Molle vests and PLCE

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Tartan_Terrier, Nov 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,
    My webbing is getting out of control, I've got so many pouches on it that I'm running out of space on the belt.
    Now as I see it, I have four options.

1: Dump half my gear.

2: Go on the Ginsters diet, put on two stone, and hey presto, extra space on the belt!

3: Start using bizarre and faintly waltish thigh holsters for all my bits and bobs.

4: Get a vest with lots of pockets.

Number one is out, as a lot of it is stuff I have to carry.

Number two is out. No explanation necessary.

Number three is also out, as above.

So number four sounds like the way to go!

Being a tad short on cash (as ever) I've thought about getting a molle vest and using my PLCE pouches, rather than buying an all-singing-all dancing-super-gucci-vest. I have however heard that PLCE doesn't attach too well to MOLLE.

Has anyone out there tried this solution? If so how did it work out?

How did you attach the pouches, just the straps and press studs? Cable ties? Something else?

How well do they sit? Are they firmy attached, or do they swing about all over the place?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Regards
    T_T

2. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

How many pouches have you got on it?!

A mate has one of those things, good idea, but is a bit rubbish apparently. Always complains that he can't get things to sit right, the weight distribution is gash and some of the pouches randomly open (unless they have those little quick release clips).

Invest in a daysack for some of them?

3. Get troopers or Jay Jays to make up a patrol yoke to your specs that should solve your problems.

4. How the Feck is that possible when you use PLCE? :?
    I have over the last few years had all kinds of waltish webbing stuff.
    PLCE is the one that can take the most stuff, tried to place a PLCE pouch on my MOLLE and it did not sitt at all. :x

A PLCE belt kit can at least take Medic kit 12 5.56 mags and you still got rom for atleast one utility and 2 water pouches.

5. I've been reliably informed that many of the RGR chaps in Afghanistan have invested in these "drop pouches" for mags, and have found them very handy (although admittedly quite odd in appearance).

6. I've got all the usual pouches, plus a couple of small extras (maglite, multi-tool, cleaning kit), and a PRC-361 and a flare pistol.

7. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

To be honest, I would double-check if you really need to carry all this kit in your belt order or could you strip it down to bare essentials?

Do you really need to carry your cleaning kit in a separate pouch or can it be stuffed in a utility pouch? Maglite, multi-tool - in a pocket? Into the webbing loops on your body armour?

I'd strip your webbing down to what you really need (eg ammunition, water, weapon cleaning kit, radio) and stuff the rest in a daysack.

8. Is a flare pistol a normal thing for troops on the ground to carry never heard of this one.
    sorry if bone question.

9. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm guessing a pack of miniflares. T_T, yes/no?

10. This is a fair question. If you asked every dept in the army what they think each bloke should carry in his webbing you would end up needing some sort of trailer.
    I am a skinny bloke but have never struggled with capacity on PLCE, but I tend to be ultra realisitic about what I need. If you are struggling for space I would be interested to know what you are carrying.
    Quite a bit of crqp that people put in webbing can go into jacket pockets eg leatherman, torch, snacks.
    You need to be careful that if you give yourself more space you will be wading into battle with half a ton of stuff that you may never need.
    Recipe for slaughter- bullets and water.

11. No, one of these:

[​IMG]

12. Where the feck do you get the ammo for that?

13. It's Danish issue, so I get it from the armoury, with all the rest of the ammo.

14. That's mega! Balnk firing attack..."watch my tracer"

Boooosh! You could have loads of fun with that!