Mora Frost Knifes, any good?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Belt_Twit, Feb 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been looking at getting a new medium bladed knife, as my old one was a bit gash. Basically needing it to do simple stuff such as wood stripping, rope cutting, gutting if neccessary and all the usual gumpf. I stumbled across what is listed as: Mora Frost Knife ('Clipper' Model, Carbon Steel)

They do a stainless steel one too, but that won't strike a flint. It's got good reviews and is recommended by quite a few people, but I was wondering if anyone here has got one or ever had one and if so, is it any good or would you recommend another knife?

Bearing in mind I'd like a fixed blade one.

2. Very cheap, but not very cheerful in my opinion. Bought one from the states for about £6, soon went unusually rusty despite being oiled etc.

Sacked it off and bought a Harsey Hunter Gerber fixed blade 5.5”. Very impressed with it, again bought from the states off ebay, and less that £25 delivered. Sharp and good for skinning. But also very strong for splitting wood etc, but probably too big for standard exercises, now just use it for Surival/Hunting stuff

Link for the Harsey Hunter:
  3. That looks like a pretty sturdy one. Only problem being it won't strike a flint if it's stainless steel, is that correct? I might have just made that up, I'm not sure.
  4. Can't help you there i'm afraid.
  5. Looks like there's (possibly) a squaddie already bidding on that Gerber. Might have a ganders.

Crypto: Will have a read up on that F1, looks pretty promising. I need a couple of knives really, a smaller one like the F1 and a larger one like the Gerber, so thank you both.
  6. The Mora knives are very good for their price. The survival knife keeps a good edge and has a pretty sturdy blade, plus the handle is a decent enough shape with a nice guard to stop your fingers getting to the sharp bit. Consider that you can get 5-10 Moras for one F1, and it doesn't matter so much if it wears out or gets confiscated by whoever.
  7. I've got a couple of these; carbon steel for the field, stainless steel for the kitchen.

The clipper is great for what you need and, at the price, not to much of a dent in the pocket if a self-ritchouss snow drop decides you can't take it back to the UK, even if you deployed with it :evil:

If you are likely to be near water (especially sea) then go for a stainless steel; you can get a spark from a fire steel, it just takes dedication.

Top tip; if you get one, file the back of the blade flat; it sparks even better.
  8. I've got the Mora Frost Clipper stainless, and I'm very happy with it. It comes pretty sharp, takes a good edge and isn't too walt-ish. I would take the stainless if I were you; no risk of rusting, will get very sharp and you don't really want to be striking a flint with a knife anyway because it blunts it; get a hacksaw blade instead or use the saw off the bayonet scabbard. If you get it from ukkitmonster and buy the PLCE belt adapter, it will fit a webbing belt, and coming on an OG scabbard you won't look too much like Steven Seagal with his para rescue knife ;)

Downside: 10cm blade, so not legal to carry in civvy-street. I believe it is half-tang, so may be a bit weak if you insist on using it as a chisel.
  9. I would wear contact gloves with it though!
  10. Mr. Picky would like to point out that no fixed-blade knife is legal to carry in public places in the UK without reason.

Folding blade not more than three inches in length is the magic term. Note that "folding blade" excludes lock knifes.

Finally, you don't blunt a knife using it to strike a fire steel, because you use the back edge of the blade.
  11. Mora Frost Knife: great cheap option for a field knife. Good quality and reliable but not heart or bank breaking when you lose it. And no hint of walting about it. Ray Mears' School gives them to his students (disciples?) so can't be bad. But at his course prices I'd want something free...

It'll fit inside a utility pouch if you want it out of sight.

incendiarycutlery is spot on: why use the edge when anyone with a thought uses the back?

Get stainless if you don't need to be striking sparks 'cos the carbon goes from silver to orange in the blink of an eye whenever someone even says 'moisture'
  12. Thought for the price I'd order one just as a trial anyway! So carbon steel one arriving tomorrow, I'll get a stainless one to compare with.

Cheers for the help guys.

On this same note, does anyone have any recommendations for a larger 'chopping' blade? I don't really want a machete, though something with a bit of size to it would be useful.
  13. I have the carbon steel one and its not rusted on me (yet). If you'er going to be out a lot, in all weathers get the stainless steel one as it will last longer.

Never mind using it to spark with, you can get a Swedish flint and steel for a few quid, and it doesn't shag your knife. Better still go to the pikey market and get "ten-lighters-for-a-pound", job done.

Kitmonster do decent prices, with a 10% discount for forces IIRC. He'll deliver to BFPO as well.
  14. Ah bugger, didn't know about the 10% discount business. I stuck my contact e-mail as my armymail one before I ordered some other kit on saturday, do you reckon he'll notice? Wishful thinking I reckon :D

As for lighters, they take up a lot more room than a small flint, so I'm going on the assumption that at some point I'll be without a lighter (again), even if I do have 10 ;) - I've also got one of those swedish fire steels which are top bits of kit, it's just I keep that in my webbing.

With previous knives I've used the back to strike, never had a problem with them getting buggered up as a result.