Modern day missionary killed by native tribe. Hero or fool?

Missionary killed by isolated hunter gatherer tribe.

• Fool

Votes: 155 97.5%
  • Hero

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters
A Man’s Last Letter Before Being Killed on a Forbidden Island

John Allen Chau was killed by the natives on North Sentinel Island, a territory off India and one of the last relatively unpolluted hunter gatherer societies.

Was he an arrogant fool on a mission to spoil another culture for his own hubris?

Or a Christian hero who was trying to shed light onto some unenlightened savages?

My opinion lies firmly in the former.

For starters, the Indian government has a policy of zero interference with the island since the isolation of the people there means their immune systems will be unused to modern disease.

He could literally have been bringing them death like the conquistadors.

Last edited:
Not a lot different to another faith who want things all their own way.

God didn't tell him to go there. EM did.

You forgot the '****' option.

Not a lot different to another faith who want things all their own way.
The difference being he got killed for his faith rather than killing in name of it.
Hopefully he's not passed on any diseases to the tribe and thankfully not infected them with Christianity

The difference being he got killed for his faith rather than killing in name of it.
Hopefully he's not passed on any diseases to the tribe and thankfully not infected them with Christianity
True. My point though, is that his beliefs (in his mind) trump the laws of the country where he did this, not unlike another group of believers.

A Man’s Last Letter Before Being Killed on a Forbidden Island

John Allen Chau was killed by the natives on North Sentinel Island, a territory off India and one of the last relatively unpolluted hunter gatherer societies.

Was he an arrogant fool on a mission to spoil another culture for his own hubris?

Or a Christian hero who was trying to shed light onto some unenlightened savages?

My opinion lies firmly in the former.

For starters, the Indian government has a policy of zero interference with the island since the isolation of the people there means their immune systems will be unused to modern disease.

He could literally have been bringing them death like the conquistadors.

Perhaps you can go next and try and win them over with your superior intellect?
Don’t forget to wear a goPro so we can laugh our socks off watching you play pincushion.
Mind you don’t infect them with your innate stupidly.

As a grown up he should have realised that he wasn't just putting his own life at risk, but all the islanders by bringing in outside germs.
He was killed by his stupidity, but should have been shot for his arrogance.
If he wanted to bring God to the people, he should have started in somewhere safer for the natives. Like Syria.

Hero? No
Fool? Possibly
American? Tick and, bursting with the optimism that comes with faith and being a son of a - let's be honest - modern day Imperial power, probably explains it. Poor bloke nonetheless but more or less self - inflicted.

Edit: His first contact with the tribe was recorded thus:

“Two armed Sentinelese came rushing out yelling,” he wrote in the letter. “They had two arrows each, unstrung, until they got closer. I hollered, ‘My name is John, I love you and Jesus loves you.’ ”

The effectiveness of his approach aside, he knew it was bloody dangerous.

Last edited:
As a grown up he should have realised that he wasn't just putting his own life at risk, but all the islanders by bringing in outside germs.
He was killed by his stupidity, but should have been shot for his arrogance.
If he wanted to bring God to the people, he should have started in somewhere safer for the natives. Like Syria.
A grown up with a unshakable belief in an invisible , some would say imaginary, omnipotent* and omnipresent** friend who has such a powerful hold over him that his entire life (and subsequent death) should be dedicated to Him (and his earthly representatives)

What a ****.

* And ** except for where the Bible says he isnt omnipotent and omnipresent. Some sort of editing error I'm guessing.

Perhaps you can go next and try and win them over with your superior intellect?
Don’t forget to wear a goPro so we can laugh our socks off watching you play pincushion.
Mind you don’t infect them with your innate stupidly.
innate stupidly?? dont you mean stupidity? funny when you call others stupid but you smash the mong button on everything Baglock posts

Have they eaten him?

Latest Threads