Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by hansvonhealing, Dec 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the Plymouth Herald...

Servicemen and women have received a Christmas message from the Ministry of Defence, thanking them for their hard work and support in what has been a 'busy and challenging year'.Defence Secretary Des Browne said: "In my opinion our Armed Forces are the best in the world.

"Since I arrived in May I have been immensely impressed with what I have seen and those I have met - both at home and in my visits to Iraq and Afghanistan.

"The professionalism and courage of our Service men and women from the Royal Navy, Army and RAF never ceases to amaze me."

Mr Browne notes the support of service families, who he said deserved special thanks.

"I know their support means a lot to our personnel serving overseas. I also know that many sons, daughters, husbands, wives, mothers, and fathers will be away from loved ones over Christmas."

Mr Brown also offered his condolences to those who had lost a friend, colleague or family member this year, telling them: "Your loss and their sacrifice will not be forgotten."

"2007 is likely to be another busy year for all of us in defence, although I very much hope that we might see some reduction in the operational tempo," he added.

"I know you will all continue to exceed.

"I wish each and every one of you a happy Christmas and a peaceful New Year."
  2. Mine hasn't arrived yet. Do you suppose he's relying on the Medal Office to post them on?
  3. Soon to follow: a tube of KY and a note saying Bend Over, Here It Comes Again.

"Exceed" what? Expectations? Speed limits? EU regulations on methane emissions following a night on the Boddingtons? Do you think he might mean "excel"? I know Swiss Toni is only a used car dealer, but he must have a least one Oxbridge educated mandarin on hand who has a basic grasp on the English language.

Still, one advantage of it being Christmas is that there'll be plenty of spare shortbread and Quality Street tins to place your turds in, so they can arrive at Main building intact.
  4. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Presumably he's referring to Treasury spending targets... hence the reason they keep cutting everything.
  5. A fatuous message from a fatuous minister in a fatuous government.
  6. That is a lot of fat
  7. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

The man is yet another nowt but a mouthpiece with little understanding of what we do.

This is the man who said to the Commons. "..the reconfiguration of the allowances does not take one penny away from anybody or from the armed forces. . .Money is not taken away from anybody." Only to have to apologise for getting it completely wrong.

Or has he decided we are overstretched yet? His stated opinion, for what it is worth, says we are not.

He is someone worth ignoring.
  8. Isn't this the same Christmas rhetoric as last year, with a different signature block?
  9. Rhetoric, schmetoric...

Second rate advocate, acting as a third rate minister in a fourth rate government...

Oh, and best wishes to you to Des...fingers crossed ha-ha!
  10. :D

Same shit different day. I feel so.....motivated!
  11. Here is a much better Christmas Message for the armed forces that I found posted on the 'Fed Up Middle England' forum and whic, to me, seems to be what the MOD should have said:

" Wishing our Forces a Happy Christmas

There are a lot of forces families separated by the Middle East War this year and I would like to wish them well and Happy Christmas.
    Their loyalty to this country and their bravery are respected and admired.
    I hope that they enjoy Christmas and New Year where ever they are and that all blessings and the love of God are with each and every one of them and their loved ones."
    Posted by '2Anne'
  12. This from the bloke that came to see us on Telic 7 and had never heard of Op. Granby. For some reason, he was also convinced that the incoming mortars were solely for his benefit, and seemingly unaware that it was a daily occurance.

I like the "all of us in defence" line too. First of all I'd like to know where the "us" came from. Secondly, I'd like to know what we're defending, who from and why.
  13. Indeed.."What's this "we" paleface!"
  14. C0ck.
  15. ''I'n't that nice...'es a real gen'lemun 'e is...'' Bet our lads'l be ever so pleased. No matter they get duff ammo, scant rations and no bonus, reckon they'll drink his health in dirty stream water and wish him well on Christmas Day..Oh, and pull their forelock in his direction.