Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moped battery question

A.N.Other

War Hero
the charger is way to big for that little battery and will kill it, especially as its a Sealed Lead Acid
get an optimate, a solar charger or similair that kicks out less than 1 amp
I use a Cetek, which constantly monitors the battery and changes it rate accordingly
Agree 100%

I used a car 12v charger on the 12v battery for my Suzuki vstrom 1000. It killed the battery. It cost £70 for a battery and £30 for a bike specific charger.

I now have an SAE battery lead on the bike. It is access able with the seat on the bike, meaning 8 can leave the battery charger connecter to maintain the battery and simply unplug when I use the bike.

Both our Roadsters have ( small) Gelmat batteries as OEM.
They are a bloody pest insofar they will drop voltage if not used over a couple of weeks...which in the current climate is a nuisance.
Often in the OC, somebody writes in with battery issues sice they made the classic error of boiling their Gelmat to death by treating it as a lead-acid
So saying, SWMBO's Panasonic gel is original at 16 years and perfect...because I piggy a Cetec trickler from a donor Yuasa I got from a Civic write off. I keep the donor up to delivery power from a mains charger every other week.
Is the battery in the OP's bike a gel?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Agree 100%

I used a car 12v charger on the 12v battery for my Suzuki vstrom 1000. It killed the battery. It cost £70 for a battery and £30 for a bike specific charger.

I now have an SAE battery lead on the bike. It is access able with the seat on the bike, meaning 8 can leave the battery charger connecter to maintain the battery and simply unplug when I use the bike.
a V strom Battery is between 10 and 14 Ah according to the model, that chicken chaser is around 4 to 6 Ahr
for a short time you can use a car charger, perhaps half an hour at most, or bung a 12v lamp in line to drop the current
but its still a bodge, the correct charger is important
also Glass Mat batteries bring their own problems, they can lock up and fight the soft chargers
I stick a big truck charger on them for 5 minutes to wake them up, usually works

but I am sticking with old fashioned lead acid batteries, and the occasional top up and check of the Specific Gravity

having ridden motorcycles for over 40 years, and being a sparks as well, I have seen my fair share of knackered batteries and charging systems
I even killed the battery on my own bike when I trapped the breather pipe by accident (oops) !

one chap I know, who is very clever and highly regarded in the electronics engineering world, fitted a 30Ah Sealed lead acid battery from on of our U.P.S. units, always had lots of them lying around
I did try to give him some help on the matter, but not having reams of awards and certificates along the wall, marks me out as an idiot, (which in many ways I am)

he fitted this battery to his XS650 Yamaha chopper , which as any fule kno has a rather antiquated charging system that relies upond the wet cell lead acid battery to disperse occasional overcharging voltages
the rectifier being crude ie on or off turning excess volts into heat, which varies according to ambient temperature, and the motorcycles state of operation

of course more modern motorcycles, have finely regulated charging system that even monitor the batteries internal resistance

I think it was Monmouth when the rumbling gods of the road, first noticed an obscure whistling sound from his mighty beast
and it was outside the Bear Hotel at Crickhowell, where upon stopping for refreshment, and leaving the now swollen battery to the heat of the parked motorcycle, and in the sun, that it went off with a bang
quite a few motorbikes needed a wash down, and some paint repairs
his was pretty much due for a rewire afterwards, and alternator and recitifier

a new lead acid battery would have cost him 40 quid ?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Both our Roadsters have ( small) Gelmat batteries as OEM.
They are a bloody pest insofar they will drop voltage if not used over a couple of weeks...which in the current climate is a nuisance.
Often in the OC, somebody writes in with battery issues sice they made the classic error of boiling their Gelmat to death by treating it as a lead-acid
So saying, SWMBO's Panasonic gel is original at 16 years and perfect...because I piggy a Cetec trickler from a donor Yuasa I got from a Civic write off. I keep the donor up to delivery power from a mains charger every other week.
Is the battery in the OP's bike a gel?
I think its a lead acid sealed battery
I cant find my glasses and the image is small on my screen
you can often carefully prize the rubber seal away to top them up, the idea being that they are non spilable if you drop the machine on its side
they also have an expansion area with a fine mesh to absorb it as the battery charges up, then the acid trickles back down, like a header tank on a cars cooling system

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Can’t help with your battery, but that bike has the same engine as my go kart.

Get on YouTube and check out “GY6 tuning / performance”.

For about 200 quid you can double the horsepower of that thing.
Yes, but it will still be a fart in a dustbin. :wink:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Yes, but it will still be a fart in a dustbin. :wink:
Yeah but at least it’ll be a bit more fun.

I think those engines are 8.5hp as standard.

