Money transfers to Scotland?

My Father's carer has asked if I can pay her in cash from now on.Seems her ex-husband is a drunken scumbag (confirmed by neighbours) and uses their children as an excuse to come and raid her purse and check her account, so I need some way of sending her money so he cannot get at it.
I've looked at Western Union and they want £4.90 to do a transfer.I've looked at prepaid cash cards, but it all seems quite complex.Is there a better way to get cash to her?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
My Father's carer has asked if I can pay her in cash from now on.Seems her ex-husband is a drunken scumbag (confirmed by neighbours) and uses their children as an excuse to come and raid her purse and check her account, so I need some way of sending her money so he cannot get at it.
I've looked at Western Union and they want £4.90 to do a transfer.I've looked at prepaid cash cards, but it all seems quite complex.Is there a better way to get cash to her?
Get her to give you a safe person, either her mum or sister, someone that her ex can't get at. Get their bank details and transfer the dosh electronically, free and safe.

Zhopa

War Hero
You need a hawaladar. Shouldn't be too hard to find in Scotland's major conurbations, or just ask your local CT or FININT practitioner.

Seriously, though, prepaid cash cards aren't so much of a hassle if you get one that's easy to top up remotely. It does depend how much you're sending, though, as a common limit for free withdrawals is £200 per month which may be far too little.

Ones like Transferwise (designed for currency transfers, works fine for sending cash inland) are still likely to be cheaper than Western Union, though, even with the fees.

(info on their cards is there, just quite well hidden behind all the currency exchange stuff.)

Can she not set up a FREE post office account and then draw cash from it for free.
Was aimed at the work shy & those on benefits as basic and free to use & you can access it weekly to pay her?
We used it for eldest child's uni maintenance payments?

Blogg

LE
Tell her to open a new online only bank account.

Don't tell scumbag about it

It's not difficult.

Dredd

LE
I set up an account for my daughter recently using Santander - was fairly simple process. She did not have to be present but did need proof of her identity and habitation. Could all be done online.

Toppet

Old-Salt

It's not difficult.
@vvaannmmaann This. I set up a bank account with Starling in approx 10 minutes online, however she'll need a smartphone as it's an app-only bank. It was really, really easy to do.

Card arrived in approx 2 days. Then just pay her to that account.

I set up an account for my daughter recently using Santander - was fairly simple process. She did not have to be present but did need proof of her identity and habitation. Could all be done online.
Sorry a bit of thread digression.

Can I ask how did you prove ID and habitation?

I need a new UK account and it would be a bit expensive to fly over to open one up.

Toppet

Old-Salt

I need a new UK account and it would be a bit expensive to fly over to open one up.
For Starling bank, it's this- very simple:

Just took a photo of my ID in the app. There's fee-free withdrawals when overseas too.

I dont work for them, honest!

Dredd

LE

A picture of the passport and (in this case) a Council Tax bill for the address which, interestingly, was in the name of the mother as the account holder is only 14yo. Had to take a better copy of the passport (as printed out) into the local branch though as the first one didn't show both lines at the bottom clearly enough. This was then faxed to their head office and we got notified a few days later by email that it was accepted and the account opened.

It was fortunate that the mother still had my surname at the time but as she remarried, she now has a different one. How that will work out when mini-me v2 gets the same, only time will tell.

For habitat / domicile, you need a utility bill (usually) but there will be a list of acceptable alternatives on their website.

I was actually surprised how simple it all turned out to be as I expected the Spanish Inquisition (cue usual memes) before getting it. Even the inconvenience of going to the branch turned out to be fairly straightforward.

Dredd

LE
Should add a PS here - just refinanced for a car and realised that proof of income / ID nowadays tends to be all online - that makes it a little harder to "prove".

It's not difficult.
Whilst she is a very nice lady and takes very good care of my Father, she struggles using a mobile phone and anything "too techy" is beyond her.
Seems The Post Office do some sort of prepaid cards will look into that in the am.
Thanks all.

Get her to give you a safe person, either her mum or sister, someone that her ex can't get at. Get their bank details and transfer the dosh electronically, free and safe.
Her Mum is in a care home and she has no other family. Lives in a wee village near The Broch. Too many people with twitching curtains, and close family ties to find someone "safe"

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Sounds like you are being drawn in to her family problems and I would advise you to stay as far away from that as possible.

Have you spoken to the local council social services to get another carer that won't bring their private lives to work and through that you and your family?

Ones like Transferwise (designed for currency transfers, works fine for sending cash inland) are still likely to be cheaper than Western Union, though, even with the fees.

(info on their cards is there, just quite well hidden behind all the currency exchange stuff.)
I use transferwise for overseas payments, don't know how it works intra-UK. But they are bloody cheap compared to any bank.

Could she not have a word with her bank manager, explain what's going on and see if she if they will let her set up a current account her old man wouldn't know about.

Sounds like you are being drawn in to her family problems and I would advise you to stay as far away from that as possible.

Have you spoken to the local council social services to get another carer that won't bring their private lives to work and through that you and your family?
I tend to agree.

If you start paying by some other method, her ex-hubby will notice that you're not paying by the old method. What will the carer's explanation be - that you've fallen behind with your payments? You don't want scumbag visiting your father to collect the arrears.

The carer's first port of call should have been to the police, anything else smells of dodginess - tax evasion or benefit fraud, perhaps?

Last edited:
Her Mum is in a care home and she has no other family. Lives in a wee village near The Broch. Too many people with twitching curtains, and close family ties to find someone "safe"
consider using poste restante service , I know ( 2years ago ) St Coombs an the Broch PO in the chemists did the service .

Yes.They have assessed Dad and apparently he is receiving "adequate care" for his present condition.The carers are already stretched and as you know that area of Scotland good carers are hard to find!

Yes.They have assessed Dad and apparently he is receiving "adequate care" for his present condition.The carers are already stretched and as you know that area of Scotland good carers are hard to find!
Especially ones that speak understandable English

Latest Threads