MOOCs (Massive Open On-line Courses)

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by bobthebuilder, Aug 30, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone come across or done MOOCs?

Its a new online education set up where top universities offer short courses free. There is a wide selection of courses available. I'm currently enrolled on a couple of businesses courses, which are as good as anything I did on my MBA. Very highly recommended. They don't offer a formal qualification, but, on the other hand, they are free and there is no time pressure.

In the business section, there are some great courses for people looking to widen their understanding of how business works. I know of one company about to start its annual strategy round which has put all of its business area managers through a MOOCs module on strategy planning.

MOOCs may be the start of a revolution in education. Where is the downside?

MOOC List | A complete list of Massive Open Online Courses (free online courses) offered by the best universities and entities.
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Hadn't come across it at all but it looks very interesting. if a bit US-centric at the moment. Newsnight did a programme about it - did anyone see it? BBC News - Massive open online courses - threat or opportunity? (it's long gone from BBC i-player sadly)

I guess the downside for some people is the "no academic credit" bit?
  3. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

I've signed up to do "From the Big Bang to Dark Energy". 4 weeks with Tokyo University. Very interesting so far!
  4. I'm enjoying New Models of Business in Society with the university of Virginia. So far, so good; the lecturer is engaging, the topic thought provoking and the discussion is pretty lively. On the down side, the lack of student assignments and exercises means there is no IP in the EDIP, but it is what is is.

Overall, i am very impressed. Not much in life is free, but this is....
  5. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

However I'm seriously struggling with some of the "homework". Despite the assurance that only "high school" maths would be needed we are currently trying to calculate what distribution of dark matter would lead to the observed effect that the galactic rotation curves are flat instead of being proportional to one over the square root of their distance from the galaxy centre. Apparently it involves calculus and no I'm not sure I actually understood the question (or any of the hints on the very useful course forums!) Back to calculus 101 for me first by the look of it...
  6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Just signed up for a 9 week Systems Engineering MOOC from the University of New South Wales.

I'm considering slapping in for an OU degree later this year and I figure this will be a good taste of things to come, as well as an assessment of my own commitment and ability to get off my arse and do this.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ravers

8. I've just finished two; The Power of Macro Economics and its twin on Micro-Economics. I didn't do any of the "homework" or bother with the certificate; I was simply delving in to improve my knowledge.

Just started one on public speaking which, at Week 2, has been pretty good.
  9. ALISON is a great resource for free course

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Anyone know of any useful military related MOOCs?
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  11. I am starting the basic musical course. I play instruments but have never done music notation. I have never learnt to read music and just work on what fingers to move and how it sounds. I am hoping for some enlightenment on written music.
  12. Ravers

13. Ravers

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1