Money for Shrapnel?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by MrBane, Jul 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

I took a piece of shrapnel in the neck and quite simply, was wondering if there is any provisions in the Army for:
    "Took some shrapnel on the job? Have some cash! Strapping stuff, carry on."

Abacus look unlikely to pay out, because I've not been mangled to bits, which is a pity.

So I'm not a fan of blame-claim crap, but was wondering if there's an honest system in place for some sort of re-imbursement?

Ta. :p
  2. Mrs Scribbler took some special "shrapnel" in the eye the other day, she's still getting compensation........

3. You could tryhere.

They say they will pay competitively.
  4. MrBane

Direct from Abacus, the definition of Flesh Wound:

"An injury to any part of the body resulting in a restriction of movement
    loss of strength and/or permanent physical disfigurement which covers at
    least in total 15 square centimetres in area or in total 15 centimetres in
    length which is caused by flying debris and/or a projectile (a projectile
    is any object fired from a gun by means of an explosive charge including
    but not limited to a bullet shell rocket or grenade)."

As I'm neither restricted in movement (Except when it was lodged in there and I couldn't turn my head), am still strong and healthy (Apart from the small hole) and haven't been mangled over 15square centimeres of my body (That's quite big), it looks like I'm not covered.
    I'll make the claim anyway, but it all points to computer saying no.

Don't ask, don't get. :) Thanks for the link to the ACS, and for those that mock, I'm interested to know if you've ever been hit by anything other than a paperclip. :)
  5. Have you got PAX?
  6. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

I hope you have no given your declaration to the effect that you have no live rounds, empty cases, pyrotechnics, explosives or parts therof in your possesion!!!!!!!!
  7. MrBane

Abacus. They gave away a better quality of pen to new members.

[Edit] I've decided to sack that idea. Looked at it, and as I'm not hindered in any way by it, and as the scarring area is very small, I'm highly unlikely to get bugger all. So I'll just try and pre-empt the mortar landing 20 feet away from me and duck before it happens next time. :|
  8. MrBane, I think you need to catch up here, scrub the insurance claim.
    E-bay the stuff .....the walts will go mental for some genuine Iraq shrapnel,
    probably get more.

9. I know PAX pays out for each day after 5 that you are in hospital not sure if you get a direct payout for your injury through them though, I would like to think they do.
  10. I would argue the contrary, but I wasn't there and I don't have a scar on my neck. To be honest, I would thank my lucky stars and use the scar as a babe magnet for as long as possible. If an insurance company has written down that things like scars have to cover more than 15 cm2 (or whatever), it is unlikely that you will get anything out of them.

11. Lol.. sell it on eBay, sue the company that didn't make neck armour, sell it on .. those are your options ;) Joking.. do whatever lol you can't lose money for making a claim now can you? ;)