MODs Move this if there is a need

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Mr_Fingerz, Sep 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I'm posting this here, because I'm not a member of Rum Ration - I have no need to go there. Mod's feel free to move this either to RR or any other appropriate fora.

Right.

Without destroying my own PERSEC, I drink on a fairly regular basis in The George Hotel, in Brecon. I (occasionally operate my office from there (the odd beer and coffee makes chasing clients a better experience), I am a Pads Brat and can spot a walt from about 50yds (my old man was a cloud puncher - dont laugh, he started on real guns (Bofors 40/70) and progressed to TEGWRA and RD (stopping off at Mons OCS and RSA on the way)).

The schwerpunkt is, there's a bloke in here who is ex RM - he's not a walt. Did time in the far east including Cambodia/Khmer Republic. His arse is falling out of his trousers (literally), he won't accept any form of help from the local council (Regimental Pride appears to have something to do with it). He appears to be living in his time in either the Booties or the Khmer Republic. There are a number of us here who want to help, but don't want to appear to him as being intruding.

Where do we go?

2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

RBL or SSAFA would be your first port of call.

I'd go with the latter, if the case workers who post on here are anything to go by.

Your local branch contact details are here:

Powys

3. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I've posted a link on RR so hopefully a few of the green lidded types will get in touch.

4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

The problem for charities is they can only help those who want to be helped.
    Why not have a quiet word with him and ask if he would like a visit from SSAFA.
    The local office is in The Barracks, Watton.
    01874 613304
    All calls go to voicemail but they will get back to you.

I'm ex 29. But that is irrelevant if he needs help it is available.

5. Knowing the local SSAFA Branch quite well, I am sure they would be happy to meet him in the George for an informal chat to start with.