Money advice - phase 1 and 2

SuperDuperMe

Old-Salt
Hi,

I am basically looking for some guidance on the financial state I will be in during phase 1 and 2 from people in similar boats.

I am not looking for exact figure just rough estimates based on similar circumstances.

I will be leaving a partner and baby at home (I say baby he's a few years old and built like a little tank).

I know I will be entitled to working tax credits but does any know roughly how much? (We will not be paying childcare and other half will not be working due to other circumstances) - so the estimate will be based on just my wage from the army and no childcare costs.

I understand I will get roughly £870 net pay as I will be on ?NERP?

What will my first pay packet look like compared to the above due to starting mid month and paying for hair cut, track suit etc? (My kit list will be all bought before I go)

Also when do I start to receive Private pay? 6 months after the start of phase 1 (part way into p2) or 6 months into phase 2?

Finally what day will I be paid a month?

Sup

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Last edited:

DeeDougie

Old-Salt
A real shame that no-one has been able to shed any light on this as its something myself and a lot of blokes would really like to know as sorting out finances is needed before turning up day 1 week 1.

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer
It has probably not been replied to as it has been done to death I other threads.

But basically -

Your first pay packet will be about £200 light as you will have been given this in cash when you start Phase1.
Your first pay packet will depend on when you start training. So for you, starting mid month you will get the daily rate of pay x how many days you are there (so if you start on 20 Jul you will get paid for 12 days that month (20th - 31st) less the £200 mentioned above)
You get 'Private' pay after completing Phase 1 (prior to this you are on 'trainee' pay).
You get paid on the last working day of the month.

Youwhat

Clanker
It has probably not been replied to as it has been done to death I other threads.

But basically -

Your first pay packet will be about £200 light as you will have been given this in cash when you start Phase1.
Your first pay packet will depend on when you start training. So for you, starting mid month you will get the daily rate of pay x how many days you are there (so if you start on 20 Jul you will get paid for 12 days that month (20th - 31st) less the £200 mentioned above)
You get 'Private' pay after completing Phase 1 (prior to this you are on 'trainee' pay).
You get paid on the last working day of the month.

It didn't mention the £200 in cash in the finances and pay part of my joining instructions, could you shed some light on this please?

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer
When you first get to training you will be given £200 to tide you over until pay day and to buy things you may have forgotten or need. Remember that until you get there the Army don't have your bank details etc so they can't pay you. Also if you start training on the first of the month there area potentially 31 days until pay day and not everyone has enough savings to cope with that.

Someone from a phase 1 establishment may come along and add more detail and confirm or amend the detail

Youwhat

Clanker
When you first get to training you will be given £200 to tide you over until pay day and to buy things you may have forgotten or need. Remember that until you get there the Army don't have your bank details etc so they can't pay you. Also if you start training on the first of the month there area potentially 31 days until pay day and not everyone has enough savings to cope with that.

Thanks for that,

It dose also say to take up to £120 with me for haircuts/track suit. However I'm a live at home sponger so I have nothing apart from my motor and beer to pay for anyway :)

From what I remember, I recieved £40 pocket money a week on pay parade, and that was to do you for 7 days for polish/cleaning kit/ciggies ect, and the cost of this was deducted from your first months pay. In addition, your initial issue tracksuit ect you signed a bill for and this was also deducted from the pay at the end of the month. Hope that helps, I certainly didn't turn up with £200. Think I turned up with about £20, but the more you can initially bring the easier it will be

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
From what I remember, I recieved £40 pocket money a week on pay parade, and that was to do you for 7 days for polish/cleaning kit/ciggies ect, and the cost of this was deducted from your first months pay. In addition, your initial issue tracksuit ect you signed a bill for and this was also deducted from the pay at the end of the month. Hope that helps, I certainly didn't turn up with £200. Think I turned up with about £20, but the more you can initially bring the easier it will be

You must have been in training a long time ago... we were getting £40 a week in '92.

Except me, who got £30 - the b@stards, because sprogs don't need as much money in training, do they?

azimghur1990

Old-Salt
I got £10 a week in 1990.
Was only 16 at the time though.
Went home on first leave with balance of pay.
Better of than my mates who were on YTS at the time.

You must have been in training a long time ago... we were getting £40 a week in '92.

Except me, who got £30 - the b@stards, because sprogs don't need as much money in training, do they?

70 quid a fortnight for me in 1995, 40 quid a fortnight for the under 18s possibly because things were almost half price in the NAAFI for them :roll:
I do remember the talk of "you'll leave training with a grand".
A, it was nowhere near a grand and B, they very helpfully took money of you for your hair cuts, your fashionable corps trackie, a TV and Video player (that I never saw once in basic training) and other assorted "sign here or you'll get a dig" type malarkey.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
70 quid a fortnight for me in 1995, 40 quid a fortnight for the under 18s possibly because things were almost half price in the NAAFI for them :roll:
I do remember the talk of "you'll leave training with a grand".
A, it was nowhere near a grand and B, they very helpfully took money of you for your hair cuts, your fashionable corps trackie, a TV and Video player (that I never saw once in basic training) and other assorted "sign here or you'll get a dig" type malarkey.

Weird that it was less.

You'd think it'd be an army thing.

Rick Wakeman

Old-Salt
Not my area, but I don't think the Recruits are given money as such, but they can draw against there due pay. That would mean a first pay would be reduced by any sub. I'll check

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer
Not my area, but I don't think the Recruits are given money as such, but they can draw against there due pay. That would mean a first pay would be reduced by any sub. I'll check
Look at what I said - they get £200 advance that is then deducted from their first pay.

They get money, in weekly instalments, via pay parades on a Friday, the total of which is deducted from their first months pay. Simples

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
They get money, in weekly instalments, via pay parades on a Friday, the total of which is deducted from their first months pay. Simples

Fekkin pay parades... "Get back, get back ... one more go and no money for you if you get it wrong this time. How dare you count the troop commander's money? How do you know if it's correct if you don't count it... show parade tonight showing spring removed from arm"....etc