• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Moon at the moon

Dubious science. The moon will appear to be bigger than normal tonight, for reasons more fully explained by the expert here BBC News - 'Bigger and brighter supermoon' to light up night sky

If you want to negate the effects of the optical illusion, the article says:
"She explained that when the Moon was high in the sky, it looked normal.

But as it got closer to the horizon, a "kind of optical illusion" occurred where it looked bigger when compared with trees or houses, she said.

She suggested it might be possible to dispel the illusion by turning away from the Moon, bending over and looking at the sky from between your legs."

I'll try most things in the interests of science, but a lot of poofs will be coming out of the pubs about that time, and I am not that keen to make new friends.

"It's at its most impressive when the Moon is close to the horizon ie when it's rising or setting - people will need to check online for rising and setting times for their locality."
I liked this useful bit. It's a full moon and tends to rise as the sun sets, no great need for a clock.

Latest Threads