -- but his wife and others persuaded him that standing down would be seen as an admission that he had been wrong about the Iraq war, she said in her newly-published autobiography.

Cherie Blair also said that her husband decided to stand again in 2005 because he was not confident that his successor, Gordon Brown, would carry on with Blair's policies on schools, hospitals and pensions.

"Among many others, I was convinced that if Tony failed to stand for a third term, it would be seen as a response to the negative criticism of the war," Mrs. Blair wrote in "Cherie Blair: Speaking for Myself." Excerpts were published Saturday in The Times and The Sun newspapers.

"It would be read by history as a tacit admission of failure. ... I always felt strongly that he should not apologize for something he believed to be right. He could regret the lives lost in Iraq but he should not apologize for taking the right decision for the country."

She said Blair's confidence had been shaken by Labour losses in local council elections in 2004.

"There was no doubt that in April 2004, with Gordon rattling the keys above his head, Tony suffered a crisis of confidence as to whether he was still an asset to the Labour Party," she wrote.

"I remained determined that Tony was not going to resign, that he was going to fight the next election and that he was going to win it."
    Don't Miss

Labour did win, though with a smaller majority in the House of Commons than it had won in the landslides of 1997 and 2001.

Mrs. Blair's book appeared days after Brown suffered even worse results in local elections. Opinion polls now show Labour lagging far behind the opposition Conservative Party.

Tension between Blair and Brown, who headed the Treasury, was a running theme of Blair's decade in power.

The two men were leaders of the so-called modernizing wing of the party, and when Labour leader John Smith died in 1994 Blair and Brown were the leading candidates to succeed.

She said Blair felt some reluctance to seek to go first as party leader.

"He used to say in terms of ability that Gordon was way ahead of everyone and the irony is that if they'd only worked as closely together as originally agreed, his (Brown's) chance would have come sooner," she wrote.

One of the enduring stories of British politics is that the deal for Blair to go first was sealed at a meeting at the Granita restaurant in north London.

Not so, Mrs. Blair said.

Discussions between the two men began very soon after Smith's death, she wrote, but she suggested that the deal was made at the home of her sister, Lyndsey Booth.

"It was always a given that they would work in tandem and that when Tony stood down Gordon would take over. Tony also made it clear to Gordon that he had no intention of staying leader forever and that when he did stand down he would support Gordon as his natural successor, assuming they worked well together ... in the meantime," she wrote.

"As far as I know the timing was never discussed but when Tony left for Lyndsey's, I made my position perfectly clear, even if I framed it as a joke. 'If you agree with Gordon that you're going to do this for one term only, don't come back home. Because that's just ridiculous,"' she wrote.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/05/10/britain.blair.ap/index.html

2. Blair had his good points but dragging us into the Iraq war will erase any good the man has done. "The right decision for the country..."? is she arrogant, deluded or simply mad?

3. the droll bitch is all three.

this is nothing more than damage control. Bliar is still pushing for the spot of first Prez of the EU. and he will use his Zanu-Liarbour cronies to achive this aim.

fek him and his frog-mouthed lie-adjuster, opps sorry, lawer of a wife.

4. The only difference between Cherie and Tony is, she has a bigger mouth, therefore she has the capacity for bigger lies.
    I can't understand why anyone would want to buy her book (subtitled, The inane driblings of a nobody)
    I'm just surprised she hasn't claimed to be the power behind the throne.

5. Hey bitch. It was a failure!

Too bad many many good people died needlessly only because they believed you and and your hapless husband who couldn't/would not/did not have the balls to untie himself from G W Bush.

Aaaarrrrgggghhh!!!

Fecking c.unt.

6. What cracks me up is the way she compares Bliar to Winston Churchill

7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Some passages from the womans great work

"Among many others, I was convinced that if Tony failed to stand for a third term, it would be seen as a response to the negative criticism of the war," Mrs. Blair wrote in "Cherie Blair: Speaking for Myself." Excerpts were published Saturday in The Times and The Sun newspapers.

It would be read by history as a tacit admission of failure. ... I always felt strongly that he should not apologize for something he believed to be right

"I remained determined that Tony was not going to resign, that he was going to fight the next election and that he was going to win it."

[ On the deal for Tone to hand over to Gordon] As far as I know the timing was never discussed but when Tony left for Lyndsey's, I made my position perfectly clear, even if I framed it as a joke. 'If you agree with Gordon that you're going to do this for one term only, don't come back home. Because that's just ridiculous,"' she wrote.

So from what I understand between her and Prescott they appear to portraying Blair as a weak man too frightened to sack Gordon Brown and being told by his wife he would stand for a second and third term even though he didn't want to

I think the womans been watching Hilary Clinton too much

Let her publish and do all her interveiws
    The only people she is damaging is herself, the Labour party and her husband
    Middle East Envoy - A male society with little or no regard for females sitting round a table with a man whose wife told him to stand for re- election?

Hope fully between them her and Prescott will finish Blair off for good

8. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

I like the timing of the books, both Mrs Bialr and failed anroexic Prescott.

Just as Brown takes the country round the corner into the final straight for economic and social devastation, the vermin from the party set on him.

Dont get me wrong I have no sympathy for Brown at all but it disgusts me when they set about him.

Blair and Prescott are no more than chavs. They live in houses supported by public money and get aggressive and antisocial when things turn against them. its only a matter of time before we see a Citroen Saxo with a big exhaust and no front wheels on Prescott's drive... plus the length of the drive is a long way for the Chinese food delivery guy to go especially as hes carrying every tiem on the menu.

9. I have always detested Blair ever since I first saw him on the TV.
    He came across as a Snake Oil Salesman, a slippery slimy Lier.
    Now I know what I had long suspected he has a wife who he deserves.
    Blair lied about the reasons for the war and too many good men have died and others have had their lives ruined for his lies.
    Now he lives in great wealth and it is said he has the Possibility of becoming Leader of Europe.
    How sick.
    john