Modern War fiction needed

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Mr Happy, Aug 23, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I'm looking for some epic war books. There was a time when you could pick up Team Yankee or Red Storm Rising and happily read how some UK/US allied force would defeat the bad guys.

Sadly Tom Clancy (RSR) now publishes drivel and Harold Coyle (TY) has gone a similar way. Suddenly books have gone like movies, you can't make a movie about D-Day, it has to be about Pte Damon and the ethics of war.. No huge SF mission, no huge side story where one character can save the day just plain and simple steel vs. steel attrition war gaming.

Anyway, I'm hoping that someone can tell me I am wrong and that there are some books out there.

The best I've read lately was Total War 2006 by Simon Pearson.
  2. Have you tried Dale Brown? Okay, the plots revolve around the US Air Force, but the central character has the right attitude of Feck everyone, I do it my way!
  3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Dale Brown yes, Harold Coyle too. Both kind of went down the 'hero' can fly/drive anything special agent soldier just obeying orders sir kind of path....
  4. I'm not sure whether this is quite what you're looking for, but my favorite military novel was "The Caine Mutiny" by Herman Wouk.

WWII. Rich kid gets into the Navy, figuring it will be a cake walk compared to being drafted into the Army. Turns out not to be.
  5. "Firefox" by Craig Thomas.

Soviets come up with a technology breakthrough, a fighter plane with weapons systems controlled by cortical event-evoked potentials encephalography. (i.e., the pilot aims and fires purely by thinking about it, without any muscular action.)

NATO decides to restore the balance of power by sending in a Russian-speaking America pilot to steal the dingus.

This novel was made into a movie starring Clint Eastwood. Not too bad.
  6. Gerald Seymour is still churning them out, high-quality thrillers with a touch of John le Carre. His latest (The Unknown Soldier) is about an AQ operative (released from Guantanamo by a mixture of mistake and cunning) trying to find his way across the Empty Quarter to the hide-out his bosses, who have legged it from Afghanistan. His books, with the exception of a couple of turkeys (not recent) tend not to disappoint. "The Untouchable" and "Traitor's Kiss" are another couple worth reading.

I used to like Craig Thomas, his best one was probably "The Bear's Tears, " which had more than a touch of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy about it.

7. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO My god I forgot about this book the 2 books are better than the film
  8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

In the second book, Firefox Down (?), am I the only person that remembers it being advertised on TV with what looked like a lot of guys running around shooting at each other in the snow?
  9. I'm really getting into the autobiography's and have been for a while now. However, if SF isn't your cup of tea, too bad.

Inside Delta Force - Eric L Haney
    First Into Action - Duncan Falconer
    Secret Soldier - Muki Webster
    Eye of the Storm - Peter Ratcliffe
    CQB - Mike Curtis
    Bravo Two Zero is a good read, despite the controversy.

Anything by Chris Ryan except The One That Got Away (too boring for me). I'm enjoying the Andy McNab fiction at the moment as well.

Keep an eye out for a couple of great books to be coming out in the future, Snatch, and Sheel in Wolf's Clothing.
  10. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

Just finished "Unscathed" by Maj Phil Ashby about his E&E in Sierra leone in 2001. Good book.

The best war book I have ever read is:

A message from the Falklands, the life and gallant death of Lt David Tinker RN.

Ed: Hugh Tinker

This book is a collection of David Tinker's letters from school through Dartmouth, his first posting and his tim on HMS Glamorgan ending with his death when the ship was hit by an Exocet. Sadly the book is out of print but I managed to get hold of a copy through Amazon and a second hand bookseller.
  11. Not fiction, but have you read Nam by Mark Baker? Experiences of Vietnam veterans in their own words. A very good read.
  12. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Again , non-fiction.....recently read the first-hand account from the US Army Blackhawk pilot Michael Durant. shot down in Mogadishu, relating the firefight at the crash scene , his capture, detention and eventual release by Mohd Aideed's clan.

<< In the Company of Heroes: The True Story of Blackhawk. >>

Good book...short on first person heroics ( he broke his leg and back in the crash,pretty well incapacitated, concerned that he wasn't trying hard enough to escape....) and long on insights, such as his time flying medevac .

He was pretty scathing about the H&K carbine the pilots carried too - they may have switched to the M4 by now.

Compulsory reading for gung-ho rotary wing types ( that's you Tanya!).

Le Chevre
  13. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Scary to take thngs off site buti would not choose the mp5 for off centre shooting. Its probably great toi drill but **** taking it on safari.
  14. Chickenhawk, not a bad read about Nam
    Author called John Parker, bit Navy but ok
    Author called Patrick Robinson again a bit Navy but good reading
  15. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

ooooj lordy, can 't hit shit [​IMG]