More cuts?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Yokel, Dec 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the Pompey rag

So what happens when Iran and Saudi Arabia are fighting over Iraq (after the US pullout) and we sudddenly need to protect shipping in the Gulf?
  2. I like this quote:

"But Portsmouth North Labour MP Sarah McCarthy-Fry said: 'Personally, I am not so hung up on numbers, because a modern warship can do the equivalent of six warships from 20 years ago"

Funny, but I thought that a lot of the RN ships are about 10-20 years old? Also I would be interested to see one ship patrol the Gulf, South Atlantic, the waters off Indonesia and Columbia all at the same time.

Obviously this woman tried pulling a WREN at some point in the past and was rejected.
  3. Silly Doris!!

Last year the then First Sea Lord said the RN was too small to perform the tasks demanded of it, the current First Sea Lord has said much the same.

I think an Admiral's views are more important than those of a Blairite Doris........
  4. Strangely, her background is in the defence industry - are GKN Westland at Portsmouth and GKN Aerospace at Cowes in the naval side of things??
  5. Today, Vickers Defence Barrow in Furness, launched the first of the new Tramp Class destroyers for the Royal Navy.

6. Aye but she was a Chartered Management Accountant which is how they keep those cost-overruns in check on MoD Procurement ( ':?')

and she is impregnated with Blairism - Sarah is a member of Amicus AEEU and supports the Trade Unions working in partnership with employers to their mutual benefit. She believes the challenge for the 21st century is for businesses to achieve greater productivity to maintain competitiveness, while giving their employees reduced working hours and a sensible work/life balance.

So that's all right then - maybe the Army will take her up on the work/life balance and send ammunition and helicopters to let Government employees in green enjoy these benefits
  7. Really? Exactly how do you sink a ship 6 times over?

Stupid bint. Quantity beats quality every time...

8. Ask the Japanese to assume our responsibilities as we did in the 1920s in Asia.........and maybe save money as W S Churchill as Chancellor did on the fortifications at Singapore..................
  9. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Doesn't mean a lot. Many in the defence industry believe their own sales pitch when selling capability (which is nearly always overstated).

Add that to the fact few have (and I take it she is one) any service time and you get comments that a pinhead wouldn't make.
  10. Surely if a warship can do 6 times what it could 20 years ago... Other countries warships can also do that... Or am I being daft.
  11. She is indeed talking crap - as most of our ships are either 10 - 20 years old or were on the drawing board back then. Also (with the exception of carriers and amphibious ships that can spread their footprint with aircraft or landing craft) ships can only be in one place at a time.

See this
  12. A radio report the other day stated that defence spending was at its lowest since 1930. (in real terms I presume) The same report stated that we no longer technically had an army, the standard size to be considered an army being 100,000. We are so under strength that we have a defence force apparently.

It doesn't stack up with these figures but we are grossly undermanned. I wonder how long it would take to grow the army by 50% in an emerging crisis?
  13. Senior Officers have stated in public that the RN does not have enough ships for the tasks demanded of it, so surely Ministers must realise the operational impact of further cuts? The Navy's lost somewhere between a fifth and a third of its front line strength since 1997 without a reduction in commitments, delays to critical future projects, and capability gaps you could drive a bus through.

What Admiral West Said last year

Adml Sir Alan West, the First Sea Lord and Chief of the Naval Staff, said that the Government's defence cuts have left the Navy with too few ships to sustain even moderate losses in a maritime conflict, despite Ministers' assurances.
  14. jrwlynch

jrwlynch LE Book Reviewer

Bluntly put - no. Any understanding of the impact will only come from the Parliamentary inquiry into "What Happened When The Camel's Back Finally Broke".

If the Navy loses another six warships, will there be a crisis immediately? Next week? In the next six months? If the answer is "no" then there is no operational impact to that Minister, who will expect to have moved to a new post and left the mess for someone else to clean up.
  15. Is this one of those special ships that can be in 6 places at once? :?