More "custom" kit

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by James51234, Nov 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Its not a bad little shop/unit in Colchester on the industrial estate and they have a good selection of kit in stock. I believe they tailor issued webbing aswell if you prefer it than buying your own but do a lot of buissness with the Brigade.

2. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to undermine them in any way, it's just that all this kit thy're releasing seems to have been done before by others such as Jay Jays and troopers. Am basically just wondering if it stands up to the competition.

3. Never bought any myself but when i got some Lowas from there the other month there was loads of tailoring going on in the back office on webbing for the lads.

4. There are only so many different ways you can tweak what are essentially the same bits of kit - so some 'repetition' is likely isn't it?

5. If you look around all these companies are knocking out the same(ish) kit.
    Some claim it's IRR cordura, some use cheap buckles and clips, i think if you can go to the shop and have a look, try it on ect, try not to buy over the net/phone.
    I make my own gear so i know a bit about fabrics/ quality of fittings ect.
    I don't think you can beat the quality of issued kit, so if you can convert it into what you require - try it,plus it'll be much cheaper in the long run. there are plenty of guys around doing this sort of tailoring.

6. I haven't used any of the custom kit but the guy who runs it is a top bloke. Went there a couple of years ago and he made sure I got the right kit and not the most expensive.... I would definately trust them when it comes to custom kit.

7. Interesting idea, but wouldn't wearing that vest under your Osprey have you pouches way down by your crotch and bum on the back? When doing alot of foot patrolling, I'd think that your the front of your upper legs would chafe at the mag pouches riding into them.

I can imagine it wouldn't be very comfortable to be sitting in a vehicle with either (whether it be Warrior, Viking, or whatever) as the pouches would probably push your Osprey up around your chin.

Interested in feedback from anybody that's actually used the system.