Moral injury

Is research into military experiences that went against veterans morals/ethics of interest?

• Yes

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters
The King's Centre for Military Health Research (KCMHR) are thinking of doing a project looking at how different types of extremely challenging military experiences can affect active duty UK Service Members and Veterans. We are particularly interested in hearing about military experiences that may have caused you to question the kind of person you are or the kind of world we live in. These are things that you feel you may have done or failed to do, or things that others did or failed to do. For example: giving orders in combat that resulted in the injury or death of a fellow service member; failing to provide medical aid to an injured civilian or service member; betrayal by an officer; or following orders that were illegal, immoral, and/or against the Rules of Engagement.

We were wondering if this is a topic that people are interested in? How likely are veterans to complete an anonymous survey or interview on the subject?

Get on with it.

But be prepared to be buried under tons of crap from the likes of the veterans agency, since any research into veterans injuries is not in their interests in preventing veterans from getting compensation

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
The King's Centre for Military Health Research (KCMHR) are thinking of doing a project looking at how different types of extremely challenging military experiences can affect active duty UK Service Members and Veterans. We are particularly interested in hearing about military experiences that may have caused you to question the kind of person you are or the kind of world we live in. These are things that you feel you may have done or failed to do, or things that others did or failed to do. For example: giving orders in combat that resulted in the injury or death of a fellow service member; failing to provide medical aid to an injured civilian or service member; betrayal by an officer; or following orders that were illegal, immoral, and/or against the Rules of Engagement.

We were wondering if this is a topic that people are interested in? How likely are veterans to complete an anonymous survey or interview on the subject?
It might be, if you don't have an axe to grind - your examples are a bit loaded:

"For example: giving orders in combat that resulted in the injury or death of a fellow service member; failing to provide medical aid to an injured civilian or service member; betrayal by an officer; or following orders that were illegal, immoral, and/or against the Rules of Engagement."

In the light of our two most recent adventures, rather than trawl for examples of a breach of RoEs which, from the small bit I saw were generally respected, you might usefully explore the impact of consistently being required to task troops for things that they weren't trained or properly equipped to do whilst working for a CoC which was terrified of its political masters, psychologically incapable of saying 'no' to them and completely indifferent to the consequences for those on the ground.

It might be, if you don't have an axe to grind - your examples are a bit loaded:

"For example: giving orders in combat that resulted in the injury or death of a fellow service member; failing to provide medical aid to an injured civilian or service member; betrayal by an officer; or following orders that were illegal, immoral, and/or against the Rules of Engagement."

In the light of our two most recent adventures, rather than trawl for examples of a breach of RoEs which, from the small bit I saw were generally respected, you might usefully explore the impact of consistently being required to task troops for things that they weren't trained or properly equipped to do whilst working for a CoC which was terrified of its political masters, psychologically incapable of saying 'no' to them and completely indifferent to the consequences for those on the ground.
Some truth there!

Is this Phil shiners new startup?

My bold, in the current climate of investigations some of which are over 40 years old, don't expect a rush of volunteers for that.

No, it's not, it's part of King's College London. You may be more familiar with their Defence Studies and War Studies programmes.

King's College London - King's Centre For Military Health Research
But do they understand what people like Phil Shiner has done to create distrust between ex forces/serving members and people who ask questions like they have done in the OP? Do they understand the mentality it creates when 40 years after an event a vet is dragged through this type of hype? NO I thought not.

Ask Knob4...he alleges that he is being treated for a 'Moral Injury' due to someone he never knew , being killed by someone he never met....and get this, it occurred in a war zone of all places!

I think these research questions need to be put under scrutiny of lawyers first, since with all the NI witch hunts and bent lawyers ambulance chasing at the moment, I don't think you will get any takers answering questions that may get them into any kind of bother

Ask me. I never had any morals and ethics is somewhere southern with a lisp.

will it be called "The Blackman papers"?

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
KCMHR is an extremely well regarded academic Institute which has produced a great deal of high quality research. I would recommend engagement with them in this subject, if nothing else to help shape the questions with your experiences and perspectives, like @FORMER_FYRDMAN did.

KCMHR is an extremely well regarded academic Institute which has produced a great deal of high quality research. I would recommend engagement with them in this subject, if nothing else to help shape the questions with your experiences and perspectives, like @FORMER_FYRDMAN did.
And I've no doubt they'll get more funding, and their hard-on about alcohol in the Services will continue.

I'm in two minds, from my personal experiences I've probably got a lot to add, but does it really do any good for the decisions that often have to be made in split seconds to be analysed at great length and by people who probably have little concept of the conditions people operate under.

What good will it do? I feel there's a hidden pomposity to it all and someone somewhere will gain a PhD or book deal in the back of soldier's blood sweat and tears.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm in two minds, from my personal experiences I've probably got a lot to add, but does it really do any good for the decisions that often have to be made in split seconds to be analysed at great length and by people who probably have little concept of the conditions people operate under.

What good will it do? I feel there's a hidden pomposity to it all and someone somewhere will gain a PhD or book deal in the back of soldier's blood sweat and tears.
^this

I think these research questions need to be put under scrutiny of lawyers first, since with all the NI witch hunts and bent lawyers ambulance chasing at the moment, I don't think you will get any takers answering questions that may get them into any kind of bother
I'm interested in the research concept but you make a fair point. The research would not be specifically looking for information about potential crimes, but it is not impossible that such information would be forthcoming in which case the researchers would surely have a legal duty to report it. Having said that, so-called moral injury can undoubtedly affect people so perhaps there is a case for research?

Latest Threads