Module 3 Course 51 Bde RTC

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Panoptes, May 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all,

I was thinking about the Mod3 being run by the RTC in June and was wondering if anyone can give me more info on it. It is being run, oddly, over 2 separate long weekends as opposed to the usual 9 day battle camp.

Does anyone have a rundown of the events on it and how they'll get a long enough FTX into it? Along with practac training and final TEWT before Mod 4?

Reason for asking is that I went on SL09 and passed, but my Mod 3 has run out (6 months valid). I am booked on this course but haven't got JI's get and was hoping someone could give me a bit of a heads up before it began (as I know they are running a Mod 2 at the moment also).

Thanks.

PS- For the beady eyed amongst you, you'll notice I posted this in the OTC forum as I thought that would be appropriate also, but got little reply. So I decided to post it here aswell.

-PAN

2. msr

msr LE

Who writes these ridiculous rules?

3. Regs who don't grasp the fact you only have x amount of holiday a year? BTW you have to be in date with Mod 2 to do Mod 3. I just lied. It worked.

4. msr

msr LE

Anyone would have thought we are overrun with potential officers :roll:

msr

5. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

And this is why your CO can write an exception for you. I did my Mod 3 over a year before TACC.

6. I was considering getting a CO's exemption, but it would be good to get into the swing of practicing Platoon attacks and basic skills and drills prior to RMAS. ie not so much of a shock to the system. (Plus my PSI said he'd not approach the CO about it)

And it is a bit silly only allowing 6 months validation given that the March course is cancelled.

My Mod 2 is in date still, I don't think it even has a "use by date."

However, any info on this particular course or similar styled weekend courses, would be awesome.

-PAN

7. I was asked, just before the end of Mod 3, if I had done Mod 2 within the last 12 months.

I did MTQ2 back in the day...about 3 years previously in OTC.

A pass is a pass...

8. I suspect that that was done in a sarcastic tone rather than as a straight question.

e.g. Cynical OTW CSM to yet another ex-OTC TAPO who has just demonstrated a complete lack of military knowledge..

"... and I suppose you've done Module 2 in the last 12 months too..."

9. I did a mod 3 split over two weekends a few years back. If I remember correctly here is an outline of events:

Weekend 1
    Friday
    Deploy into the field, lessons harbour areas
    Saturday
    Lesson recce patrols and ambushes, prepare and deliver orders, conduct a recce patrol
    Sunday
    Deliberate attack, afternoon prepare and deliver orders, ambush and extraction tab
    Monday
    Deliberate attack and the end ex

Weekend 2
    Friday
    Deploy into the field, Advance to contacts run through
    Saturday advance to contacts and revision of the estimate process
    Sunday
    PRACTAC, returnn to RTC, Ocdt split into groups and have to give a presentation, the drinks in the bar till the early hrs

Monday
    Hangover and a CFT, debriefs.

10. Cheers, for that,

Just a few follow-ups

Will they refresh you on basic platoon commander skills like harbours/ advance to contacts and role of a platoon commander/sergeant and things for all module 3 courses, or expect your to already know it and jump straight into it?

(Obviously I'm not talking a detailed, massive description- but enough to make you capable).

And also is anyone else from here going on it?

-PAN

11. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

If you're going on the week long Mod 3 expect the entire week to be about getting thrashed whilst the ds camoflage the beasting to look like an advance to contact

12. No no,

It's spread out over two 4 day/3 night periods.

I am expecting a thrashing though, I've completed the course before.

-PAN

13. 51 Bde RTC are running Module 3 over the periods 10-14 Jun and 24-28 Jun 10. There are still spaces on the course for those who need to complete Mod 3 before TACC in July.

If you want to load onto the course contact the Courses Clerk at 51 Bde RTC asap. If you want to know more about the course, please PM me.

14. assuming they've all passed MB AOSB

15. I did my MTQ2 whilst in the OTC and I was told that it lasted for life, although I severely doubt that. 5 years later I very much doubt any Mod 3 course would let me on it with my MTQ2/Mod 2 that was five years old. Recently I was looking at going for commission now i'm more settled in my job but to be honest i'm not sure work would wear all the time off I would need. I worked out that from flash to bang it could take me 2 years, taking in account time off I could get from work, lifespan of Mod 2/3 courses completed, and course dates. In the end I decided I was better off going down the OR route.