More Cuts. BBC reports...

May as well do away with all forces not comitted on current ops. When something occurrs and we need the kit, we can rent it from the Americans, like a tool hire centre. Aircraft carriers, spy planes etc.

Given that my current (non Army non MoD) goverment funded job is also about to go I cannot even begin to make rational comment on this sort of thing currently without resorting to profanity.

From the military covenant thread.

All part of the normal political buttering-up process. Stand by for some very bad news affecting Defence elsewhere.
Hey, Dunservin, what's next weeks lottery numbers?

FFS, can they not just stop f'ing around with this? I'm so glad that they can no longer **** me around like they are you guys. Who on earth is responsible for this seemingly non-stop erosion of our defence capability; it's pathetic.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Look on the bright side chaps, at least we can now afford lots of windmills and green energy.

The CVF seem to be expensive white elephants. Surely a rationalization and rethink of our strategic carrier concept would be the best idea. Smaller carriers and a good number of them.

The CVF seem to be expensive white elephants. Surely a rationalization and rethink of our strategic carrier concept would be the best idea. Smaller carriers and a good number of them.
Bit late for that. Small carriers need small aircraft. Still something tells me we will be glad of QE + POW when they arrive even if only to back up the national grid generation capacity when the windmills arn't turning!

Or replace F-35 with F-18.

As much as I'm opposed to carving up the RN any further I can't see any particular advantage to keeping Illustrious as a helicopter only carrier. If I recall correctly she is due to be binned as soon as Ocean has undergone a refit?
Agreed, I thought Ocean was to become the Flagship once refurbed. Illustrious is a big hunk of metal just to be flying helicopters off.

Or replace F-35 with F-18.

That would be the fall back, option I would imagine, ex USN F/A-18's or merge what's left of the FAA into 'Fleet Aeronavale' dans le France with shared Rafale M and PoW flogged off to the French.

Any takers?

That would be the fall back, option I would imagine, ex USN F/A-18's or merge what's left of the FAA into 'Fleet Aeronavale' dans le France with shared Rafale M and PoW flogged off to the French.

Any takers?
I think even Cameron knows that the public will never forgive him merging the Royal Navy into anything, especially the French or Germans.
It smacks to much of a EuroNavy, if the government tries that they can kiss the next election goodbye.

I suspect we were never going to get F-35 of any kind post SDSR and that F-18 has long been on the cards. Not a decision I would have a problem with to be honest.

I suspect we were never going to get F-35 of any kind post SDSR and that F-18 has long been on the cards. Not a decision I would have a problem with to be honest.
Especialy if they chucked some EW variants and an Osprey based AEW into the bargain. Which I bet Boeing would be willing to deal on.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
I think it highly unlikely we'll get any kind of carrier strike wing. If Lusty goes then we lose 8 years of experience of operating fixed wing carriers. In those 8 years all the senior officers and ratings with experience will be gone and we'll be stuck trying to learn the skills again. The sheer cost of all that training will add tens if not hundreds of millions.

I think it highly unlikely we'll get any kind of carrier strike wing. If Lusty goes then we lose 8 years of experience of operating fixed wing carriers. In those 8 years all the senior officers and ratings with experience will be gone and we'll be stuck trying to learn the skills again. The sheer cost of all that training will add tens if not hundreds of millions.
That continious experience has been binned anyway.
Illustrious remains at the moment but there is no fixed wing to fly off her. She will only embark helicopters, the Harriers are tucked away in a shed for good.

Once again the government proves that its willing to start wars at the drop of a hat and not pay for them. IMO if it weren't for the sheer bloody minded can-do attitude of our armed forces they'd have imploded years ago. It is simply a testement to how first-rate we really are, but there is only so far any organisation can be pushed.

Stories like this really wind me up. Especially when i've just seen an advert in the telly bragging about the olympics.

Can't fund our forces properly, but can pay for a glorified sports day.

TBM

Latest Threads