mojo ruined

dudes of the gentry...

ive totally lost the will to live with the TA now.

can you do a pt sesh tonight...no one turns up
can you do a cft this weekend...1 person turns up
dead mans shoes
new job, new house, the commutes a c**t blah blah blah

anyway...what are my options?

leave of absence - see if my mojo comes back? doubtful
Leave altogether - been in a good while and the nostalgia kicks in every so often
not turn up and let them do the hard work for me

Join the ACF as an Instructor.

Pros:

Loads of keen Cadets who will pay the Army money to turn up for a weekend!
PTDs, althought not as much as the TA, I'll wager.

Cons:

Fellow AIs who will be mysteriously missing when PT is on the programme. :)

Leave of absence and give the ACF a whirl.

You have three real options:

Transfer, quit or go with the flow.

Have a word with your headshed; if they are unwilling to change or can't see a problem then it's time to upsticks or quit.

Good luck mofo without mojo!

Leave of absence and give the ACF a whirl.
I know a few good eggs who have moved from the Regs and TA (some both) to ACF and they haven't looked back. Some people might say that keen enthusiastic AIs add more value to HMG than some Reg/TA soldiers who don't want to mobilise. After all they are keeping kids on the straight and narrow during those troubled teenage years and when one of them joins up (Reg or TA) and subsequently deploys, that's got to be a big tick in the box.

If you don't like the ACF you can always get back in the TA if you do so within three years.

Join the ACF as an Instructor.

Pros:

Loads of keen Cadets who will pay the Army money to turn up for a weekend!
PTDs, althought not as much as the TA, I'll wager.
Cadet's don't pay to come.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
dudes of the gentry...

ive totally lost the will to live with the TA now.

can you do a pt sesh tonight...no one turns up
can you do a cft this weekend...1 person turns up
dead mans shoes
The T.A. has been existance for 100 years and you've only just noticed.

You forgot to mention all the twisted socks who despite having 100 reasons not to do a tour still seem fit enough to get promoted faster than everyone else who takes them selves out the unit to deploy.

Pte smith how a bout a tour "sorry sir I can't you see I'm not really over keen on the way the regs seem a bit more shouty than you me ol mucker"
6 months later "smithy giz a hand"
"Simthy? I'm a Lance Cpl now you know"

L/Cpl Smith how about a tour "well sir it's the new uniform see it dosen't go with my eyes so it's pointless me deploying - I might do a camp and a diving course if I knew I would get to Cpl of the back of it"
"Good lad thats what we need real keeness never mind about a Cpl course we'll get you waived through it"

Before you know it he's a Sgt teaching people ambush drills despite never being in one and quoting the Victor book for boys as proper tactics

...can you do a pt sesh tonight...no one turns up
can you do a cft this weekend...1 person turns up...
Sounds to me like your PTI is bags of fun and a leader of men, a real life Mr motivator.

I have heard of a unit like that. Then they got a 'charismatic' ex reg platoon Sgt from the Guards who wasted no time in sorting things out, breaking the PTI's nose & forcing him to quit. Hey Presto, before long, attendance and recruit retention went through the roof.

It's all about motivation isn't it?

Sounds to me like your PTI is bags of fun and a leader of men, a real life Mr motivator.

I have heard of a unit like that. Then they got a 'charismatic' ex reg platoon Sgt from the Guards who wasted no time in sorting things out, breaking the PTI's nose & forcing him to quit. Hey Presto, before long, attendance and recruit retention went through the roof.

It's all about motivation isn't it?
It's about people putting the effort into their pt. Yes I've met a couple of chopper pti's (one of which was at my last unit and I wouldn't have pissed on him unless I could piss petrol, but he knew his shit when it came to phys). But you can't blame one bloke for lack of attendance. I hate cnuts that blame others for being a biff.

By the way, the ex reg sgt sounds like a real charmer (read; knobend).

It's about people putting the effort into their pt. Yes I've met a couple of chopper pti's (one of which was at my last unit and I wouldn't have pissed on him unless I could piss petrol, but he knew his shit when it came to phys). But you can't blame one bloke for lack of attendance. I hate cnuts that blame others for being a biff.

By the way, the ex reg sgt sounds like a real charmer (read; knobend).
People vote with their feet.

If it's crap then they won't bother to turn up. These people were once motivated to turn up and train, what's changed?

As for PT, well I find it's all about the quality of the PTI.

We had one who liked shouting and bullying to hide his innate stupidity. His most famous effort was measuring a CFT in a German Landrover and we did four Km in 55 mins. Attendance fell. He never did a tour. Infact all he did was PT.

We currently have two. One is funny and fair, one is female and devilishly attractive. There's no fall in attendance on PT nights at my sqn.

ok change pt for comms ex

change pt for det maint

doesnt matter the activity, attendance has been falling steadily for about 6-12 month

i only mentioned PT because that was my bag.

I was an awesome PTI by the way, my BMF classes were always well attended but thats a side point.

any pti that needs to shout and scream is mince

My troop turned up regularly, week after week and weekend after weekend. While I'd love to be able to take the credit for that I can't, 'cos they'd been doing that for long before I took over and, by all accounts, continued to do so long after I left. So what attracted them?

- They enjoyed what they were doing.
- It was totally different to what they did in civvy street (we were a radio relay troop, and only one or two had a background in anything even vaguely comms-related).
- They weren't subjected to unnecessary bullshit.
- They got on well with each other, and actually looked forward to spending a couple of hours together.
- A fair percentage had fairly boring jobs, and TA was the most exciting thing they did all week.
- We had a cheap bar ;-)

Basically, if drill nights/weekends aren't interesting then people won't turn up. From what you say, you can't do a great deal to make it interesting. Sounds like whoever plans your training needs to get their finger out. If they can't/won't, maybe there's another unit within travelling distance you could get to -- even if it meant rebadging?

Another thought ... you say attendance has been falling for about 6 to 12 months. What has changed over the last 6 to 18 months that could have caused this? Change of key personnel maybe? One person can make all the difference, and I'm sure the character of my troop SSGT was a big factor in keeping folk turning up.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dr_Evil Army Reserve 74
msr Army Reserve 33
Barrack Room Lawyer Military History and Militaria 14