More EH101s for Sunny Climes

There is a duty rumour that HMG are about to magically obtain an extra six EH101 airframes at short notice from the local helicopter showroom to send out to the Bush/Bliar beach party.

Should be interesting politically if true.

are these the ones that were destined for the Dutch AF?

The rumour involved some not quite so willing donations as in "Sorry, you can have yours next year instead, Pedro." as well as at least one from the land of Modernist furniture and bacon.

Hope so, bloody good bit of kit and comfy and spacious to travel in too!

Furryturd said:
The rumour involved some not quite so willing donations as in "Sorry, you can have yours next year instead, Pedro." as well as at least one from the land of Modernist furniture and bacon.

6 from the Danish order with a quick DAS upgrade. Not because the Danes can't have them but mainly because the Danes aren't actually ready for them.

Possibly 4 new build (not from Portugal)

There has been some discussion on this subject on Rum Ration:

http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=2009.html

Also remember that the RN has twice as many Merlins as the RAF. Yes, I know that they are not designed for troop carrying and don't have a ramp, but the ASW gear can be simply removed. A similar thing happened with RN ASW Sea Kings during the Falklands and they were called Pinglies (Pingers are Anti Submarine Warfare helicopters and Junglies are for moving RM and you about).

Done....your turn Sam

heard today from my boss they are already stripping a navy merlin of all it's pinging stuff to see if it's up to the job in afghan. loads of merlin aircrew sitting around in sunny cornwall doing nothing but surfing and eating pasties.

C

cloudbuster

GingerWinky said:
. loads of merlin aircrew sitting around in sunny cornwall doing nothing but surfing and eating pasties.
Fret not, Ginger, they've had several years of practice for this.

As a confirmed Lynx detester, who has believed for years that the AAC continually buys the wrong aircraft, admittedly for Political reasons, the Problem is still now what it was back in my day.
The RAF.
The crabs do all they can to keep the Army equiped with a/c that are just too small to carry an effective Miltary load and thats in Europe let alone hot and HIGH.
I have told before how back in 1980 we had a vist while on Op Banner (669 Sqn Detmold) at Aldergrove from the Director Gen Bill,a well respected leader.
The Sgts Mes was detailed to lay on drinks for Bill and his staff and so much was learned.
I was in a group chatting with one of his staff and the subject of ac size was brought up. How the user (Infantry on the ground) prefered Service from their own kind, who understood practical military problems in the field, far better then any RAF officer ever could.
The staff officer came out with a most intresting reply.
Now youngsters need to apriciate that Gen Bill was the Royal Engineer, General Officer who carried out the indepth study on the future of the AAC back in 76/77 and who subsequently became Director AAC. I remember his visit to Minden and 'Young Peter MacQ' bringing him around and the sensible in depth questions asked.
The story was that the RAF on a study found that well over 80% of the operation sorties by the Medium Lift Helis ( Wessex & Puma) where carried out in support of the Army. Now this led to intersevice disscusions taking place on the future of the Support Heli fleet.
Matters went very much in the Armys favour and the crabs where prepared to give up Support Helis altho they insisted on retaining Chinhook.
The Army would assume responsibility for SH and INHERIT the SH fleet.
Crabs plan was to use the money saved from THEIR budget to buy a couple of Sqns of real Ac.
And then the Tresury intervend, The budget went with the SH.
So Crab threw his teddys in the corner stamped his feet and the Army was left with small helis that are suitable for a quick recce around Europe but little else.
john
Someone more knowledgeable (possesing recent gen) can write the story of Apache'.
I just remeber my last CO was one of the folk involved and old posters know my opinion of him.

Someone more knowledgeable (possesing recent gen) can write the story of Apache'.
Would that be the one about the AAC comparing the personnel required to operate an Apache (an a/c as complex as many fast jets to service) with the amount required to look after a Lynx (a Land Rover by comparison) and hence 'winning' the right to operate the Apache and thus the reason there are so many sat in hangers without spares and servicing support, even though the Army tried to tempt many RAF technicians across with promises of 'instant Sergeant'?

That was the scuttlebutt I heard at R850 anyhow.