More Carillion fall out -soldiers with no heating

Shouldn't need emergency generators in the first place. It's Aldershot, not Algeria. There is a perfectly good 11kV feeder next to the site. Boilers broken? Hardly difficult to fix. Your local GasSafe or heating enginerr would be happy to crack on with hte job.

[Sarcasm Warning]
Failing that they could burn some of the useless & pointless paperwork.

Is it likely to be another shagged district heating system?

Look at the caption for the top photo. What has journalism come to?

The Duke of Edinburgh is looking remarkably young and fit these days. Obviously taking his Omega 3 supplements.

Not sure if Aldershot is still on a district heating system but IIRC the district system was decommissioned some years ago because of leaking pipes (don't they all?). Certainly on my travels there are only a very few district systems still operational.

Even so, there is no excuse for a lack of electrical power.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Keogh Barracks - home to Phase 2 RAMC trainees. Due to decamp to darkest Staffordshire anytime someone can get enough pound coins together to make it happen.

Relocation was planned in 2003 - and yet to happen.

In 2002 there was a list of the Top Ten worst Army SLA in the country - Keogh Bks didn't make the list.

Back then, pre-SLAM - the Army spent £14M on what in Afghan would come to be called a Quick Impact Project.

Simple brief: make sure every soldier in the UK had hot water and no rain coming in.

My boss of the time called it ' a fluoresecent sticking plaster on a gaping wound'

Good to know that in the intervening 15 years, despite SLAM and the super garrison projects like Project Allenby/Connaught , there are still Army locations where soldiers would rather be on ops than living-in.

A few of years ago I went to Bassingbourn not long after our dusky friends had gone home. Parts of the place had been virtually destroyed

Although not part of my job I was shown the "officers" mess where the Libs had decided to have a bonfire with the furniture before going home, some of the roms where doors had been torn off furniture and holes kicked in walls and the fire alarm system that had been smashed off the wall because it kept going off when they smoked in their rooms.

Bassy was having £1M spent on it in repairs. And yet we left our our own crew in sh!tholes. And Bassy is now, I believe, closed?

Is it just me or has the quality of Her Majesty's Daily Telegraph reportage fallen dramatically?

The story about lions in a safari park must have been plagiarised from the Daily Star.

Is it just me or has the quality of Her Majesty's Daily Telegraph reportage fallen dramatically?

The story about lions in a safari park must have been plagiarised from the Daily Star.
The paper version is somewhat better.

If you want proper trashy jornalism read Polly Toynbee's column in the Grauniad online opinion section.

A few of years ago I went to Bassingbourn not long after our dusky friends had gone home. Parts of the place had been virtually destroyed

Although not part of my job I was shown the "officers" mess where the Libs had decided to have a bonfire with the furniture before going home, some of the roms where doors had been torn off furniture and holes kicked in walls and the fire alarm system that had been smashed off the wall because it kept going off when they smoked in their rooms.

Bassy was having £1M spent on it in repairs. And yet we left our our own crew in sh!tholes. And Bassy is now, I believe, closed?
The “new” mattresses that suddenly appeared across ARTD were in fact freshly scrubbed to remove their mud, blood, vomit and urine apparently....

Have you been away somewhere off grid? The rag that it is now is in terminal decline, and has been for years.

@bobthebuilder get in here and tell them all how much better it is that the MOD deal with civvie firms.

Don't forget to mention the word "billions" and cram in a lot of business-speak.

Bugger me, I passed the Keogh Barracks circa 1980, at which time there was no cold water. The toilets were being flushed with scalding hot water. You couldn't wash yourself without causing yourself deep burns. The whole place seems to be a collosal building services clusterfuck.

Not sure if Aldershot is still on a district heating system but IIRC the district system was decommissioned some years ago because of leaking pipes (don't they all?). Certainly on my travels there are only a very few district systems still operational.
No, they don't, IF they're continuously maintained, i.e, corrosion inhibitor levels checked and maintained, water make-up monitored. The PSA (who dat?) published a series of definitive manuals on the dark arts, before some clueless gobshites decided to entrust the works to the lowest bidder incompetent contractors. A certain system I knew had had the chemical treatment neglected for some time; opening a drain valve at the lowest point caused a long black sausage of magnetite sludge to ooze out of the pipes before any water appeared. The black shite was the corrosion products that had formerly been the inside surfaces of the pipes. It clogged everything.

The district heating systems were mostly installed in the days of central coal-fired, or heavy-oil fired, boiler rooms, when there'd usually be a MTHW or steam distribution system with tube-in-shell calorifiers in each out building. Most hospitals and government sites had something similar. Since North Sea Gas and condensing modular gas boilers arrived, it has made more sense to have localized gas-fired boiler plant and discard the distribution systems with their unavoidable standing heat losses.

Last edited:
Unless I’m daft in the head dnt Aspire provide all the services to Aldershot Garrison now. KBR and Carillon has a joint venture called Aspire Defence Limited that then formed Aspir Defence Capital Works to do all the PFI building along with Aspire Defence Serices who look after the hard FM and soft the soft being Subbed out to Sodexo. Carillion going tits up should not be an issue as the Govenment covers all of the PFI cost by guaranteeing the loan. Have a look st Aspires web page it interesting.

A fair few chaps I know worked under the envelope of Aspire on loan from Carrilion and all have been taken on by KBR and Aspire.

Being as I work on a site covered by Aspire their SOPs if the heating goes tits up is to respond within two hours sort it out or issue a small fan heater and deploy a six man shower unit not bad if the 40 man block is full. Baring in mind the two hour time clock that if missed costs them money so they rush like lions to get to location. How ever once the fan heater is deployed the clock resets to forty working days.

That chaps the run the Garrison management team have been fighting the contract on this for years but the Central Managment Team if DIO have zero balls to take them on. I love it when the office heating goes down and a fan heater rocks up and we wait and we wait. Having it for day and night is bloody wrong the troops deserve better.

They ought to contract the accommodation out to travelodge
probably work out cheaper
Even travelodge have there issues, in London where occupancy is always high

The maintenance seems to be lacking their, and the risk of bed bugs, hot water not working etc seems to be an issue

Outside of London they seem to be fine everywhere

Can't see Travelodge being anything but an improvement though, and they are easy to haggle with if you want to block book rooms so it's not such a daft idea