Mongomania - can we survive it?

I find myself becoming more and more alienated from the "modern" world.

I don't watch soaps, reality TV or any "shopping channels" and I get told off for pointing out various rip-offs.

I refuse to pay for Sky TV channels - why would I pay to watch channels full of adverts?

My family, including SWMBO, think I am a cynical dinosaur.

Who has the Mess Webley?

Ten years ago, when this thread was born, the term 'snowflake' as a pejorative had yet to be coined.
I think we have gone beyond critical mass now with celeb kultur and associated emotive hysteria. We now have actresses not long out of school crowbarred into being some UN figurehead on feminism. It's now fashionable to be a victim of some sort. If you are not a victim them a situation can easily be engineered to enable a claim to victim-hood.
I think, since 2008, we in the UK have entered a new age. Various stereotypes/demographs needed their own 9/11 to use as an emotional anchor. I think Grenfell pretty much sealed the deal.

Sometimes a "Holy Necro" is prescient, I suspect that even the most 'Cassandra' of us would not have expected societies ignorance and increased decadence to have advanced so.

The entertainment media in many of its its forms has become unwatchable, to a degree that its value as simple escapist entertainment is overlaid with humorless 'On message' educational nagging and hectoring prods, "Star Wars’ first woke robot, L3-37" article in the Atlantic rattles on about important cultural messages rather than is 'SOLO' a good space heist movie...

As to important discussions on news and current events, thoughtful discourse is relegated to simple binary perspective soundbites 'BBC's explainers' being a case in point throw some piecharts a single voice 2 minute piece to camera, and a couple of hundred words and bobs your uncle*, all you need to know.

*Bob can be your aunt dependent on which of the approved equality and diversity group message of the vacous and puerile politically correct social warrior 'Twitter Mob' is in ascendancy. Feminists Vs. Trans Vs. Me Too Vs. Race Baiters of all hues to name but a few of the moronic fcuktard groups across the intersection arcs of fire.

Worse still when viewpoints that are complicated and or nuanced and that opposes in the least the 'approved' narrative of the week, are then disposed of by disingenuous 'on message' talking heads as at best. Mocking 'an old way of thinking' and at worst the uttering of a 'baby eating kitten stamping potential fascistic dictator in the making...' insert what ever opposition political opponent of choice or viewpoint that the 'un-biased' talking head oppose*.

*Biase is of course unconscious and affected by a privileges scale dependent and influenced on which of the approved equality and diversity group message of the vacous and puerile politically correct social warrior 'Twitter Mob' is in ascendancy. Feminists Vs. Trans Vs. Me Too Vs. Race Baiters of all hues to name but a few of the moronic fcuktard groups across the intersection arcs of fire.

There is sadly some ironic entertainment value in this spectacle though, for the thinking viewer or listener as they watch and listen to the sub par discourse and play buzzword bingo and count the straw-man. For the uninformed, those lacking in real world experience and or less well educated viewer or listener, then it is at best confusing at worst they can can and do switch off listening to important topics and thus relegate their personal societal responsibility to be informed when asked to vote to then tick no box, or make a choice based on secondary or even tertiary characteristics... Well 'they like kittens and have Millions of Instagram followers'...

So in conclussion, and scratching only the surface of fcuk yes its worse than 10 years ago and the next 5 years has the potential to double down on the stupid. Fcuking "Pesky millenials get Orf my Lawn"

Sometimes a "Holy Necro" is prescient, I suspect that even the most 'Cassandra' of us would not have expected societies ignorance and increased decadence to have advanced so.
Have a coconut (if that's not racist).

Having just intrviewed a number of candidates for a position in our company, we were stunned at the lack of basic knowledge demonstrated by apparently well qualified ones. In one case, an engineer who had apparently worked for a large contractor for 10 years could not read a basic P&ID (process & instrumentation diagram) drawn to the appropriate British Standard. P&IDs are fundamental to what we do.

I am dismayed by the apparent fall in standards over the past 25 years.

Christ on a bike, if I'd wanted to caricature the membership of this site as old, pale and stale, sitting at home in yellow y-fronts, terrified of modern life and waiting for death, I couldn't have done much better than what's already in here. That said, in every form of written communication known to mankind, in every historical period, you will find identical sentiments expressed.

I'm going to disagree, the kids are alright and civilisation will not collapse. To be alive is to change and to learn. Stop doing that, you might as well top yourself.

I also remember another generation that turned up at work lacking a couple of decades of experience - wait, that was mine. And every other one for that matter. So what we do at our place is look for potential and train people, mentor them properly and bring them on. We could just sit back and moan I suppose, wonder why universities have ognored the advice we didn't give them.

