More Defence cuts - MOD reported to be selling a tanker to Brazil

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Treasury w4nkers...tail wagging the dawg...pass the port.

It only dawned on me after 33 years that MoD had been the definitive 'Anorexic corporation' throughout my career.

Last edited:

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
I knew one of the Waves was being mothballed but not sold. I bet the RFA aren't very happy about it but the fundamental problem is not money or use, it's manpower. The RFA are short of people like the rest of the forces but they've suffered from a lack of recruitment and training. The old MOD attitiude of "recruit some merchant mariners directly" doesn't work anymore because there are no British mechant seamen and the few that do exist can be paid better for more stability.

Last edited:
I thought the numbers of vessels flying the Red Ensign had increased in recent years? As this is of strategic importance you would hope the Government would take an interest.

What about UK seamen in foreign owned.flagged merchantmen?

I knew one of the Waves was being mothballed but not sold. I bet the RFA aren't very happy about it but the fundamental problem is not money or use, it's manpower. The RFA are short of people like the rest of the forces but they've suffered from a lack of recruitment and training. The old MOD attitiude of "recruit some merchant mariners directly" doesn't work anymore because there are no British mechant seamen and the few that do exist can be paid better for more stability.

There are quite a few British merchant cadets and they're all moaning about being unable to get their first ship after they get their ticket although I suspect a lot of them don't want to join the RFA anyway because of the fact that it's a hybrid rather than the merch that they were sold when they started college.

I thought the numbers of vessels flying the Red Ensign had increased in recent years? As this is of strategic importance you would hope the Government would take an interest.

What about UK seamen in foreign owned.flagged merchantmen?

The government has the tonnage tax scheme whereby shipping companies which are part of it get a tax rebate if they train some cadets. The problem is that a lot of companies use it as a pure tax avoidance scheme. They train the cadets but turf them out at the end of their cadetship. They don't even give them one trip to sea to get that first voyage as a 3rd/4th into their discharge book.

There are the good ones of course. Shell/BP/Maersk and the cruise companies who'll take you on after you get your ticket. The RFA takes cadets on at the end of their training but not everyone wants to join.

This came as a surprise to me. Especially after the amount of fighting the RFA did to get her laid up properly (money being the issue as always). I don't see it as a good idea as the Tide boats don't really have a good name for reliability still.

Although the rumor has been going around about one being sold to the Canadians thinking about it...where there is smoke there is fire...

Except the not built ere part that lead them to doing that weird conversion they did.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
Although the rumor has been going around about one being sold to the Canadians thinking about it...where there is smoke there is fire...
In my last meeting with CA they were discussing a new indigenous oiler/solid vessel. I suspect in line with their new frigate programme they will look to develop their own.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
This came as a surprise to me. Especially after the amount of fighting the RFA did to get her laid up properly (money being the issue as always). I don't see it as a good idea as the Tide boats don't really have a good name for reliability still.
I would say it's only being floated as an option, driven by lack of manpower, but really not popular even with those creating the options. Remember we were selling all our amphib capability not too long ago......

In my last meeting with CA they were discussing a new indigenous oiler/solid vessel. I suspect in line with their new frigate programme they will look to develop their own.

Havent they just introduced a new oiler conversion into service as stop gap capability anyway? Given reductions in canadian spend and an institutional reluctance to commit, I'd suspect they are a long way from wanting an extra WAVE class. Paradoxically an FSS design may be of more interest - particularly if T26 were their new frigate design.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
I think FSS is going to be a bit large for most other navies' requirements. It will be interesting to see how they're planning on manning them and whether minimal manning featured in the industry day today.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Back in the day (a long way back) to get to Simonstown from Gib during the apartheid era we were not allowed into any en route African port because of our ultimate destination, even though we were going to spend time on Beira Patrol afterwards in order to help ensure a pseudo-Marxist (actually tribal kleptocracy) dictatorship in S Rhodesia. THREE RFA tankers were deployed to get us to ZA.

Latest Threads