More cuts in the Defence budget on the way.

Well it is clear in the article:

“There is not an endless supply of money and people need to realise there is a serious financial situation and there are difficult choices to make,” one MoD official said.

The Treasury is unlikely to step in to make up the shortfall, he added.

A senior military source said: “What we are being asked to achieve is virtually impossible without wholesale reduction of UK forces worldwide. "" NUFF SED!!

Like it or lump it, you have to hand it to the fatuous oaf Brown and his exceptionally cunning and successful plan to destroy the Armed Forces. As a control freak par excellence he will have known about, and quietly condoned the horrendous shambles in the Defence budget. He would have known that his failed government would not win the general election and thus, cleverly and so cunningly, he engineered that the Tories would execute the coup de grace and the final destruction of the Armed Forces.

Make no mistake about it, whatever 'brave faces' the likes of Richards and Wall and the others may be putting on, this latest 'cut' will finish for good all three Services.

If however, Cameron had the balls and intelligence to tell Osborne that all the funding denied to the Services by Brown was to be restored, then it may be possible to salvage some identifiable and meaningful Services. The money to be funded from: Overseas aid and 'Benefits' and the slamming of the door on ALL immigration whatever the commissars in the European Soviet Union say!

This country is 'cream-crackered', I'd go further and say it is 'cattle-trucked'. Then guilty men: Blair; Brown and Balls.

I must admit to been surprised that the Tories set about cutting the forces after all the talk that they were more appreciative than Labour.

Perhaps to pick up from msr's point, their first port of call should have been the MOD itself.

Seems strange to have defence cuts (disguised as a review) whilst fighting a war.

I was expecting cuts in the numbers of Headquarters we have, making larger but fewer brigades and divisions and just a general cull of all paper pusher type jobs, but that doesn't seem to have happened. I am also pretty shocked that the Tories have started hacking away at defence, when I voted I genuinely thought they were the best option for us but I can't help thinking Labour wouldn't have been doing this (admittedly it would all be borrowed money but hey).

The thing that really makes me angry though is why the hell, when not just the forces, but all public services are being cut back heavily to save money, are we continuing to give 20 Billion a year away as aid?

Also, the MPs voted to give themselves a pay rise again this year, shame the rest of the public sector don't get to vote on their own pay!

£20bn foreign aid... so thats

Nimrod MRA4
UAV Drones
Tornado GR4
AS-90 + Challenger 2
RN T22 Frigates

all potentially saved.

Yeah. Cameron&co have really got their priorities straight.

Thinking about it more perhaps it's the Liberals keeping the high aid budget and letting the forces rot. After all they do prefer that kind of thing. If you think about it they actually have a huge amount of power right now, the Tories are unpopular at the moment due to the cuts, and if the Liberals pull out of the coalition then Labour would probably win an election.

Like it or lump it, you have to hand it to the fatuous oaf Brown and his exceptionally cunning and successful plan to destroy the Armed Forces. As a control freak par excellence he will have known about, and quietly condoned the horrendous shambles in the Defence budget. He would have known that his failed government would not win the general election and thus, cleverly and so cunningly, he engineered that the Tories would execute the coup de grace and the final destruction of the Armed Forces.

Make no mistake about it, whatever 'brave faces' the likes of Richards and Wall and the others may be putting on, this latest 'cut' will finish for good all three Services.

If however, Cameron had the balls and intelligence to tell Osborne that all the funding denied to the Services by Brown was to be restored, then it may be possible to salvage some identifiable and meaningful Services. The money to be funded from: Overseas aid and 'Benefits' and the slamming of the door on ALL immigration whatever the commissars in the European Soviet Union say!

This country is 'cream-crackered', I'd go further and say it is 'cattle-trucked'. Then guilty men: Blair; Brown and Balls.
Gosh you do talk some rabid shite, don't you?

What I can't work out is:

why have we ended up with SDSR salami slicing cuts rather than what we needed - a full review of what was required of the defence forces of the UK?

We have ended up with a review that has been sensitive to the structure of 3 Chiefs and their associated staffs and headquarters, when in reality the RAF and (possibly RN numbers) and can surely no longer merit this. Were the Ministers not brave enough to stand up to the service Chiefs? Or is it that the Civil Service is incapable of making radical and novel decisions?

We needed someone grown-up and non-partisan to sit down and work out what UK Defence needs to do. We then need to work out what money we have to do it, and how to apportion it, and get the best effect we could for the tax payer. Instead we have had Chiefs protecting their own empires, Defence Industry schmoozing them so that their programmes don't get cut, the Civil Servants taking the course of least resistance. They have just taken slices out of everything. The losers in this......... the tax-payer and the serviceman.

What I can't work out is:

why have we ended up with SDSR salami slicing cuts rather than what we needed - a full review of what was required of the defence forces of the UK?
We're no longer in a position where we decide what we want then pay for it. We are like a pay as you dine squaddie in the mess on the day before pay day. We rummage in our pocket for small change then see if it will stretch to a sandwich and a can of coke, or a Navy and an Air Force.

Cameron has failed to address the real problem. One in four households wholly dependent on welfare. Living off welfare still a lifestyle choice for many after a year of Tory government. £200 billion a year going on welfare, including immigrants on over 100 grand a year.

Dave needs to understand that we can't afford that and he needs to get his arrse in gear pdq, no matter how unpopular it makes him. I'd give him less than a year before there is serious talk about replacing him. IMHO he should also dump the Liberals and call an election as soon as the new constituencies are defined. The Tories had a 24% lead at the last election. With a level playing field of constituencies, they'd be on to a landslide rather than a coalition.

We've just come back from our mess meeting, and the RAO rocked up and gave the good news about more cut's in spending and future pay. Thank you Labour...

Latest Threads