Money and property when a relationship ends

I am seeking advice on behalf of my sister and will encourage her to follow up initial advice with Citizens Advice or a Solicitor. I shall be returning to UK 19-24th September to see her,

My sister recently started divorce proceedings on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour after a failed marriage to someone who turned out to be a vicious and vindictive character. In the last 5 years they continued to co-exist, living separate lives at the same address. My sister put up with this as she could not see any option (mid 50's, factory job near home and her daughters children nearby) and was physically scared of her husband who is known locally as a violent man. However she finally filed for divorce and the petition was uncontested.

Following the petition our Mother died and now I am trying to find out whether my sisters inheritance from our Mother will form part of her assets for settlement of the divorce, and if so is there any way of mitigating loss. They have no children and their only joint asset is a house valued at 260k with 190k on a mortgage (the house is proving difficult to sell because of its condition and location).

As a mark of the man. My sister heard that Mother died at 03:30. When her husband came in at 0600 after a night shift, he found my sister crying uncontrollably. When he heard our Mother had died his response was "F****** great news, I am having half of that" and went to bed.

Are there any key factors I need to look for such as date divorce was filed. Is there any case for inheritance to be set aside if it post dated the divorce petition? Any advice gratefully received.

Thank you

I am seeking advice on behalf of my sister and will encourage her to follow up initial advice with Citizens Advice or a Solicitor. I shall be returning to UK 19-24th September to see her,

My sister recently started divorce proceedings on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour after a failed marriage to someone who turned out to be a vicious and vindictive character. In the last 5 years they continued to co-exist, living separate lives at the same address. My sister put up with this as she could not see any option (mid 50's, factory job near home and her daughters children nearby) and was physically scared of her husband who is known locally as a violent man. However she finally filed for divorce and the petition was uncontested.

Following the petition our Mother died and now I am trying to find out whether my sisters inheritance from our Mother will form part of her assets for settlement of the divorce, and if so is there any way of mitigating loss. They have no children and their only joint asset is a house valued at 260k with 190k on a mortgage (the house is proving difficult to sell because of its condition and location).

As a mark of the man. My sister heard that Mother died at 03:30. When her husband came in at 0600 after a night shift, he found my sister crying uncontrollably. When he heard our Mother had died his response was "F****** great news, I am having half of that" and went to bed.

Are there any key factors I need to look for such as date divorce was filed. Is there any case for inheritance to be set aside if it post dated the divorce petition? Any advice gratefully received.

Thank you

Hi,

I can really see where you're coming from and I do sympathize. As said before, Seek proper Legal advice, try and be one step ahead. Thoughts of a few easy £ £s really do make them show their true colours.

Andy.

Seek legal advice of course, sooner rather than later.

Having said that; when I got divorced any finances that were to be taken into account were "frozen" on the day the marriage broke down, so even though I didn't get my freedom chit for another 3 years, the financial settlement was all done to the arbitrary date I walked away from the clusterf*ck.

Latest Threads