But hey, you do you. Shout at all the clouds you want.

Ten years ago, when this thread was born, the term 'snowflake' as a pejorative had yet to be coined.
I think we have gone beyond critical mass now with celeb kultur and associated emotive hysteria. We now have actresses not long out of school crowbarred into being some UN figurehead on feminism. It's now fashionable to be a victim of some sort. If you are not a victim them a situation can easily be engineered to enable a claim to victim-hood.
I think, since 2008, we in the UK have entered a new age. Various stereotypes/demographs needed their own 9/11 to use as an emotional anchor. I think Grenfell pretty much sealed the deal.
Do snowflakes see themselves as victims? Is it a corruption of seeing people who had overcome adversity as heroic, but without the genuine struggle?

The obsession with celebrity is not new. I once saw a newspaper from the days after the Titanic sank, the headline was all about the famous names lost..... "and 1500 others..."

Christ on a bike, if I'd wanted to caricature the membership of this site as old, pale and stale, sitting at home in yellow y-fronts, terrified of modern life and waiting for death, I couldn't have done much better than what's already in here. That said, in every form of written communication known to mankind, in every historical period, you will find identical sentiments expressed.

I'm going to disagree, the kids are alright and civilisation will not collapse. To be alive is to change and to learn. Stop doing that, you might as well top yourself.

I also remember another generation that turned up at work lacking a couple of decades of experience - wait, that was mine. And every other one for that matter. So what we do at our place is look for potential and train people, mentor them properly and bring them on. We could just sit back and moan I suppose, wonder why universities have ognored the advice we didn't give them.

The lack of positive suggestions from the old and bold stands. No ideas on mentoring the young, educating the public, improving standards.....

Do snowflakes see themselves as victims? Is it a corruption of seeing people who had overcome adversity as heroic, but without the genuine struggle?

The obsession with celebrity is not new. I once saw a newspaper from the days after the Titanic sank, the headline was all about the famous names lost..... "and 1500 others..."

The lack of positive suggestions from the old and bold stands. No ideas on mentoring the young, educating the public, improving standards.....
Oh, you need to look to the education threads. They have plenty of ideas.

Trouble is, most of them revolve around comforting idealizations of their youth and a pathological hatred of anything that departs from the certainties they had tawsed into them before they could ask awkward questions for themselves.

Looking at hallowed antiquity and deciding that, on balance, it was actually a bit shit is apparently the result of lefty indoctrination rather than fresh perspectives or a different set of values. They Know what's Right.

Have a coconut (if that's not racist).

Having just intrviewed a number of candidates for a position in our company, we were stunned at the lack of basic knowledge demonstrated by apparently well qualified ones. In one case, an engineer who had apparently worked for a large contractor for 10 years could not read a basic P&ID (process & instrumentation diagram) drawn to the appropriate British Standard. P&IDs are fundamental to what we do.

I am dismayed by the apparent fall in standards over the past 25 years.
It's the same in IT, I had to explain to a DBA consultant the meaning of the joke "There are two types of people in this world. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data...."

It seems I have to point out, yet again, that my original post wasn't about "the kids". May I suggest that you reread (or simply read) it?

We need a bloody good World War to get rid of a goodly few.....
Given the rates at which the elderly peg it in wartime, that could end up shutting the site down.

The entertainment media in many of its its forms has become unwatchable, to a degree that its value as simple escapist entertainment is overlaid with humorless 'On message' educational nagging and hectoring prods, "Star Wars’ first woke robot, L3-37" article in the Atlantic rattles on about important cultural messages rather than is 'SOLO' a good space heist movie...

As to important discussions on news and current events, thoughtful discourse is relegated to simple binary perspective soundbites 'BBC's explainers' being a case in point throw some piecharts a single voice 2 minute piece to camera, and a couple of hundred words and bobs your uncle*, all you need to know.

*Bob can be your aunt dependent on which of the approved equality and diversity group message of the vacous and puerile politically correct social warrior 'Twitter Mob' is in ascendancy. Feminists Vs. Trans Vs. Me Too Vs. Race Baiters of all hues to name but a few of the moronic fcuktard groups across the intersection arcs of fire.

Worse still when viewpoints that are complicated and or nuanced and that opposes in the least the 'approved' narrative of the week, are then disposed of by disingenuous 'on message' talking heads as at best. Mocking 'an old way of thinking' and at worst the uttering of a 'baby eating kitten stamping potential fascistic dictator in the making...' insert what ever opposition political opponent of choice or viewpoint that the 'un-biased' talking head oppose*.

