Mollycoddling the young

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by old_fat_and_hairy, Jun 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Just heard an item on the news in which a team of learned psyhc....physc...pschy... head readers has concluded that we, as parents are , by being far too cautious, in danger of raising a generation of wimps.
    Colin Iggulden, author of 'The Dangerous Book for Boys' accuses us of wrapping our children in cotton wool. Is this correct?

Personally, I always favoured wrapping them in sacking and tied off with razor wire.

2. Oooo, you're nasty!

But it's true. We're raising whimps because the gobment is turning US into whimps.

Listen.... If we are told 'you can't do this, it gives you cancer' or 'don't eat that, it turns your piss purple' or 'don't say this, 'cos we'll arrest you' or 'Don't even think about it......' then the chances are our fear of doing something dangerous will naturally rub off on our kids.

Add to that the fact that the media make such a hoohaa about anything and everything, that we end up living in a state of constant paranoia... There's always a bad man around the corner....

3. Kids roaming the streets, parents get vilified in the press?

Don't let your kids out and thats wrong as well.

Double standards!

4. old_fat_and_hairy

I used to believe in faeries, hobgoblins and such like, but now the new 'little ones', the Elv and Safety ones have ruined life in so many ways.

I used to roam the fields and meadows, woods and glades when young, with no fear of anything, save the odd sabre-tooth tiger Now, there is so much to fear. Whether there always were paedos and such like, I know not, but the 'global village' concept with it's overload of information has raised awareness and increased fear.

Bugger it. Hang 'em all.

edited for spelling, grammar and bile.

5. I knew a couple who believed in giving their children space, and thought that being protective or showing parental concern would stifle their creativity. They nearly had my missus convinced but I put my foot down and said "Fcuk the McCanns, this will come back to bite them on the arrse".

6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Spare the cattle prod, spoil the child.

I'm going to let me little'un play with guns, climb trees, play on railway tracks, smoke, drink, fornicate and when she's old enough, I'm going to send her to a comprehensive. That'll learn her!

7. lmao @ filthy

8. A recent UNICEF report (as reported inthe media at the time, said that British children are the unhappiest in the Western world.

Every time there is any issue involving 'kiddies', Brits of a certain persuasion generate a huge amount of indignancy/pure anger about 'paedos' and opprobrium at parents, like the McCanns, who don't meet what they consider to be appropriate standards for supervision. Given the propensity for anger directed at others to reflect one's own feelings of failure, I have always considered the two might be linked.

Kiddy fiddlers are clearly evil. There are also numerous other risks to children - traffic/pollution etc. But to ignore the effect this supposed 'tough love' is having on a generation, is not being a good parent to my mind.

Far easier to say, than to do, however - esp given the huge amount of peer pressure now. If you let your kids out to play innocently on their own, the police would probably bring them back, together with someone from social services.

9. old_fat_and_hairy

I don't mind the police bringing the kids back, but why do I have to also have another social worker. loody house is filled with them. 6 buried in cellar, 3 under patio and two in upstairs bath waiting to be cleaved. No idea where I would put another one. Even the dogs are full.

10. Ah yes let all the little darlings on to the streets to be merry and play with their friends.

We shall, as parents speak to our children when they return from their exploits and learn of their time out in the world.
    Listen how your child tells you of a young boy named Kevin he met. Your child gave Kevin their money and phone, you see, Kevin has been away for a while to a place called Winson Green, but returned early as they had no room for him anymore.
    Also hear about your childs new best friend Norman.
    Norman is always giving sweets to the children. He is a lot older than them but it doesnt matter, he knows how to talk to them. He sometimes takes the children away to a special place. Your child has asked about it but apparently its a secret place and they cant tell anybody about it. But Norman has said your child can go there soon.

Cynical, Moi?

11. old_fat_and_hairy

12. Bugger, ive been rumbled :wink:

13. Was that what happened to you as a kid, then?

14. I didn't mollycoddle my kids, I couldn't, we had more kids than a Brazilian skip! No playstations, no telly's in bedrooms, no dolls for boys! Footballs, cricket/rounders bats, punchbags, bows and arrows, air guns, pet dogs are all a kid needs. Membership of a club/youth group is compulsory, cubs, karate, football, dance etc. Walk or cycle to school in all weathers. Bedrooms not heated all year round. Only books, cards and board games indoors! PC and internet access only for the older kids under supervision!
    Listen and talk to your kids and no subject what so ever is taboo! Result, kids all at the top of class, very good communication and social skills, all good at sports and almost never ill!

You only get one shot at bringing up a child!

Any kiddy fiddler who trys to get amongst my brood is in for a shock, they can all fight like wildcats, Gary Glitter, they'd eat him!

15. Haha! I feel wrong for laughing at that. Good old squaddie humour.