"Moral Injury" rather than "PTSD"?

The_Snail

ADC
RIP

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
@smallbrownprivates, make this into Dale speak please.

I can see why there are translation difficulties in this particular case... here goes.

Its like a stationary cupboard with lots of pens that you can't give out (even though you have the key...), yet you need people to use them to fill out paperwork* that if you don't complete the Q Bloke will use an excuse to deny you booze and bifters forever...and then you have to stay on exercise and miss the Army vs Navy. etc etc

*Because it's the only source of pen and paper for miles - you're somewhere remote and uncivilised, like the middle of STANTA

It's not rather than PTSD it's an addition to.

I also think, having read the article it's a reason not to drill the "corps, God, Country" shtick into Soldiers.

The moral injury, as I read it, is an explanation of the innate wrongness one can feel in the act of taking lives. If it's Terry, you are perfectly able to say "tough shìt" and move on, but a civilian? Not so much. Also, there is a rise in such cases, and PTSD, if the act of taking the life is done at close quarters or the results are seen up close. Snipers, for instance, are recognised as a category having a high potential risk of PTSD.

I think it's a useful addendum, but nothing more. Certainly the OSCAR training it talks about will be useful to build in resilience, but Soldiers will feel guilt as much as anyone unless they are Sociopaths, they are just in a position to do something to feel guilty about far more often in an active duty theatre.

PTSD is what it is, Moral injury appears to be about guilt and how, especially American, training appears to inculcate the matrix that makes these feelings of guilt far worse when confronted with the modern Battlefield.

A very interesting article nonetheless and why don't the Huffington Post articles I see have as much depth and insight?

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
I don't believe 'moral injury' is a new category.
I've been diagnosed as suffering a moral injury (i am a sensitive type).

It's symptoms are the loudest "WTF have i been part of?" loop tape playing in me head.

The treatment, as advised, is to speak out as loud as i can about what bothers me - which is mostly about General David Julian Richards, Baron Richards of Herstmonceux GCB, CBE, DSO, DL, ADC Gen getting his tea and REME biscuits with the Queen after overseeing a campaign that "could have been scripted by the Taliban".

A hoped for cure will be a Public Inquiry that will expose the merry-go-round of command that has allowed everyone to walk away without anyone being held truly accountable. I'd love to see General Capewell cross examined over his Defence Select Committee evidence on the Camp Bastion Attack - especially the bit where he reads out a Chinese fortune cookie proverb,

"He who guards everything, guards nothing"

that he gave as his evidence why he wasn't culpable for 15 heavily armed Taliban WALKING in to the heart of Camp Bastion airfield. Or Colonel Tootal & Brigadier Butler being questioned over the EXACT CoC decision to deploy north to Platoon Houses in 2006 - currently they think this answer is acceptable:

"Governor Daoud made us do it (even using harsh words)" .

My parting thought after 6mths in Helmand was that i'd been party to a criminal enterprise, one designed to extract as much cash as possible for the arms manufacturers and assorted contractors (KBR) from the tax payer at ANY cost in blood, misery and suffering. It was a real "War is a Racket" awakening moment for me.

Holiday photos of me with Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in Taiz, Yemen in Sept 1997 do complicate my case...

Last edited:

ACAB

LE
I haven't killed anyone - to the best of my knowledge and belief - but I have witnessed the carnage of terrorism and war up close.

I've also witnessed the carnage that 'Joe Public' inflict upon themselves as a result of criminal enterprise or plain stupidity. I've also dished out some extreme violence to those who thought to do the same to me whilst a public service employee

I don't suffer flashbacks or anything like that and I only have two nightmares which are both recurring. One is where I stand a watch a B29 WW2 Bomber crash into a hanger and the other is were I'm aboard a C130 which has been converted to an office for me which then inverts and ploughs into the ground.

I have absolutely no ******* idea what any of the above is about.

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
I've also witnessed the carnage that 'Joe Public' inflict upon themselves as a result of criminal enterprise or plain stupidity
If this was top trumps i'd say the emergency services experiences of traffic accidents must be pretty horrific, especially when you get the likes of the **** who paralysed two young girls from the waist down, for the rest of their lives, whilst road raging in his Discovery recently getting a pithy 4 year sentence.

I'd of turned edward woodwoodwood "Equaliser" very soon in their shoes i think.

ACAB

LE

I'd of turned edward woodwoodwood "Equaliser" very soon in their shoes i think.
It doesn't work like that. If the guy stays on scene you will normally be presented with a gibbering wreck and then have to go on to view the results of his handiwork. When you consider joint impact speeds, what happens when the metal meets the meat etc, the age and gender of the victims (yeah, I know, sexist tosser that I am)

Whenever I see raw sausages I'm reminded of a motorcyclist who didn't make it.

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
Whenever I see raw sausages I'm reminded of a motorcyclist who didn't make it.
Similar thoughts with pots of jam for me (from RTA, not service)

(and which is filed under 'shit happens' for me, rather than still being in my in-tray)

Last edited:

BratMedic

RIP
RIP
My worst nightmare is being on exercise in Soltau in the middle of winter, opening a menu A compo box and finding it full of tins of biscuits oatmeal.