Morals

Eight weeks ago my mate passed away unexpectedly now with out asking he made me a executer in his will.

Now comes the problem he had a fair old collection of powder burners and I do mean a fair few and he left them to me.

Now I’m grateful don’t get me wrong but I only have six slots free on my ticket could I ask for a few more yes absolutely but I am rapidly moving away from powder burners being as I’m retiring soon and do not want all the grief that comes with the ticket.

am I can re home the Lee Enfield’s to my two sprogs being as they are both passionate shooters along with a Brace of Purdy‘s which I will have.Several of the lads we both shot with have turned in to sharks circling around his elderly parents. Now I have hopefully put a stop the the sharks but when sharks have the sent they can be right buggers.

His family are not that interested in any thing to do with shooting which I can understand they and me would like there son back alas it’s not going to happen any time soon.

At the moment the bang sticks are at an RFD who naturally has got his greedy eyes on sum of them but he is really zeroed in onto the Brace of Purdy‘s when the guns were moved to the RFD he did make a stupid offer on them saying they were cheap knock offs big fail there as they had just been serviced by strangely enough Purdy.

It’s knocked me back a fair bit to be truthful how a fit chap like him drop dead of a heart attack is a shock to all who know him.

So what to do his kith and kin are not interested in the guns or money they are extremely well of. So I have been thinking about sending them to auction and giving the money to charity most probably the British Legion/SAFA .

The operative question is does any one have any idea of which Auction house would be best. Oh he does own or did a straight pull that rifle with wooden furniture.

Any pointers would be most gratefully received.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
try these:

or the better known bonhams have a gun section:

try these:

or the better known bonhams have a gun section:

Cheers most appreciated

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Yeah Holts are your best bet. They do take a hefty commission both from the seller and buyer but they have the biggest reach by far of any UK auction house where bang sticks are concerned.

Happy to give a rough appraisal on the Purdeys if you want to send pics, serial numbers etc.

Also just a thought….

I’m not massively clued up on the law surrounding black powder stuff, but my understanding was that because they are generally obsolete calibers, they can be kept off ticket unless you actually plan to fire them.

I own a couple of black powder guns and my FEO wasn’t interested unless I planned on knocking up some ammo and firing them.

Can’t you just remove everything from the RFD and store them at home? Save on storage fees at least.

A word of caution. There are competing responsibilities between being an executor and a beneficiary under a will. If all of the firearms have been left to you as a beneficiary under the will then you can deal with them as you want. However, if only some of the firearms have been left to you as a beneficiary then you have a duty as executor to obtain the best price that is possible to benefit the other beneficiaries under the will. Hopefully there will be a solicitor named as an executor along with yourself and you really need to have a talk with them before disposing of any of the firearms.

I’m not massively clued up on the law surrounding black powder stuff, but my understanding was that because they are generally obsolete calibers, they can be kept off ticket unless you actually plan to fire them.

The term/law you're looking for is Section 58. Which is hopefully all you need to start doing homework!

Latest Threads