Monocular night sight, helmet mounted

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Mr Happy, Jul 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I am aware that some SpecOps folk from other countries (at least) have some kind of monocular night sight which flips down from their helmets which works in conjunction I believe with a laser mounted on their rifles. Seems quite clever to me, is there any reason why we are not replicating this or do we have some other solution that I am not aware of? Just asking, please bare in mind opsec when replying.

2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Errr....see all of those flat plates on the front of helmets in a lot of the photographs from Afghanistan and Iraq? It is a special forward mounting plate for the packets of Lambert and Butler with the special clamp fittings on the back....or something like that!

3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

There's other developments as far as NV kit goes which massively enhances the capabilities for both finding AND seeing opfor in the dark, or even daytime for that matter. Probably breaching opsec to go into detail, but it's good stuff, albeit only 1x mag.

As for using lasers with head-mounted NV scopes, it's a good idea for close quarters, and snap-shooting, but not a great deal of use for longer range work - with a helmet mounted NV unit, just popping the weapon into the shoulder without looking through a weapon-mounted NV scope would mean that you had no way of knowing whether the weapon was properly verticle or not, like you do with cross-hairs, so you might be off a lot of the time.

As for if or why our SF guys use something like it - no idea, but not a great help to inf. in general for the reasons above.

4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Monocular matey... monocular

5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

What, you mean just the one eye/lense rather than two? Bugger it, I thought I had broken one lense off mine in 2003 - the CQMS even tried to bill me for "ocular, loss of" !

6. Something else you will only see on operations very gucci bit of kit
    someone tried to aquire one .Only his plt being given a bill for ten grand
    made it reapear at the bottom of a sangar one night.

Many years ago we had an earlier version.For a laugh I removed it from the box cpl checked box went white .Ran off to get sgt I replaced it
    Unfortunatly couldn't keep face straight .Got to run round perimeter of camp many,many times .It was still worth it .

7. These things have been issued as far back as 2003 that I know of (maybe further) and the design was slightly upgraded in 2005. It is used in conjuction with the LLM (LINK) which is mounted on the front right of the modified hand guard.

8. from here :www.rusi.org/downloads/assets/Bain,_The_Infantry_Section.pdf

so what youve suggested is already in service, personnally i didnt make much use of either the visable beam let alone the IR beam, however the the torch feature is used a lot

9. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

All the kit that's being developed is commercially available and not breaching OPSEC as far as I'm aware.

NVG's etcetc aren't anything special anyway. Anyone can buy issue ones from the suppliers, from the monacle to Lucie.