monitoring your network

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by spannermonkey, Feb 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just after a bit of advice,

how can i monitor what is happening on my home network?
    i have three users that have permission to use my Wi Lan and i just want to monitor what is going on..

i have heard of packets, but im not sure what to use and how to translate what i information i get?
    anyone got any experience of this?
    just to add the users are all family members
  2. msr

msr LE

You would have to set up a proxy server:, but if you are not sure what packets are, this may well be beyond your capabilities.

P.S. Why not just trust them?
  3. good point about trust but that has already been broken, im more worried about an individual downloading on my Ip than watching what pages are being looked at, as my system keeps slowing down
  4. Download a copy of Kismet and fire it up.

Trawl your local area for wireless networks and perform a sort on the list.

Arrow down and select your wireless network.

Hit character C and this will list all hosts (PC's) currently connected to your AP (wireless hub). From here you can identify who is piggybacking on your wireless connection and yes - these days it is very common.
  5. Cow

Cow LE

Who is using the WiFi is not the question, rather, for what/how much they are using it.

What make of router do you have? There may be a way to put on some kind of QoS (Quality of Service) restriction so that you take priority.
  6. Cant you read Moo-Head
  7. Cow

Cow LE

Can't you?
  8. QoS does not restrict users - it will prioritise/mark packets before they are sent down the wire.

You are getting confused with access-lists.
  9. Cow

Cow LE

Which is why I said 'Some kind of QoS'. On my router, under the QoS section, it allows you to give priority via a number of different options including Device, Ethernet and Application.

I agree with you that in the strictest terms, this isn't a exact type of QoS but in this case, it may work for this user without them having to learn something complicated.
  10. Go to run type cmd then type in netstat.(netstat help) for more info google netstat
  11. No Cow - apologies, you are quite right. I should have read more into the post - it sort of threw me off track with his reference to using his IP. I assumed by reading spanners second entry that he had concerns about 'Others' using his wireless connection from outside his home and not internal family members. My approach wast to block the unwanted hosts from accessing his network.

As Jaybee states you could use the netstat command but you need to ensure you dont have any applications open that use the web or you will notice all kinds of connections that would be hard to filter unless you knew what you were looking for - such as a bit torrent client.