MODERN PHOTOGRAPHY - A CYNICAL APPRAISAL

I, to my regret was always unable to take pictures as a young man, as my hands shake
Later on my younger brother a very talented but realistic photographer (he has another job to pay the bills)
Took me to the London camera exchange and guided my purchase of an East German SLR, that was stupid proof (the met police used them)
Having a faster shutter speed allowed me to at least take a few pictures in focus
Later I found the wonderful olympus trip
And for 30 years stuck to those, wearing a few out in the process
They also travelled well on my mororcycle, these days I have a 50 quid cannon that sits in my pocket, and my Faithfull G12
Camera users are like motorcyclists
I see riders be decking their steeds with every bit of tat on sale to make them stand out or appear a better faster rider
However the mileometer usually gives the game away, like any trade it takes a lots of hours to hone your skill
And tearing around the ring road and housing estate showing off does not make you a skilled rider
I went to a local event, and all the camera boys were there in matching jackets high end cars, and with lenses like an elephants trunk
They amuse me
At least their wives get some peace and quite while they are playing
I would only drop the bloody thing or lose it if I had something that expensive
One thing that does bother me, is being bloatered
Some while ago I arrived before the crack of dawn to take some snaps of an event, parked my car a long way away so as not to inconvenience any one
And put a tripod up
Then the bums rush started and all of these idiots welding long lenses and halitosis started parking on the verges and blocking the road and then walking in front of me, and trying to set up their kit in my line of sight
I must admit to manhandling one fat idiot for his lack of manners and ignorance, he only took two pictures then rushed off somewhere else
They got the message though and left me alone on my grassy knoll
But it really annoys me when after waiting some time a fat idiot bedecked with technology simply walks in front of you and grins, as if having thousands of pounds worth of equipment gives him the right to take precedence over me
I have learnt to speak softly but very clearly to them , and they usually sod off
All except for one, who blocked my view at a very special event
My grandson opened a can of coke all over his back at the precise moment it all needed to be photographed
Swet innocent 5 year old smiling as a stream of coke went everywhere had the desired effect
I hadn't seen that sort of behaviour until I was helping to host VIPs at RIAT, Fairford, a few years back. I was shocked by the Paparazzi-style behaviour of these amateur photographers (accredited phots had special passes). They rushed around with their little step ladders (banned, I believe, now) and would force their way though the crowd, shoving people out of the way to get that shot. Luckily, we had our VIP enclosure but my Principal wanted to wander, and I accompanied him, around the public viewing line, when I saw this venality.

Cartier Bresson is for me one of the giants of photography. Perhaps not to everyones tastes but I don't care. For his philosophy and some of his stunning images see below.

Cartier Bresson is for me one of the giants of photography. Perhaps not to everyones tastes but I don't care. For his philosophy and some of his stunning images see below.

Personally I don't rate either him or Capa as photo journalists. Too many of their shots were set ups.

You want a pukka photo journalist of the same era, W. Eugene Smith. And he was nails, see his Pacific theatre work. Shame it wasn't him on the landings on D Day. His Pittsburg stuff is up there with Ansel Adams.
And as for Minamata, can't think of anything by CB or Capa that even comes close. CB and Capa, a pair of fops, in my book.

Personally I don't rate either him or Capa as photo journalists. Too many of their shots were set ups.

You want a pukka photo journalist of the same era, W. Eugene Smith. And he was nails, see his Pacific theatre work. Shame it wasn't him on the landings on D Day. His Pittsburg stuff is up there with Ansel Adams.
And as for Minamata, can't think of anything by CB or Capa that even comes close. CB and Capa, a pair of fops, in my book.
Ah Grumpy, I think you are being a bit too cheerful there. Actually, I agree with you about both of them as photo journalists but then I don't think Cartier Bresson saw himself as such, Capa yes but even he didn't really set out to tell a story in pictures. I absolutely agree with you regarding W. Eugene Smith's work, especially the Pacific theatre work and Minimata series.

Bordon/hants

Old-Salt
I hadn't seen that sort of behaviour until I was helping to host VIPs at RIAT, Fairford, a few years back. I was shocked by the Paparazzi-style behaviour of these amateur photographers (accredited phots had special passes). They rushed around with their little step ladders (banned, I believe, now) and would force their way though the crowd, shoving people out of the way to get that shot. Luckily, we had our VIP enclosure but my Principal wanted to wander, and I accompanied him, around the public viewing line, when I saw this venality.
I used to enjoy airshows, but at sometime it became a "thing" for twats with big cameras to turn up at Sparrows, build a Greenham Common style structure with windbreaks and ladders etc. on the flightline, then clear off and wander round the statics and food before returning in time for the actual flying.

I always admired the British reserve of those stuck behind this mob who would mutter and tut but not just pull it all out the way as there was no-one there for hours as the crowds got bigger........

We take the P** out of the Germans and their sunbed towels, but our worst offenders (twichers as well) are World Class mongs.

Maybe it has all been stopped I would hope so, all you could see sometimes was a tailplane until the aircraft rotated and was airborne because of that mob.....

Last edited:
I used to enjoy airshows, but at sometime it became a "thing" for twats with big cameras to turn up at Sparrows, build a Greenham Common style structure with windbreaks and ladders etc. on the flightline, then clear off and wander round the statics and food before returning in time for the actual flying.

I always admired the British reserve of those stuck behind this mob who would mutter and tut but not just pull it all out the way........We take the P** out of the Germans and their sunbed towels, but our worst offenders (twichers as well) are World Class mongs.

Maybe it has all been stopped I would hope so, all you could see was a tailplane until the aircraft rotated usually until airborne because of that mob.....
Ah yes, and the little step ladders and "HerkyBird" T Shirts over beer guts....

Anyway, taken at a little private airstrip up the road this summer with a compact Panasonic DMC-TZ80

I always admired the British reserve of those stuck behind this mob who would mutter and tut but not just pull it all out the way........We take the P** out of the Germans and their sunbed towels, but our worst offenders (twichers as well) are World Class mongs.

Maybe it has all been stopped I would hope so, all you could see was a tailplane until the aircraft rotated usually until airborne because of that mob.....

Anyway, taken at a little private airstrip up the road this summer with a compact Panasonic DMC-TZ80 the in flight was when he overflew at about 300ft

1639829522197.jpeg
1639829543534.jpeg

Daz

LE

Anyway, taken at a little private airstrip up the road this summer with a compact Panasonic DMC-TZ80

Not guilty either.................................no bugger trusts me with a step ladder :)

Talking of planes, IWM Duxford are doing a Spitfire photography special in Feb

Photography has never been about a true representation of reality, but a reality the photographer wishes you to see

Latest Threads