Montenegro chooses independence

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DrStealth, May 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

rampant pissant nationalism?
    a people/culture finding thier own way?
    is decentralisation/devolution a natural progression of democratic evolution?
  2. the montenegins have always felt different from Serbs, so its a natural progression as it was felt that continued association with Serbia is not to their benefit.

lets hope it will be a peaceful split without the wars that has followed other seccessions from Yugoslavia.
  3. More importantly..........................................

Whats the beer and women like?
  4. I think the woman are all called Hugo.

And there's the good, the bad and the ugly.
  5. Potentially interesting situation here. A few years ago when I was in the area - Dubrovnik specifically - there was a fair amount of tension, primarily because the pro-independence rumblings were increasing in Montenegro at the time. The Federal Yugoslav Government had stationed a predominantly Serbian Army Brigade (or Corps?) - the 5th I believe - in the country, and the border with Croatia had been closed. The Montenegrin government actually went ahead and introduced the Euro currency in preference to the Federal dinar.

I notice that the pro-independence supporters are using the old Montenegrin monarchist flag, which might point to a possible restoration of the Montenegrin royal family. Such a suggestion is not as unlikely as it sounds; a restored monarchy is certainly politically possible, it would - like the adoption of the Euro currency - put more distance between Serbia and Montenegro, and it would probably garner international backing, particularly in Italy, where the Montenegrin princess Elena Petrovic-Njegos (1873-1953), daughter of King Nicholas I of Montenegro, was the wife of King Victor-Emmanuel III of Italy.

Interestingly, despite Montenegro being pro-Allied during the Great War, they were handed over to the newly-formed Kingdom of Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes upon its formation post-1918, following a referendum of sorts which was rigged by Serbian elements within the country. A guerilla war against the new 'Yugoslav' authorities was fought until 1925.
  6. Don't ask how I know this but...

The government in Montenegro is very pro-monarchy, and they are already giving the King an hereditary seat in Parliament, full diplomatic immunity and he is moving back into two palaces shortly.

On top of that, there apparantly were quite strong links historically between the Montenegran and British Royal families. Could be an interesting situation.
  7. It will be.

As of last week, beer was sh1t (but I don't like lager), and the women were fantastic (as always). Beuatiful place. Just watch out for the normal crooks who like to 'frisk' the tourist.

Look here: for Crown Prince (aka King) Nicholas Petrovic-Njegoš

Dubrovnik is of course in Croatia, not Montenegro or Serbia - but you knew that I'm sure. Give me a time-frame and I'll happily PM you with which VJ units were on the Montengrin side of the border facing you...
  8. Yes, Dubrovnik is very much in Croatia, as the locals were never done telling me, though geographically it is somewhat isolated from the rest of the country. If memory serves, I was there in '98 (though it may have been a year later - bloody memory must be going 8O ), so it was at least some three years after the last time the city was shelled; there was quite a bit of physical evidence of the bombardment still about and repairs were well under way, though I noticed that the Serbian Orthodox Church was notably still little more than a burnt-out ruin, as were quite a number of the hotels outside of the city's walls. I recall reading, and being told by the locals, that it was Montegrin militia units which were primarily responsible for the shelling of the city.

It was also interesting to note that the Croatians were quite insistent on pointing out that Croatia was not part of the Balkans, but rather a European country, and consequently the Venetian heritage of Dubrovnik and such places as Korchula was strongly emphasised.
  9. Depending on the month, assuming 1998, we may well have crossed paths in the dark or spied each other across the border. :) In June, I spent a while in Herceg Novi - a stone's throw from Dubrovnik but on the other side of the line. And in September I was in both places having to take a rather hairy detour via Trebinje (BiH) to get from one place to the other - due to borders being closed and the threat of NATO bombing!
  10. We might very well have nearly crossed paths merkator - nothing would surprise me about that place; it was almost like something out of an Agatha Christie novel, so much did it seem that the alleys and backstreets had been deliberately set down to appear tailor-made for skullduggery. I attended Mass in the small church - St. Blaise's - on the main street (Placa?), just beside the 'Kafe Kavana', and stupidly blessed myself in the Orthodox fashion (a family tradition) - suffice it to say that if looks could have killed I'd be stone dead...looking back, I suppose it was lucky I wasn't lynched :omg:

At the time I was there (whenever it was exactly), there was some bother in Medjugorje which apparently stemmed from a raid by peace-keeping forces on some bank or other - anyway, rumour had it that the peacekeepers (SFOR?) were stoned by a large crowd of pilgrims.
  11. I have no idea who you are or your background, but if you were that Irish light colonel on the bus from Dubrovnik to Sarajevo who couldn't stop bragging about his position in HQ SFOR, then our paths certainly crossed!!!! :) :) :)

Always the quickest and easiest way to work out which tribe the local was from. Which way the hands went was the dead cert!

Don't remember that one myself. My biggest fear in Montenegro was the daily coverage on local tv about NATO bombing. Couldn't get my flight out of Belgrade that time as BA suspended the flights - hence the mad dash by bus, bus, taxi, taxi and 3rd bus via Trebinje to Dubrovnik. Although I do remember a very large looking Croatian policeman waking me at 4am by putting his rather large boot into my back (gently - fortunately) while I was cured up at the bus station waiting tfor the 7am departure. And then, about 20 hours later having to wake up an even larger Bosnian Serb policeman in Zvornik to let me get back on the bus and out the country! That's all I remember about their coppers - fcukking large!

BTW. The Montengins have another slightly smaller version of Dubrovnik in Budva. Streets are even narrower and spookier. But the girls are cracking!!!

12. The coastal strip in Montenegro was not part of the old Njegos Kingdom, and shares the Venetian history of the Croatian coast. Many Catholic churches as well as Orthodox.

Not disagreeing with other comments. I would just add, dont overlook the relative narrowness of the vote, and dont assume that no good citizens still felt ties with Serbia. Good luck to them all. It's a beautiful country with, they say, the tallest people in Europe.
  13. Concerning the Montenegro independence vote several questions spring to mind. What will be the overall geo-political effect on the Balkans? Will it enhance their chances at the Eurovision Song Contest? Do their women give head?
  14. So Serbia just lost its last link to the Adriatic and is now landlocked? Wonder if that means the navy is going to get P45'd en-masse. I'm sure HM Treasury will be watching this situation closely - I mean, if they can find someone to flog off the UK's coastal areas to just think of the savings they could make by then get rid of the Royal Navy. ;)