*Biase is of course unconscious and affected by a privileges scale dependent and influenced on which of the approved equality and diversity group message of the vacous and puerile politically correct social warrior 'Twitter Mob' is in ascendancy. Feminists Vs. Trans Vs. Me Too Vs. Race Baiters of all hues to name but a few of the moronic fcuktard groups across the intersection arcs of fire.

There is sadly some ironic entertainment value in this spectacle though, for the thinking viewer or listener as they watch and listen to the sub par discourse and play buzzword bingo and count the straw-man. For the uninformed, those lacking in real world experience and or less well educated viewer or listener, then it is at best confusing at worst they can can and do switch off listening to important topics and thus relegate their personal societal responsibility to be informed when asked to vote to then tick no box, or make a choice based on secondary or even tertiary characteristics... Well 'they like kittens and have Millions of Instagram followers'...

So in conclussion, and scratching only the surface of fcuk yes its worse than 10 years ago and the next 5 years has the potential to double down on the stupid. Fcuking "Pesky millenials get Orf my Lawn"

I think that the current phobia of anything they perceived as non PC is anathema for them, even our history which was enacted in line with the mores of the day, rather than the "enlightened" views of today, which sees SJW's banging on about our involvement in the Atlantic slave trade, forgetting our leading role in abolishing it and totally ignoring the Arab slave trade which continued right up until the end of the 20th C and involved raids on all of S. Europe and even parts of S Ireland & S. W. England, being a classic example.
The current speed of communications, where someone can send a live feed of something happening the other side of the world in an instant on a universally available bit of electronic gear, has lead to people demanding instant gratification of virtually their every desire without a thought as to the cost or viability of it, is leading to a generation that believes they are entitled to everything without taking responsibility for anything they do. Politicians like Corbyn & his momentum supporters are using this gullibility to hoodwink many of the younger generation into supporting them by promising the earth without a thought to the costs and other implications.
I think Orwell's "1984" has in some cases become reality, frightening.

I think that the current phobia of anything they perceived as non PC is anathema for them, even our history which was enacted in line with the mores of the day, rather than the "enlightened" views of today, which sees SJW's banging on about our involvement in the Atlantic slave trade, forgetting our leading role in abolishing it and totally ignoring the Arab slave trade which continued right up until the end of the 20th C and involved raids on all of S. Europe and even parts of S Ireland & S. W. England, being a classic example.
The current speed of communications, where someone can send a live feed of something happening the other side of the world in an instant on a universally available bit of electronic gear, has lead to people demanding instant gratification of virtually their every desire without a thought as to the cost or viability of it, is leading to a generation that believes they are entitled to everything without taking responsibility for anything they do. Politicians like Corbyn & his momentum supporters are using this gullibility to hoodwink many of the younger generation into supporting them by promising the earth without a thought to the costs and other implications.
I think Orwell's "1984" has in some cases become reality, frightening.
Couldn't agree more.... I don't think a world war is absolutely necessary to bring some of these creatures back to reality, just a series of power cuts. The weeping and a wailing (whoopin and a hollerin also available) as their devices are reduced to an impotent slab of plastic and silicon could be heard in outer space.

What you get back from yoof is what the old generation put into them,
here is a few examples of what we have given them, there are many more,
we have made them "snowflakes" whether you like it or not

1]Are ‘non-competitive sports days’ really better for school kids?
2]Conker fights: Is it the end for the playground game?
3]Too many universities teach pointless degrees that offer nothing to their students or society
4]all toys must be unisex

We have made them soft as sh*t

I think it is unfair to pretend this is a generational thing - in fact the historical evidence suggests that a national malaise set in during Victorian times. Perhaps it was minds no longer being focused by the French threat?

No, things like innovation and invention were frowned up. In the 20th century it nearly cost us two World Wars.

As for old but thick - see Magdalene Moon MP, of the Defence Select Committee, who still uses the 'carriers without aircraft' line or insists that a future AWACS must be British made - despite the fact no UK company exists that can build a large aircraft (well okay Airbus can.....but), build the right sort of radar, and integrate it.

What you get back from yoof is what the old generation put into them,
here is a few examples of what we have given them, there are many more,
we have made them "snowflakes" whether you like it or not

1]Are ‘non-competitive sports days’ really better for school kids?
2]Conker fights: Is it the end for the playground game?
3]Too many universities teach pointless degrees that offer nothing to their students or society
4]all toys must be unisex

We have made them soft as sh*t
1. Maybe, maybe not. However the epidemic of obesity and type 2 diabetes in relatively young people suggests traditional approaches turn many away from physical activity.

2. A Daily Mail headline?

3. Define pointless! I tend to agree with you, however I am sure most do have their uses. Somehow....

4. Kids will naturally demonstrate a preference. Experiments with wild monkeys support this idea.