Montane Lakeland 100/50

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by jack-daniels, Aug 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well I took the plunge and entered the 50 miler.....anyone else fancy it?!
    Jolly little jaunt over the hills and all that!
  2. I have entered as well. Looking forward to it, its going to be a long day.

Are you going to get up to any of the recce runs? first one is early Nov.
  3. I will be but not the November one as I'm working. You done it before? I'll be doing most of my hill training in Brecon as it's nearer than the Lakes for me.
  4. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Happy to advise. My longest race is just over 40 miles across the North York Moors, which took just under 6 hours, but I've done 30 road marathons (several running for the Army and one Combined Service vest) and about 20 off-road marathon equivalents. I've put plenty of soldiers through marathons and still reckon that a bloke who is comfortable with the CFT (or whatever it's called these days) can do a 3:30 to 4:15 marathon on a pretty short work-up of a month or so.

What's your current training regime and what's your target?

The old rule of thumb is that you start to struggle in runs at about 3 times your daily average mileage. That means an awful lot of long slow distance for you. You also need to learn the art of eating on the hoof, but if you've a background of tabbing (Brecon and the 'Shot suggests you do), then you'll already know how to do that and you'll have the feet, joints etc and mental attitude too.

Having said that, there's some very sensible advice on the event website. And I think I've earlier referred you to the LDWA challenge events and the FRA websites (look at Bob Graham round and long distance challenges) for training advice and events to enter.
  5. I haven't done the Lakeland event before, but its not my first ultra. Just got some dates of the recce runs, going to get to them if possible. No real concerns over the nav but want to at least get out of sight of the start line before checking the compass! Plus they will hopefully make some good training runs :

Nov 7th is confirmed, Pooley Bridge to Ambleside (26miles)

Others: (not yet confirmed)

Jan 16th Coniston to Buttermere (25 miles)
    March 27th Ambleside to Coniston (16miles)
    May 15th Buttermere to Dalemain (34miles)
    June 25th-26th 2 day recce of the full 50 route
  6. Are they all recces for the 50 miler?
  7. I believe they will cover the full 100 mile course. From the email they sent out there will be access to a runners area on the site as of Oct 1st. In there you should be able to see the route, and from that work out which recces cover the 50 miler and which ones cover parts of the 100 route.
  8. Ahhh....I haven't had the email from them yet! Back of the list as usual!
  9. The mail is sent out automatically as soon as you enter I think. The one I recieved looked automated and has the subject of "Welcome!!". May be worth a check of the junk mail folders, although there is not huge amounts of info it just happened to mention about the user area on the site being available in Oct, that you can keep in touch via facebook, that both races are hard and a little bit about 'Fix The Fells'
  10. Seen that. I've logged onto their forum to pick the brains of the previous entrants as I'll certainly need it!
  11. Oh, and with all this kit reviewing going on if any running firm out there would like me to trial any gucci running kit/waterproofs etc then get in touch!!
  12. Oh yes, new set of fell runners would be nice!

Have you checked out the Competitor Area yet? I'm off to locate the necessary O/S maps, would be much happier with some 1:25000 maps. I have a list of the checkpoints so just need to see how many maps it covers.
  13. Yup, lots of useful info there. You're best bet with regards the map is get the Harveys BMC 1:40000 of the Lakes as it's the one they use and has the whole course on one map, I've plotted the check points on mine and it's scary!!
  14. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer