monchengladbach

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by opswalla, Feb 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys and girls,

I would like some info if possible, there is a guy started in my company and i think he is telling porkie pies.

He reckons he was at monchengladbach from 2000- 2003 as a telecommunications engineer, he also reckons he was a lance jack and detachment commander.

Now normally this is believable, however 2000 to 2003 was his whole time in the army, now to get lcpl detachment commander is good going.

He is known for talking bollocks and this sounds like one.

if anyone was at monchengladback around that time and might remember the name PM me.

cheers in advance

walla

2. A lance jack Det. Commander?

3. He might well have been, 16 Sigs were in JHQ / Elmpt over that time and DCSA G is in JHQ,

4. I doubt he was a det comd with DCSA G. Maybe JNCO IC planned outages or something.

He could well have been a technician, if he had started his basic training sometime in 98, then done his class 3 tech trg at Blandford in 99 - he may well have been a LCpl Tech from 2000-2003. However, he wouldnt have been in Monchengladbach. He would have been based in either Elmpt or JHQ Rheindahlen. And i doubt he would have been det comd of anything other than a GS rover.

5. Never been in the Ptarmigan garages then???

6. I think you will find that JHQ is in Moenchagladbach!! (so is Rheindahlen which is down the road from JHQ!)

Back to the original subject though - It is possible he was a det commander but very very unlikely as a sprogy T3 tech (which requires supervising all the time) which covers at least the first year!

7. My point SS, was that if i was posted to JHQ Rheindahlen (and i have been twice), i would destribe myself as living in Rheindahlen or JHQ or Hardt at a push - not Monchengladbach. I appreciate that Rheindahlen is a village on the outskirts of Monchengladbach, and is part of Stadt Monchengladbach.

I thought the JHQ Ptarmigan setup was a 1 Sigbde asset, as DCSA doesnt "own" Ptarmigan. Might be wrong tho.

8. Simple solution. Just ask him what unit he was with.

There are bound to be at least a couple of people on here who will then be able to give you the real story.

Lancejack det comds do or at least used to exist. Especially in units that were somewhat undermanned. The det then consisted of said Lcpl and one siggy. :) Seen that a few times

9. It did when I left there a couple of years back.

10. I was a Siggy Det Cmdr back at 22 Sigs and at 3 Div. There were quite a few as Promo's got binned when the first round of redundancies came in during the early 90's.
    But you are talking about a decade later so can't help there. Unfortunate that it is being overlooked that a lower rank can know allot more - but then again I have been out 9 years and I guess it has changed considerably.....

11. And whats wrong with being det comd of a GS landrover?? Gotta start somewhere :sunny: . . . . and you need someone to be in charge of the schnelly run . . . 'Eine Jagger schnitzel my man - hold the mayo on the pommes'!! Chaos would ensue if no one was in charge of the GS landrover surely??

12. It's been a while since I left (nearly 10 years), but I left as a siggy and during my service I was det comd of a SAS/MC, a Wavell, a Node Command and a SW&FC. The last 2 were at the same time due to the unit being posted to NI just as I arrived. When the unit returned I handed the SW&FC over to a Corporal and stayed as Det Comd of the NC.
    To be fair though I didn't become a det Comd until after I had completed my class 2 and left with my class 1 (one of the last class 1's to be run with siggy's on).

13. A lance jack Det Comd would not have been an unusual sight to anyone at 30 Sigs in the early 90's. Have things changed that much since?

14. I thought 16 sigs were at RAF Bruggen??? Unless there was an attatched signals coy from 49 PARA at JHQ. Deep under the Marly bar.

15. We've got Siggies running some dets now