Modern Day Hero - Book by RE former SSM?

Anyone read the above titled book by Nick P***t yet? if so, any feedback on it?

He's a good guy, I was a strawberry mivvie working on the mivvie EOD side immediately after the conflict in 03 and met N P and a few of the EOD lads at the airport, Basra... all decent chaps, can't say that about certain senior lengths in 53 Sqn who refused entry to 12 former 'regiment' lads to their Happy Hour!!! and thats after I was invited by a mate to it and told the former 22 lads were more than welcome!

Can't say I've read the book, but if I come across it in the shops I think I'll just have to have a read of it!

Gundulph, are you still involved with civvy EOD in iraq? you may have met my stepfather if so.

cdn_spr said:
Can't say I've read the book, but if I come across it in the shops I think I'll just have to have a read of it!

Gundulph, are you still involved with civvy EOD in iraq? you may have met my stepfather if so.
I've just found and ordered the book from Amazon, cdn_spr - I was a Mobile EOD Team Leader for the majority of last year out there, PM me with your SF's name, I may know him...

chimera

LE
Must look out for it next week. Knew him well in his last few years in 33.

chimera said:
Must look out for it next week. Knew him well in his last few years in 33.
Chimera,

Were you out there in 03 with 33? Nick came into our Strawberry Mivvie tent with a few of the lads, one of whom (a Ssgt) I last saw in 86 at Gib heading off to the NAAFI with 10 pounds of my own and similar from everyone in the room, he had even taken down the list of what we ordered, he then proceeded to 'Escape' over the wall... I waited until I was sure he hadn't recognised me before asking him the classic "So, how much interest do I get on my 10 pounds over the past 17 years - and where the f&*^s my 2 Cans of Coke, mars bar and packet of biscuits you C&*#"

:D

cdn_spr said:

Your SF's Initials would'nt be R.R per chance would they??

What's the book about?

EDIT:

My book is about joining the Army at sixteen and leaving some
twenty five years later. How the Junior Soldier ended up as the Regimental
Sergeant Major of the UK Bomb Disposal Forces sent to fight in the last
Gulf War. From pre deployment training in the UK, to being the first Bomb
Disposal soldier deployed in Kuwait. From knowing the in and outs of
oilfields, to training with the American Marines. From sharing toilet paper
to rounds. The truth about equipment and the help we needed from the
American bomb Disposal units. How I ended up crossing the border with the
US Marines and the Joint Helicopter Force. Stories of what really happened.
From fire fights to being stoned. From exploding ammo compounds to grenades
left on the side of roads. From risking my life several times to being
awarded the George Medal. From making friends to losing them killed in
action. The book is full of stories that really happened. The happy times
and the sad.
When you read this book you will learn about being a soldier and how hard
it is not to take sides.
Included in the book are lots of photos and the three citations leading to
the awards for bravery. I was awarded a Joint Commanders Commendation, the
Queens Gallantry Medal and the George Medal for bravery.
Read the citations and make your own mind up.

Modern Day Hero or just a bloody good soldier.

8O :?

looney said:
cdn_spr said:

Your SF's Initials would'nt be R.R per chance would they??
No, BS

knew him whilst we were at 35 together.

he know lives just a few miles down the road from me, small world.

Nightrained-

He means stoned as in rocks chucked at your nappa by angry middle eastern types who don't agree with western civilisation.

cdn_spr said:
Nightrained-

He means stoned as in rocks chucked at your nappa by angry middle eastern types who don't agree with western civilisation.
The book seems interesting, however is there much chance of this being another Andy Mc'talkin out his arse to get money'nab?

Nightrained said:
cdn_spr said:
Nightrained-

The book seems interesting, however is there much chance of this being another Andy Mc'talkin out his arse to get money'nab?
you are pushing your luck again you little cnut. :x :x :x :x

he is/was (within the corps) a top bloke.

link to book on amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1903490243/?tag=armrumser-21

Nightrained said:
cdn_spr said:
Nightrained-

Don't think so Nightrained, when Nick was telling us all what had happened to himself and the chaps over the previous few weeks there were a few of his senior NCO's around him, he's a good guy and by all accounts carried out some classic heroics, selflessly extracting an entire vehicle crew one by one from their vehicle that they had just hit a landmine in, while the Joint Forces Crab EOD fella stood and watched, but who can blame him, after all the Crabs don't do mine clearance and NP seemed to have it all in hand!!!

IMHO he is a good guy and no bull shi**er...

A_Knocker_Till_The_End said:
Nightrained said:
cdn_spr said:
Nightrained-

you are pushing your luck again you little cnut. :x :x :x :x

he is/was (within the corps) a top bloke.
LMAO. was waiting for that to happen

Nightrained said:
cdn_spr said:
Nightrained-

I would suggest you know your facts before gobbing off young man :evil: :evil:

Nick is a quality bloke, totally professional and a very amiable and humble guy.

Without reading his book (which I intend to do) or the citations, am certain he deserved all the plaudits he received.

Being slightly controversial:

Does any one know if there is any truth in the rumour, that although Nick deployed as the RSM (in addition to being SMI BD) while the real one stayed behind. He was still only the number two WO1 in the Regt pecking order for commission and that is why he withdrew his application.

After all, it wouldn’t do for an RSM not to be the Number 1 Warrant Officer in a Regt, would it? 8O 8O

Or have I been misinformed as ussual :D :D

ABrighter2006 said:
Spot on Gundolph - Nick is a top bloke and having served alongside him in 2003, can vouch that he is absolutely no bullshitter.

Thanks ABrighter2006, did we share an ale in our mivvie tent? (we were the sadoes in the Marquee out by the edge of 53's area, typical Yank Companies, all their fat sweating employees were housed in those air conned white huts while they kept us and the former 22 lads out in the tents, we were there 3 weeks before they arrived as well!!!)

P.S. An*y Ol***d, never did give me my Gib NAAFI money back :wink:

I was proud to have worked with Nick - he was "my" PSI and together (well, mostly him really) we set up a new EOD TA Sqn back in 98-99. Couldn't have asked for a better bloke. Nick was (even by then) no stranger to danger - he'd already got the QGM for a minefield extraction in the Balkans plus another commendation for dealing (robustly) with some heavy handed fcukers in (I think) Kosovo.
Staaken

staaken said:
I was proud to have worked with Nick - he was "my" PSI and together (well, mostly him really) we set up a new EOD TA Sqn back in 98-99. Couldn't have asked for a better bloke. Nick was (even by then) no stranger to danger - he'd already got the QGM for a minefield extraction in the Balkans plus another commendation for dealing (robustly) with some heavy handed fcukers in (I think) Kosovo.
Staaken

Fr\ I mean Staaken,

I am chuffed to bits he has done a book, he came across a top bloke, wish we'd had a few of his ilk in the Regiment back pre 98! I hope he sells a shed load...

I don't know the guy, and lets face it, alot of ex army personell exagerrate on their books for a more dramatic read. I'm only asking if he may follow in the same mannor.

Now, that i've been informed by a few people who met him and served with him, this might not be the case. So I may pick it up if I come across it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Alsacien The Intelligence Cell 15
Trip_Wire Multinational HQ 17
Cat_Funt Multinational HQ 0