Mong Kindle/Ipad Question for technophobe

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by B42T, Jun 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Righto men,

question for you:and bear in mind I'm an utter computer mong

I have obviously a desktop computer which is connected by a CABLE into wall socket to give me internet access etc at home.
    I don't have a laptop or one of these fangled things that people have so that you can wander all round house and get access while crapping/wanking in bog etc (ie wireless).

Now if I say, bought a Kindle Fire would I have to connect it directly into the wall socket where my internet connection is (ie same thing my comp connects to) to be able able to use it around the house?

and in fact is it able to do this?

Like I say don't laugh to hard but I'm an übermong with stuff like this :mrgreen:

Thanks for any sensible replies

2. The best thing to do is get Wireless. Most Tinternet routers provide this now.
    Then anything like a Fire, IPad etc can be logged into your wireless.

To transfer content from your Amazon account you can connect directly to your PC.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

3. My ears were burning. You'd need a wireless router for a Kindle fire, iPad or any other type of tablet computer

All you need is a wireless router to replace your existing one, a filter (that will come with the router) and a power socket near enough to your telephone line that willpower up the wireless router. The LAN cable for your desktop will then run out of the back of your router

Welcome to the 21st Century.

Do you want woofers and tweeters too?

4. Well I'm no tech support guy, but when you say connected into a wall socket - do you mean into an isdn line? I mean, heaving forfend, but you aren't on a telephone modem are you? You do have some kind of router?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

5. Most modern isps virgin sky talk talk bt etc wireless now comes as standard.
    You should be able to persuade them to give you a wireless router for free just threaten to leave.
    They are fairly straight fwd to setup

6. You ought to be able to download stuff to your tablet by connecting to the internet via your desktop, using a USB cable.

7. Yes of course I have a router even I'm not that daft...

I think

8. see "fairly straightforward" is going to turn into a nightmare of biblical proportions I can imagine, its not just a case of yanking the old one out and plonking this in instead and hey presto is it?

more like wtf, nothing works :(

9. heh heh, I would but the missus would get pissed off and the neighbours tbh