Rip your arms out of the sockets if you’re not careful.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I've got a 150cc chicken chaser. Used to do around 150 miles per week on it until covid crap. Work from a nearer station now for 4 shifts out of 6 so 6 mile round trips for 4 days, then 2 30 mile round trips.
Now working from home also. Moped is a Sinnis Matrix 3i. Kept in garage. Didnt start today. Dash lit up etc but not enough power to start. 11v on multimeter.

Battery is a Lextek 12V 6aH battery.
STuck it on our car battery charger for an hour and re-connected...moped started.

My question...Battery charger has a "repair mode", and I have reconnected it...and its still running after several hours.
What exactly is going on with it and how long can I expect it to take?

Pic enclosed - the power bar on right of LCD is flashing 100% every 2 seconds. Battery is not warm to the touch.

Anyone experience with these things?

Cheers

View attachment 541696
This is you, this is!

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I have a mate called twelvebellies
he rides a Honda 300 scooter
he kept going on about having it bored out to increase top speed ?
I took it for a spin, and whilst being no racing snake it soon whipped me up to 60mph with a little more to go
he sees about 45 max
my suggestion of losing a little weight instead did not go down well
( he is around 22 stone and 6 foot 3)

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Yeah but at least it’ll be a bit more fun.

I think those engines are 8.5hp as standard.

Rip your arms out of the sockets if you’re not careful.
Only if you've got Navynoodle arms. :boogie: :wink:

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
a V strom Battery is between 10 and 14 Ah according to the model, that chicken chaser is around 4 to 6 Ahr
for a short time you can use a car charger, perhaps half an hour at most, or bung a 12v lamp in line to drop the current
but its still a bodge, the correct charger is important
also Glass Mat batteries bring their own problems, they can lock up and fight the soft chargers
I stick a big truck charger on them for 5 minutes to wake them up, usually works

but I am sticking with old fashioned lead acid batteries, and the occasional top up and check of the Specific Gravity

having ridden motorcycles for over 40 years, and being a sparks as well, I have seen my fair share of knackered batteries and charging systems
I even killed the battery on my own bike when I trapped the breather pipe by accident (oops) !

one chap I know, who is very clever and highly regarded in the electronics engineering world, fitted a 30Ah Sealed lead acid battery from on of our U.P.S. units, always had lots of them lying around
I did try to give him some help on the matter, but not having reams of awards and certificates along the wall, marks me out as an idiot, (which in many ways I am)

he fitted this battery to his XS650 Yamaha chopper , which as any fule kno has a rather antiquated charging system that relies upond the wet cell lead acid battery to disperse occasional overcharging voltages
the rectifier being crude ie on or off turning excess volts into heat, which varies according to ambient temperature, and the motorcycles state of operation

of course more modern motorcycles, have finely regulated charging system that even monitor the batteries internal resistance

I think it was Monmouth when the rumbling gods of the road, first noticed an obscure whistling sound from his mighty beast
and it was outside the Bear Hotel at Crickhowell, where upon stopping for refreshment, and leaving the now swollen battery to the heat of the parked motorcycle, and in the sun, that it went off with a bang
quite a few motorbikes needed a wash down, and some paint repairs
his was pretty much due for a rewire afterwards, and alternator and recitifier

a new lead acid battery would have cost him 40 quid ?
Without wanting to start an argument, what you have described and hinted at is the danger of using the wrong battery type with the wrong charging system.

A vehicles charging system is designed to charge (generally) one type of battery, be it conventional lead-acid, VLRA, AGM, Lead Calcium, Flooded, Spiral coil or Gel.
All these types have specific charging needs and uses.
For example, retrofitting a vehicle that should have an AGM battery with a lead-acid battery will shorten the life of the battery at best, cause the battery to explode at worst - due to the different charge voltages applicable, Lead-acid generally have a limit of 14.2VDC, AGM have a limit of 15.5VDC. The lead-acid battery will have it's electrolyte boiled off and potentially distort & short out the plates. Conversely the lower charge level for a lead-acid battery to accept charge is 13.5VDC, whereas an AGM battery will charge at 12.6VDC in the right conditions.
Only ever charge a battery with a charger suitable for it's type (most modern chargers are switchable) and only ever replace a battery like-for-like.

If the battery needs charging often or is slow to accept charge, it could be the usage pattern, charge alternator fault or simply the battery is end-of-life. Batteries generally have a design life of three years, anything more is a bonus.
A rechargeable battery of any type (except Lithium Ion) will only allow a current flow of no more than required to charge it, regardless of the available current, see Ohms Law for details ;)
It is the voltage that 'pushes' current into the battery, wrong voltage = wrong charge current.

Optimate charger in use on the bike today, in battery maintenance mode.

20210122_174413_resized.jpg

Latest Threads