More British troops to Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Agent_Smith, Jun 14, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's official...

rest of the article here
  2. although Air Marshal Torpy expected a "satisfactory conclusion" to the Iraq operation within 18 months. !!!! Whatever that means? Any bets on that and what exactly is a "satisfactory conclusion"????

3. Is he p1ssed????
  4. Blah blah drawdown blah blah satisfactory conclusion (we hope) blah blah better say "SAS", "Rangers" and "Para" because the peasants have wet surges about them blah blah don't mention 19 Bde or ARRCHQ blah. Off to the golf club.
  5. In case anyone is wondering why Air Marshal Torpy (highly regarded by his guys in light blue) is commenting, it is because he is Commander Joint Ops at Northwood.
  6. You forgot "blah, blah, don't mention that the Battalions we're closing down would be really handy right now, blah blah, Army's elite, blah blah, troops looking forward to getting the job done (just like we were all, apparently, happy to be in Iraq), blah blah"
  7. "blah blah not forgetting the QA and Medics that support all this lot out there, blah,blah and the RLC"
  8. And
    "Blah blah it's still worth spending billions on Eurofighter instead of on more infantry which we actually need blah blah blah or on decent MQs and a few more regs so they can keep their marriages together and stay in blah blah blah or maybe on the TA so they don't all leave blah blah blah hope no-one noticed I'm making assumptions about leaving Iraq that are directly contradicted by the facts so that I don't have to tell politicians the truth and scupper my career blah blah blah."
  9. There are two possible reposnses to this thread:

1. Cynics the lot of you

2. Blah Blah Blah, NAO report says Army overstretched, Blah Blah Blah, usual BLiar flunky denies anything wrong, Blah Blah Blah, looks like next years summer holiday will br that tranquil beuty spot known as the Khyber pass. (PS Must remember to take doctors arm band to increase chance of survival if it all goes wrong in Afghanistan again!).
  10. Kyhber Pass in Pakistan – we would be a little lost if we went there.
  11. Kyhber Pass connects Pakistan to Afghanistan ya loon, although under the control of Pakistan I imagine some of us would spend an awful lot of time in it's proximitry. Judging by the map skills of some soon to be TA Subbies I won't be surprised if a couple of platoons end up on the wrong side of the border.

12. Don't put yourself down matey! On the plus side at least there are no nettles in those parts... :p
  13. 307

307 War Hero

I can't believe the rumour mill was almost exactly right for once, I've been hearing this for almost a month now, and it's turned out official! Already been warned about a deployment here soon nhext year.
  14. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Don't bother getting the crampons sharpened. Our TAOR is going to be, apparently, a long way from the Mountains. Probably somewhere fairly flat, with plenty of rolling fields of nice purple flowers (cue bit from Wizard of Oz where they all fall asleep in the field).
  15. Still won't be Kansas though! :)