More Americans too fat for X-rays

More and more obese people are unable to get full medical care because they are either too big to fit into scanners, or their fat is too dense for X-rays or sound waves to penetrate, radiologists reported Tuesday.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/07/26/obesity.xrays.reut/index.html

With 64 percent of the U.S. population either overweight or obese, the problem is worsening

Can fat stop machine generated rays? Could this be a solution to weapons of the future?

bring on the fat tax for those obese

they now give them disability scooters as they can't walk HELLO THIS MEANS THEY DO LESS WORK!!

welcome to 'New' England

At least they have the potential to become bullet proof as<a href="http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18224497.200.html"> New Scientist</a href> proves...

They obviously haven't measured the BMI of some of the civvie birds who spend all of their waking hours on here......................trawling for DPM c0ck.

natotattie said:
They obviously haven't measured the BMI of some of the civvie birds who spend all of their waking hours on here......................trawling for DPM c0ck.
Or half the millies over here in N.I!

Why would you even want to cure some grossly obese slug of whatever self induced ailment they're suffering from? Lardarses are the answer to our diminishing energy resource dilemma, just convert the oilburning powerstations to run on mascerated biffa, its my eco-fuel of choice.
"Thats right chunky, the buns are right in there, through the small round door. Yes it is a bit hot, thats global warming for you"

The sleek shall inherit the earth!

armchair_jihad said:
With 64 percent of the U.S. population either overweight or obese, the problem is worsening
Jesus christ, has it really gotten that bad? I knew it was abnormally high, but last I heard it was between 30 and 40 percent.

i must admit when i went over to the USA, i have noticed a lot of Fatties about, a bit more than the UK , we do have a few superfatties but not that many, USA seems to have it bad.....

The USA is horrific but I was most stunned by the number of porkers in Sydney. I though Oz was full of active outdoors types, not much sign of that these days. One of the most obese nations in the world.

I was in my local town last week (around half 6-7pm), and whilst going about my business a car pulls up besides me and parks. Out gets a dad and his two sons, id say about 13-14 or so years old (the pair of them). The dad was a fat fcuk, took him a while to get out the car past the steering wheel, and so were the two boys. I'm not joking when i say these two boys had tits that any self-respecting woman would be happy with. They were fat.

Not that I was watching or anything :twisted: but off they wobbled, one lad into the chineese take-away and the other and his dad into a turban tandoori. I found myself getting annoyed at the way of life they had.

In 10-15 years time (if not even less) we'll be the exact same as America is now - at this rate anyway.

armchair_jihad said:
More and more obese people are unable to get full medical care because they are either too big to fit into scanners, or their fat is too dense for X-rays or sound waves to penetrate, radiologists reported Tuesday.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/07/26/obesity.xrays.reut/index.html

Can fat stop machine generated rays? Could this be a solution to weapons of the future?
Geek hat on: The fat doesn't stop the x-rays (although a lot are absorbed) you can just crank up the power of the x-rays. Unfortunatel the effect of cranmking up the 'rays for very fat people ("blimp" is my preferred term) you just end up with an x-ray film showing various (and very similar) shades of grey instead of black and white with a couple of grey shades in between! Making the x-ray totally useless.

Being to fat for a standard solinoidal MRI scanner isn't difficult - I have sen patients that don't fit (or nearly got stuck when their clammy skin effectively caused a virtually unbreakable seal with the inside walls of the scanner! Being too fat for a CT scanner is more difficult but there is the problem that the table can't support the weight and move the patient through the scanner due to too much stress on the motors. Although too fat has also happened (but they need to be HUGE). This is my experience just within Europe - not the US

Edited to add: We do have a radiologist in my dept who will bluntly tell patients that they are too fat for ultrasound and will do a CT-scan instead!! :lol:

All fat people should be forced to do the QMSI plan diet - its called "do some Fu$king exercise and stop eating lard all day"

If they are too fat for airline seats etc then they should travel in a crate in the hold as excess baggage.

Rant over.

braveheart said:
The dad was a fat fcuk, took him a while to get out the car past the steering wheel, and so were the two boys. I'm not joking when i say these two boys had tits that any self-respecting woman would be happy with. They were fat.
A bit like this then:

The relaunch of the Backstreet Boys.

Bat_Crab said:
Natural selection in action if you ask me.

Too fat for medical care? Lose weight or die you fat fcuks.
:D :D :D love it!

Its not just the Yanks, I'm noticing it more and more here too. As discussed here previously I seriously believe there needs to be a premium applied to lardys who take up considerably more space that others on public transport thus making life smelly/cramped for the poor sod sitting next to them. Similarly the NHS should structure treatment, particularly if illnesses are being exacerbated because of lard-arrseness. I've just come back from swim training and was amazed at the sheer unashamed audacity of the hippos wallowing in the pool thinking, bizzarely, that their size isn't noticeable in the water.... nor the tsunami they've just created by jumping in. :omg: